PDA

View Full Version : I've done the hairdye patch test! Need advice

GirlAfraid23
16-02-12, 10:25
I did the hairdye patch test yesterday...a little behind my ear and a little on the inside of my elbow crease as it says on the packet.

I have no redness/irritation thus far in those specific areas but I do have slight itching on other parts of my body, further up my arm etc.

Is this related? Or should I go ahead and use the dye tomorrow as planned?

One more thing worries me, most of the stories in the media say that the person DID do the 48 hour patch test in advance but one woman still ended up in a coma with 8% chance of survival!

.Poppy.
16-02-12, 14:38
If you're stressed about it, that can cause the itching. As can dry skin - which if it's cold, that can dry your skin out, as can the dye sometimes.

I've used hair dye before, and have friends who have and to be honest - we've never done the before test. I've also never heard of hair dye resulting in a coma. I'm sure it happens, but if you have put a sample on your skin you have already exposed yourself to the chemicals, so if you're fine you're fine.

I honestly think the before test is to see if you are allergic at all, more just to test if your hair is going to fall out or you're going to get a rash or something. Which with no irritation, you're fine.