PDA

View Full Version : from citalopram to venlafaxine, good stories please!!!

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

rockbottok
25-04-12, 11:08
Well guys

My grandad passed early hours this morning. :(

Hope ur all ok

Lou x

pinkdove
25-04-12, 11:27
aw lou i am so sorry for your loss. thinking of you and your family at this sad time.

lots of :hugs: for you xx

Annip
25-04-12, 11:31
Hi Pink dove I am on venlefaxine 37.5mg twice daily. It has taken 8 weeks to really work and for me to feel ok. I couldn't have done it without sleeping tablets and diazepam. I seemed to have all the side effects listed on the sheet..nausea, dry mouth. pins and needles etc but by far the worst was the anxiety and panic attacks and the agitation sometimes lasting on and off all day..thats when I resorted to the diazepam. This gradually helped and although it makes me tired I'd rather that than the panic. It also helped listening to relaxation tapes (Paul McKenna ) which I did everyday. I kept a diary and listed all the things I could do which I used as a mantra each day. Everytime bad thoughts crept in I tried to turn them into positives. Eventually the low mood got less and less and the panic has subsided. I feel strong and I look in the mirror and tell myself that. I have had constant support from my husband and daughter throughout all of this and I am so thankful. Good luck to everyone suffering its awful I know but you will suceed and trust the tablets and time x

pinkdove
25-04-12, 11:39
annip that is fantastic news , always great to read positive stories, really hope you continue to feel well, and i know your post will help loads of people who are starting out on ven.

i am getting there now as well, having more good spells, 4 weeks into the increased dose 150mg, i should settile on that, and get more from it according to my pysciatrist.

well done you for sticking it out, and finding your way back to normality xx :hugs:

Catya
25-04-12, 13:04
Great to hear positive stories.
Lou, thinking of you and your loss. No matter how old, or ill, it always hurts.... xxxx

nicola1980
25-04-12, 13:55
Sorry to hear that Lou, sending you :hugs: xx

Pipkin
25-04-12, 18:03
Hi Lou,

You have my deepest sympathies and a big hug is coming your way :bighug1:

Even when it's expected, it doesn't make it any easier, I know. Just remember all the lovely times you spent together and that a part of him will always live on through you because of the influence he had on you. Our grandparents may be gone (all mine are) but they're never forgotten.

Take care

Pip xxx

pinkdove
25-04-12, 21:03
another not to bad day for me, weather is so drab raining and dull, just want some sunshine, i'm not expecting miracles on this ext release tab, but i do think is giving me a smoother day, not so many up's and down's.

how is everyone else xx

Pipkin
25-04-12, 21:39
Hi all,

Good to see you're doing ok Pink. I'm fine today - very busy at work and that's always good for me as it keeps me distracted. A bit tired though so time for an early(ish) night.

Take care

Pip x

pinkdove
25-04-12, 21:48
pip just spoke to pet she is going to pop on the thread to say hello to you, it;s her son connors birthday today, she is still doing well, but like us has an occasional blip xx

Catya
25-04-12, 22:25
Oh at last!!!! Have spent all evening trying to fix my laptop!
My Google chrome had completely disappeared, and with a bit of my fiddling I then managed to cut myself off internet connection.
I'm back!! xx

Catya
26-04-12, 10:42
Nooooo. Can't stand this. Have just dragged myself up having had a lie in, which I hate doing. I didn't fall asleep till after three and this time had restless legs, and body. The dose is too high for me I think. My mind won't shut off! xx

---------- Post added at 10:42 ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 ----------

Ooooooh wake up everybody! Lol xxxx

pinkdove
26-04-12, 11:39
hi kate have you gone back up to 150mg, i know when i forst took that i was ok for a few days, then really felt the dose was too high, i did post on here sayying that.

i know it's hard till it settles, and it does take time, could you try a herbal sleeping aid just yo get you through on the short term.

i asked my pysc why we can go to bed feeling ok and wake up feeling like crap, he said it is ithe nature of the illness, and does get better with time, i still feel a bit detached in the mornings.

what dose are you supposed to be taking ? hope you feel better soon xx

lou hope you are doing ok today xx

pip, come on and give kate a wee bit of your good news story and advice, hope you are well xx

nicola sorry to hear you are having problems with your kidneys again, hope you get something sorted out at the doc's this morning xx

i am just the same this morning no problems with swapping the tabs, still plodding along waiting on d day lol

Catya
26-04-12, 12:18
Supposed to be on 150 but my dr doesn't really care.....when I did fall asleep too vivid dreams that then wake me up again. My body wouldn't keep still either, or my frequent loo trips! My poor hubby..... xxx

pinkdove
26-04-12, 12:51
kate, maybe the dose is too high then, how long have you stuck the 75 in the morning and the 37.5 in the evening and did you feel it helped you ?

