PDA

View Full Version : Barium Enema

cmc46
16-02-12, 12:55
Has anyone had a barium enema? I have to have one soon and have read some awful stories about them so I am not fancying it at all, especially the preparation, my stomach is only just getting over food poisoning which I had about 3 months ago, it has taken all this time to get my appetite back and almost back to normal so I am worried that this may upset everything again.

mikewales
16-02-12, 13:33
Are you having a barium enema, or barium meal ? if its the enema, it goes in from the other end, and doesnt go into your stomach, only your bowel

cmc46
16-02-12, 15:30
It is the enema I'm having, yes it goes into the colon, I should have said that, my whole digestive system is just getting over the food poisoning so I am worried about upsetting it again, almost thinking of cancelling.

mikewales
16-02-12, 17:57
With the enema it wont make any difference to your digestive system, and won't cause any problems. Is there a particular reason they want you to have it, or is it just a precaution ?

cmc46
16-02-12, 21:28
It is just a precaution as my gut hasn't really settled down properly since the food poisoning and the GP just thinks it should be checked but as the blood tests and recent bowel screening were fine I'm not sure whether there is any need but as all this has caused me a lot of anxiety for some reason and I am now on propranolol, 20mg a day, I think the GP is hoping that if the barium enema shows that everything is OK I it will help with the anxiety, he did say himself a month ago that there was no need for it.

mikewales
16-02-12, 21:36
Its normally precautionary, but probably is worth getting done just in case, and to put your mind at rest. If you cancel it now you may have to wait ages to get another appointment

bluesparkle
16-02-12, 23:23
hi
i had a barium enema before christmas.
it wasnt as bad as it sounds honest.
the preperation stuff wasnt nice but as long as you do as they say and stay near a loo you will be fine.
the actual procedure is not half as bad as it sounds either... the staff will be great as thats their job, its painless and over in not much time at all.
please dont worry about it ... and definatley go as it will put your mind at rest.
let us know how you get on.
rach

mikewales
17-02-12, 09:24
The barium meal is worse to be honest, its pretty disgusting stuff to drink. On the plus side you do end up with slightly radioactive poo for a couple of days afterwards !

cmc46
17-02-12, 13:43
Thanks for all your help, it has helped me to feel better about it, I am waiting for the letter to come through with the appointment time on but when I have had it done I will let you know how it went. Thanks again.

Lilyblue
17-02-12, 16:07
I was gonna have a barium enema but i cancelled it as i refused to do the preb, hate the thought of constant diareah, so they gave me a barium meal which was lovely, yummy purple goo,