Pipkin
26-04-12, 13:21
Hi there,

Just on my lunch break, so I thought I'd respond to Pink's call to arms!

I think the key to improving is consistency because, as we've all found, venlafaxine takes quite a long time to work effectively. I reckon that I didn't stabilise for at least 2 months and I kept seeing very gradual improvements during that time. It was only when I looked back and remembered what I felt like in January that I saw what a big distance I had travelled. Believe me, I was in a terrible state in January - worse than I ever was, partly brought on my aborted attempt to start sertraline which my GP had prescribed (even though I said I had been on ven before but sert is cheaper).

Kate - my advice would be to stick at 150mg. I can imagine how bad you feel as I had all those symptoms, waking up in the middle of the night with my heart pounding after having had some extremely strange and vivid dreams. I am sure that if you stick with them, these symptoms will ease and that you'll start to feel much better. It really does take time though.

I've just booked a review appointment with my GP for next week. Being the ridiculously organised person that I am (it goes with the job), I have put together a 6-month anxiety reducing strategy which I am going to share with my GP. I think it's really important to show my doctor that I'm taking action into my own hands rather than him thinking that I'm relying on meds as a cure (which we all know they aren't). In case you're interested it involves:

Staying on ven until at least the end of the year
Carrying on with the online CBT programme I'm doing - early days but I'm hopeful this could help
Making myself relax and using the deep relaxation techniques I was taught by a psychiatrist many moons ago
Exercising more - I haven't been running as much as I used to so I'm aiming to get back up to once a day, which I was doing until about 12 months ago
Playing with my puppy (that's not a euphemism!) when I get him in 3 weeks. I don't think I'll have to be determined for this to happen, I think his demands will lead the way and I can't wait (quote me on that in a month's time after constant cleaning up and a devastated, chewed house)
Drinking more water

I'm already doing some of these and I'm going to carry on and see how it goes. My fear is that it's easy to cruise along feeling better once the meds are doing their job but that I'll be back to square one when I stop so I think it's really important to take some action whilst I'm feeling better. I certainly don't intend to be on meds this time next year. I know I am more than capable of coping on my own and believing that really helps.

Now, back to work.....

Take care all

Pip xxx

pinkdove
26-04-12, 15:07
thank you pip for taking the time to reply, and what a great post, i'm sure kate will find it helpfull, i know i did xx

Catya
26-04-12, 15:26
Yes, thanks... Good to hear. I'll have been on the 150, apart from two days when I took the 37.5 in the evening, for two weeks tomorrow..... And I've felt a gradual 'highness?' particularly this last week. Not sure what to take tonight.
Love to you too Lou , I see you're online now. xx

pinkdove
26-04-12, 16:09
kate it was about week 3 when i thought about reducing, felt the dose was too high, but i,m glad i persisted, i think pip is right, and you are nearly there now, maybe another couple of days see if things settle a bit good luckxx

lou hope you are ok hun xx

Catya
26-04-12, 16:46
Thanks Pink. I'll stick it over this week end I think and then reassess next week. xx

pinkdove
26-04-12, 16:48
good luck kate xx

Pipkin
26-04-12, 21:30
Hi all,

How are you all doing tonight?

Pink - how's it going with the XR? Are you seeing any difference?

Pip x

pinkdove
26-04-12, 21:35
hi pip, it's going ok no adverse effects at all, i would say i feel a bit better still the morning crap, but not so bad nd by about 2pm feel quite normal.

really glad i stuck with the 150mg was so close to dropping it, but i think it's the dose for me.

not to see my pyc till june unless i hve any problems, he thinks i should have settled down by then. hope so

how are you doing, hope you are continuing to improve xx

Pipkin
26-04-12, 22:01
Yes, I'm doing fine thanks. The only side effect which won't seem to go away is the teeth clenching. I'm finding it quite trying because it is giving me tooth and jaw ache and now my jaw has started clicking. I'm going to ask my dentist about it the next time I have a check up. I think it's quite a common side effect, judging from posts on here and it always makes me feel better to know I'm not on my own.

Other than that, hunky dory!

Pip x

pinkdove
27-04-12, 12:04
hi all, well i can feel a difference this morning, much more like myself, still a wee bit to go, but generally better all round.

pip i used to get the jaw clenching when i started citalopram, my dentist offered to make a guard for nights as mt teeth were breaking, but i could'nt have slept with something in my mouth lol. don't seem to notice it now tho, the side effect i get is sweats, they last about half an hour and at worst are uncomfortable, slight headache but nothing too bad. hope you are well xx

kate how are you doing on the 150mg hope things setlle for you soon xx

lou i really hope you are coping hun, and feeling ok xx

Catya
27-04-12, 13:59
Nooo. Took the lower dose after all last night and slept like a baby! Lol xx

pinkdove
27-04-12, 15:32
kate see how you go on that then, what are you like lol, maybe you will settle on that, i hope so xx

Pipkin
27-04-12, 20:20
Evening everyone,

I hope you're all ok. I'm just about to head out for a takeaway and then a couple of glasses of wine - I love the weekend!

Kate - talking about vivid dreams, I spent all last night rushing to catch a train (in Birmingham?!) but every time I was about to get on, I realised I'd forgotten something. This went on and on in glorious technicolor all night! I'll save the pink elephant in a zoo keeper's uniform dream for another day...

Pip x

Catya
27-04-12, 22:15
Oooooh yes. I love the dreams. When very depressed I didn't dream at all, and that's just not me. Your dreams are a pointer to your aspirations in life.... or things past.

Catya
28-04-12, 12:55
This depression of mine is NOT lifting.... I now worry that it's more than that. Oh dear.

rockbottok
28-04-12, 13:30
Hi all. Well thought I was coping well but keep breaking into tears ATM. Prob due to my grandad and the fact me and my partner have just broke up ( my choice) I keep thinking I want him back. But I don't love him anymore I think It was just normal to have him around and now he has gone I miss someone there. I have a 11 month old with him and feel quilty for her really an I'm having a hard time letting her go to her dads. My anxiety is high about it. Dr wants me to up my dose from 75 to 150 but is that not a big jump?? Should I not take 1 and a half of the 75 xls? Sorry I'm blabbering. Feel awful today.

Kate.... I couldn't sleep on the normal release tabs so dr gave me the modified release so ask for them. X

Catya
28-04-12, 13:39
Awh.... Bless you Lou. xx

---------- Post added at 13:39 ---------- Previous post was at 13:39 ----------

I have wondered about taking the second tablet at lunch time, or is that too close together?

nicola1980
28-04-12, 14:24
What time do u take your last dose kate? X x

---------- Post added at 14:24 ---------- Previous post was at 14:24 ----------

Sending :hugs: lou x x

Catya
28-04-12, 14:35
I normally take them to twelve hours apart.... 10 am and 10pm. Xx

nicola1980
28-04-12, 14:51
Could you take it earlier? I take mine at 7.30 and 7.30 x x

Catya
28-04-12, 15:13
Yes, I've tried taking it at six in the evening, but nearly worse.... Also pushed it later till last thing before put light out... But even if I get asleep, I suddenly wake up with my mind racing! xx thanks for suggestions though.

nicola1980
28-04-12, 15:47
Don't really know what else to suggest lol x x

pinkdove
28-04-12, 17:28
hiya ven buddies, lou it's not surprising you are feeling down and anxious, what with your poor granded and your break up, even if it was your decision, it must be hard on you and your little one. re the tabs i went up from 75mg to 75mg in thye morning and 37.5 in the evening for a month before i went to 150, so maybe consider that, it might be a bit easier than straight to 150. hope you feel better soon, take care and keep us posted xx

kate, i think you should ask for the extended release, i told my pysc that the normal one's were making me feel sick, and you could also tell them about your poor sleep.

i say that because i have felt better on the extended release, and only 1 tab a day so more convenient and no need to worry about times, i take mine at 8.3o in the morning, also don't worry about it being anything else, they say your mood is the last to lift on ven, so it will happen, what about your throat, have you heard anything yet ?

pip happy weekend i know you like this weekends, and hope you enjoyed your wine, i find i can have the odd glass now with no adverse effects, really hope you are having a good one xx

much the same for me today, getting there :D and it's a good feeling, i would say 95% well, and i am doing everything i can to help the tabs, it is so nice to go out and enjoy it, or to sit and relax and enjoy it, so it will happen for you all, just takes time xxx

rockbottok
28-04-12, 22:18
Think I'll ring the drs and ask for 37.5 xls then. Do thy do thm??

Do any of u get muscle twitches on these? It's not constant but I've noticed it alot more recently.

Not been feeling well the last couple of days, think I've got a bug. My appetite is nearly non existent and the thought of eatting makes me want to be sick. (sorry) lol

Oh how I hate this feeling.

Lou xx

pinkdove
28-04-12, 22:32
hi lou sorry ou are feeling so bad, although not surprising, tes maybe ask for the xl, i have found them better, i would make an appointment and let them know what you have been through, don't suffer, really hope you feel better soon, take care xx

pinkdove
29-04-12, 10:52
morning guys, well it's a wet and drab sunday morning here today, but i still feel calm and relaxed....can't quite believe how laid back i am feeling, i don't think i have felt like this for many years.

yesterday went out to a local shopping centre, noticed a big crowd gathering, and me being nosey had to get to the front to see what was going on, something i could never have done only a few weeks ago, it was a group of people with exotic live animals, and i went over and stroked a snake, i was curious as to how they felt, hubby jusr could'nt believe it, amongst all the animals they had a skunk, now it looked all fluffy and nice, but resisted touching that.

i am trying to tell you all in my own inane way that things really do get better, the tabs are not a miricle cure, but they have given me the strength to cope and lead a normal life.

lou, how are you today, have you decided what to do about your meds /

kate are you still taking the 150mg, and how do you feel ?

pip hope you are having a good weekend despite this crap weather, i can see what you were trying to tell me a ouple of months ago is happening now, hope you are well xx

rockbottok
29-04-12, 11:11
Hiya

Feel a bit better today, im already on the xl but just wondered if they did 37.5 xl as but worried about taking 2 75xls. Seems a big jump, but I'll try speaking to the dr.

So do any of u get these muscle jolts? I get thm alot and never noticed it before the ven. X

Catya
29-04-12, 11:24
Yes Lou to the muscle jolts.... Can be quite severe. Think all antidepressants cause this though, particularly when starting out. I like to think its your body trying to calm down.
Well a rainy Sunday here too! xxx

rockbottok
29-04-12, 11:32
Thanks Kate. X

pinkdove
29-04-12, 11:51
no lou never had that, that i am aware of anyway, yea speak to your gp about your meds, so glad you are feeling a wee bit better now x

kate how are you doing ?

Catya
29-04-12, 13:41
..... on a reduced dose..... hmmmmmmm

pinkdove
29-04-12, 14:49
oh kate!!!! thought you were going to stick it out lol, anyway hope you start to see an improvement soon xx

Pipkin
29-04-12, 15:15
Hi all,

I'm not so bad - I've just been doing some pre-puppy prep, working out food and training things. I get him 2 weeks on Friday and I'm getting quite excited. Just need to start puppy-proofing the house now though he'll inevitably find something expensive to chew!

It is freezing cold, wet and windy here. I popped into town but couldn't hack it for more than 20 minutes. It's truly awful. I was looking for a birthday present for my dad but I ended up just buying myself a new pair of wellies and a cagoule (if that's how you spell it).

Pink - I'm so pleased you're starting to feel much better. The message I've always tried to give out is to have faith in the meds. They can take an age to work and it's very hard work but it's worth it. I've always found that it's important to stick to your dose and give it time to work. It's easier for me to say because I've taken ven before and I know it works for me. The psychological factor is so important.

Lou - I've had the muscle jolts too but they do go away. It's one of the stranger effects along with the dilated pupils, which also get better. They don't make 37.5mg XR tabs or caps. If you want to increase in stages, your GP will probably tell you to take 75mg XR and 37.5mg normal release for a week or so before increasing to 150mg XR. I've still got some 37.5mg normal release tabs which I'm saving for when I taper off.

Kate - you need to do what you think's best for you. I know you've had trouble sleeping and the evening tablet really won't help. The XR help this and I think it's time to get firm with your GP. Ask for the venlalic tabs that Pink's on as they're not much more expensive than the standard. The only problem is you'd have to be on either 75mg or 150mg a day - see what I wrote above to Lou.

Going to put my feet up and read for a while. I can't believe I've had to put my heating on and it's nearly May. It's grim up North!

Take care

Pip xxx

pinkdove
29-04-12, 19:29
pip heating on too, and losing the will to live watching the voice, god help me but hubby likes it lol

pinkdove
30-04-12, 09:42
morning all still doing ok here, just very slight morning stuff, but i can get past that at least it's not raining here today :D

kate hope you are doing ok hun xx

lou i hope you are feeling a biit better too xx

pip, weekend over, and the rain's stopped, typical, you are being kept bust getting ready for your wee pup, not ling now, such a nice time ahead for you, hope you are keeping well too xx

alfredo1
30-04-12, 11:12
Hi all,

I think I’ve hit a bit of a blip. Basically, as soon as I went on the ven I felt so much better. I felt calm, positive, clear head. Now bang, I’ve gone back to where I was. Feel very down and like I’m in a bit of a bubble.
Thought it might have all been too good to be true!

I’m on 75mg slow release. I will perhaps give another week and if I still feel like this, I’ll go to the doctors and as to up. What’s the normal dose for ven???

pinkdove
30-04-12, 11:38
hi alfredo, yes it can be a bumpy ride and takes time, i had quite a bit of up's and down's at first. now i take 150mg of ven and have done for 5 bweeks and i.m just beginning to settle down now.

although your dr may suggest 75mg in the morning and 37.5 in the evening and you might just settle on that.

you will see from the posts here that we are all on different doses, pip has settled on 75mg, kate felt the 150mg too high, so its just finding the dose to suit you.

don't get to dispondent the very fact that you have felt some positive benefits is a good sign, so it's just getting your dose right.

keep posting we are all here to help you and good luck xx

Pipkin
30-04-12, 13:11
Hi all,

I'm feeling fine today - typical that the weather's now lovely when I'm back to work. I've gone for a walk on my lunch. The sun is shining, it's warm and I've got lambs nibbling my shoe laces (literally!). If only everyday was like this!

Alfredo - you'll see from previous posts on here that it can take a long time to stabilise on ven. For me it took a good couple of months and a lot of patience. Give it time and it will settle down. Pink and I are both proof of that.

Take care

Pip xx

alfredo1
30-04-12, 13:29
As ever for your lovely support. I'll keep you posted for sure!
x

rockbottok
30-04-12, 16:07
Hi Alfredo. I'm feeling the same. :( I've had gastroenteritis and now feel like I have the flu. :( do u guys think this is maybe y my anxiety is up? Feeling a bit down aswell :(

Was feelIng so well a couple weeks back but boom. Struggling again. :(

Lou xx

nicola1980
30-04-12, 16:58
Hi guys im struggling aswel at the min but ive been ill with a kidney infection so dont know if thats why my anxiety has rocketed?? I take 75mg in the am and 37.5mg at pm, am seeing my physchatrist tomo so will see what she says x x

pinkdove
30-04-12, 17:21
some of us still struggling lou i always felt as if i had a cold coming on when first on ven, maybe you need an increase hun xx

alfredo hang on in there, you will get there xx

pip lambs nibbling your shoelaces awwwww, sounds bliss at least you got some benefit of the good day we've had xx

nicola, hope your appointment goes well for you tomorrow.

just had son and girlfriend round for a chinese, and been out visiting today, all and all another near normal day for me :D

Catya
01-05-12, 11:23
Hi guys im struggling aswel at the min but ive been ill with a kidney infection so dont know if thats why my anxiety has rocketed?? I take 75mg in the am and 37.5mg at pm, am seeing my physchatrist tomo so will see what she says x x

Let us know how you get on nicola and what is suggested? Maybe you could ask if there is a difference in effectiveness between the xl and twice a day ones? Good luck :winks:

pinkdove
01-05-12, 11:43
morning, hope you are feeling better today lou, you have been through some tough times recently, really hope you start to feel better soon xx

alfredo how are you feeling today ?

kate are you doing any better on the reduced dose ?

pip hope you are still well today xx

nicola good luck today xx

Catya
01-05-12, 13:10
Waving....:) well.....
I'm taking 75mg in the morning and 37.5 in the pm.... :doh:
Tried to get a dr's appointment for this week but can't see him till mid next week. Grrrr!
Love to all xxx

pinkdove
01-05-12, 15:46
hiya just an update , i have just been out shopping and to sainsbury's on my own :yesyes: now that might not seem such a big deal but it is for me, was out for around 3 hours, and strolled around the shops without rushing.

did feel a wee bit anxious, but it is my first time out alone, so i expected that, but i still enjoyed it, and felt like i was doing something normal xx

Pipkin
01-05-12, 16:26
Hi all,

Pink - what a great achievement. I really am so pleased that you're starting to do things you haven't been able to do for a while. Although I'm usually fine when I'm out, I know how stressful supermarkets can be and it's a huge step forward for you. Well done!!

I'm sitting in the doctor's waiting room waiting to go in for my review. This always makes me really anxious so I thought I'd distract myself with a quick visit on here and I'm pleased I did - you've cheered me up! I'll let you know how I get on.

Don't you just hate waiting for your name to be called out?

Hope everyone else is ok.

Take care

Pip xx

pinkdove
01-05-12, 16:38
good luck pip xx

Catya
01-05-12, 16:42
Yes, good luck to you too Pip xx

Pipkin
01-05-12, 17:50
Hi guys,

Thanks for your good luck messages. I'm back home again now with 2 more months' supply of the ven - I appear to have enough in the cupboard to sedate an elephant!

My GP was great as usual - to the point and direct but that's how I like it. I explained the things I was doing to try and help myself (CBT, exercise, dog! etc.) and said that I wanted to stay on the same dose for a while yet and that I would know when the time was right for me to stop. He seemed more than happy with that. In fact, he seemed really pleased that I had thought it through and wasn't relying on meds as a miracle cure (if only). He said he was more than happy to let me do it my way.

He also asked me what role my job had in my anxiety (none except it's a great distraction although it does get quite stressful at times - nothing I can't handle) and also told me that dogs were great for anxiety. He was also interested in which CBT programme I was doing. Overall, a very positive review and he doesn't need to see me for quite a while.

I had this awful feeling that he was going to try and get me to come off the meds which made me quite anxious in advance - I'm definitely not there yet. That's why I thought through quite carefully what I was going to say. I could do without the teeth clenching but, other than that, I'm quite happy with how I feel at the moment.

Sorry for the post all about me (you'd think a doctor's appointment was something unusual) but I'm so relieved that I wanted to share. And it's always interesting the different approaches our GPs take.

I hope you're all ok. For ven buddies who are going through a rough patch, stick with it. I promise you that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I didn't think I'd ever see it again but it's there shining bright.

Take care

Pip xxx

pinkdove
01-05-12, 18:09
aw pip what a great revue and your gp sounds so understanding, and i find mt wee dog great for anxiety, sh's always there for a cuddle day or night, and she seems to know when i need one lol.

so glad you feel better after the revue, keep on the way you;re going you're a shining example xx

Catya
01-05-12, 20:20
...dogs are wonderful!
Glad to hear your report back Pip. Sounds good!

LAURA48
01-05-12, 20:22
Well done Pink

You did very well - should be proud xxxxx:yesyes:

pinkdove
01-05-12, 21:18
thanks laura i could,nt have done that last week, but it was ok, a little anxious but i coped, you will get there too hun , just read what you wrote about an anxiety fund, a great idea, but it makes me so mad as we should all get the same treatment on the nhs.

personally i have been treated ok on the nhs, maybe just lucky, but i feel so sorry for those of you who have'nt, just adds to the anxiety, such a shame, take care laura and hope you feel better soon xx

pinkdove
02-05-12, 11:36
morning ven buddies, hope you are all ok today.

lou where are you hun, hope you are well xx

laura are you doing any better on the lower dose ?

pip, i know and hope you are ok, and will feel better after such a good revue yesterday, onwards and upwards for you xx

another good day for me, will go out again on my own today, the sooner i get my old life back the better, and i am so trying to get there, just little blips, nothing i can't handle when i push myself xx

Pipkin
02-05-12, 20:21
Hi all,

Hope you're ok. I'm working late and just taking a quick break to reply to a few posts on here.

It might be time for a refresher to remind us what doses we're on as I know I get a bit confused. For info, I'm 75mg XR a day and have been since January. This is my second stint on ven - my last one was 10 years or so ago for about nine months. The brand of my tablets seems to swap depending on which chemist I go to. Back to Alventa XL as of yesterday.

There have been a couple of posts from new users of ven recently and I have posted for them to join us. I got such good support on here and I reckoned that they might also need it over the next couple of week. Ben/Scratchy - if you read this, come and join us..

All well here. No lambs nibbling the laces today (I haven't had the time to go anywhere as it's been meetings all day) but lovely weather and I'm feeling very positive.

Pink - what's the plan for your next excursion? The world's your oyster...

Take care

Pip xxx

nicola1980
02-05-12, 20:30
Hi guys im really struggling here, i started ven nearly 8 wks ago at 37.5mg a day and ive gradually increased to 75mg in the am and 37.5mg at night, had a few good days but my anxiety is still really high sometimes unbearable :-( have i gave the ven a good enough shot and its simply not working or is it still early days? Im at the end of my tether this is my third AD so had high hopes :-( x x

Pipkin
02-05-12, 20:34
Nicola - I really feel for you. I know what it feels like and you're giving it a really good shot, that's obvious. It's a tricky one as it can take a while to kick in but 8 weeks is a long time. I'm sure you should be feeling better by now. Is there no improvement at all?

Pip xx

:bighug1:

joy
02-05-12, 20:35
I'm the same on my meds but you;ve got your nasty kidney infection bringing you down.
I'll seeing the shrink next tues, Could you ring your cpn for advice

Love Joy

nicola1980
02-05-12, 20:42
There was improvement but ive been v poorly with a kidney infection and ive gone downhill since x x

pinkdove
02-05-12, 21:05
my update i have been on ven now for 3 months started on 75mg, upped to 37.5 am and 75 pm and then to 75as and 75pm. last monday got 150xl one a day slow release.

although it's only been 10 days or so on the slow relase and just over 5 weeks on the 150mg i feel high benefits from this ad. like a different person.

nicola i think your kidney infection is bringing you down, so you won't really know how the ven is working, i would give it a bit longer, at least till your infection clears, better than starting a new ad on top of everything else.

joy :welcome: really hope you start to improve, can you not get a quicker appointment with your gp hun xx

to everyone else, keep at it, one day at a time, we will all get there with the support of each other.

pip, good idea to reflect on how far we've come, looking back on some of my old posts.......well don't even want to go there xxx

Pipkin
02-05-12, 22:07
Hi Joy and :welcome:

Nicola - I'd forgotten you've not been well. I think Pink and Joy are right - your infection will be bringing you down. Stick it out and have faith that you'll get there. We're all here to help you through it the best we can :hugs:

Take care

Pip xxx

joy
03-05-12, 08:25
Pink Seeing shrink next Tues if I can survive till them. The Gp tried 2 weeks ago to get me an earlier apt but was refused

Joy

Nicola really fallen off the trampoline this morning hope you are managing to stay on

nicola1980
03-05-12, 08:31
Ive fell off today aswel :-( x x

alfredo1
03-05-12, 09:21
Hi all, I just wanted to report in. I'm feeling really low, black cloud etc etc. I felt marvellous on the ven for the first week. I'm on 75mg. Then slippery slope over the past 2 weeks. They obviously work as I felt really good when I first went on them. Do you think its time for an increase????? Its not so much anxiety for me its depression. What do you all think?? Its week 3 now for me on these. Any advice welcomed. Kerrie xxx

rockbottok
03-05-12, 12:29
Hi guys

Well felling better now I'm not ill anymore. Had a wierd night last night tho, had loads of mind chatter and just couldn't switch off. It was as if I was listening in on loads of different convosations. Do any of u get this?? I get almost every night but it was bad last night. And then I was dropping off to sleep and my baby made a noise and startled me and then I thought I was hearing voice as I was woken in a panic I guess. By the way I've never herd voices in my life but it's a big fear of mine so I guess that's y I get anxiety over it. But all in all I feel better x

pinkdove
03-05-12, 12:47
aw lou that's great news, yes i used to get the mind chatter, just could'nt switch off, but it's away now,thank god.

just keep at it hun, you are doing so well, especially with all you have been through xx

---------- Post added at 12:47 ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 ----------

alfredo, yes i think you may need an icrease, because you did feel good on them, i would think you just need to up your dose,till you stabalise, it's awfull when you get a bit of relief from it and then it rears it head again.

go and see your gp, and they will pprobably increase your dose you you get the maximum benefit, really hope you feel better soon xx

joy, tues will come round sooner than you think, and you will hopefully get the help you need, you have been treated particularly bad hun, and it's time you had some real help.

i know you go to the charity shop later, which will hopefully be a distraction for you, one day at a time, and take care xx

alfredo1
03-05-12, 14:22
Yes going to make appointment today to see GP. Might insist her refers me to a psychiatrist just to be monitored as i just feel my doctor knows nothing about mental health.

Also, worried about the weight gain on the ven. I've already put on a few pounds and get so scared when i read these posts on internet about people ballooning 3 stone ....grrrrrr.

I know its a small price to pay for you mental health but i never relaly put that much weight on with the citalopram xx

pinkdove
03-05-12, 16:52
hi alfredo, glad you are seeing your gp, and asking for a refferal is the best way forward.

regarding the ven and weight issues, i put all mt weight on while taking citalopram 2 stone :ohmy: i really need to try and start losing it, but no more since satrting the ven, but we are all different.

let us know how you get on hun and good luck xxxx

alfredo1
03-05-12, 17:35
Thanks - and yes you're right. We are all different aren't we when it comes to the meds.

Defo keep you posted
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Scratchappy
03-05-12, 20:59
Hello everyone.

Hope all are doing as well as can be :)

I've just started out on this medication and..............Christ, the side-effects are like nothing I've experienced on an anti-depressant before. This seems like quite a powerful and potent drug.

Yesterday, I took 75mg of the standard venlafaxine (not XR) and it was quite an intense experience, to say the least. Not all bad, but not all good either. Some usual side effects when starting, so it appears - dilated pupils, increased anxiety, non-stop yawning marathons, slight nausea, wobbly legs, clenched jaw, feeling quite tired physically yet also quite wired too and some disturbed sleep. And a pleasant, warm electrical current around my brain. Mood also seemed to be elevated.

So today, as I was back at work, I decided to take half the dose of 37.5mg to ease myself into the medication and obviously, side effects were much easier to deal with. I also felt reasonably good today and fairly calm. I'm thinking that the extended release version may be a bit easier for the body to handle and a better option though?

What I'm quite concerned about is possible withdrawal when I aim to eventually come off this medication as it doesn't sound pleasant. I know I'm not even on this medication properly but am considering asking my GP to switch onto duloxetine instead, before I fully commit, as it's also an SNRI (newer) but has these benefits over venlafaxine, from what I can a gather (please feel free to correct):

- Acts faster (so less of the waiting game).
- Withdrawal is supposedly easier (as it has a longer half-life).
- Venlafaxine only acts as an SNRI at doses over 150mg whereas duloxetine acts as an SNRI at all doses (and I've been on quite a few SSRI's with little success in treating anxiety. Well, none at all).

I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts/opinions/advice on these issues or anything I've mentioned really. And also, what made you choose venafaxine over duloxetine (if you had one). I know for Pip that she's had success with this medication previously so that makes sense.

Any feedback would be much appreciated and no worries if not :)

Thanks in advance..............Scratch

pinkdove
03-05-12, 21:12
hi scratchappy and :welcome: to our ven buddy thread,

first of all i think you have done the right thing reducing your dose to ease you onto the ven slowly,i have been on ven for 3 months now and it has been a long slow road, but i am finally feeling much better, i take 150mg xl daily.

i did not get start up effects as i was on citalopram for 18 months and did a straight swap, just got some withdrawal effects from the cit.

re extended release i take this now, but could not get it till my dose was stabalised, but i find it a much better ad than the ssri group.

getting off it pip can advise you on that better, he has done it before, i don't think about that yet, i just want to get back to normal.

duloxetine, don't know anything about it, so can't comment on that...sorry

however i would give the ven more time, on the lower dose, i know we are all different, but i have found it a godsend for me, but it does take time and patience.

i'm sure pip will log in and help you further, he has been a great suppport to me amd many others and is more clued up on it than i am.

in the meantime, take it easy, and keep us posted how you are doing xx

Pipkin
03-05-12, 22:18
Hi everyone,

I hope you're all doing ok. Fine here though a horrendously busy day at work - really looking forward to this weekend and an extra day off.

Hi Scratch and welcome to this thread. I'm sure you won't mind if I'm completely honest with you - feel free to disagree but I always like to be straight in any advice I give and I only ever relate things to my experience.

I suspect that you're letting your anxiety make you become too concerned with the detail of your meds. You always have to give things plenty of time to work and remember that people always tend to post their negative experiences so you often see bad news about ven and other ADs so don't immediately assume that everything will apply to you. A few specifics:

As Pink said, focus on getting better and give ven a chance. It's very early days and it can take a good few weeks to take full effect. Deal with the withdrawal when you come to it. All ADs can cause withdrawal symptoms and ven's short half-life can make it worse - that's true. This just means you have to taper off more slowly. I've done this twice and, although not the most pleasant experience in the world, if I can cope with it, anyone can. It certainly didn't put me off starting again. The positives by far outweigh the negatives. Again, my experience and not everyone will be the same.

The vast majority of us ended up on ven because our GPs recommended it. I'm not saying they're always right but it's up to them to prescribe not generally up to us to ask for specific meds. Having said that, I requested ven again this time as I know it works superbly for me but if it wasn't for a very sympathetic GP 10 years ago, I would never have found it. It's not the cheapest med and I like to think that I was prescribed it due to effectiveness not cost.

Regarding duloxetine, I really can't comment as I've never taken it. It might work better or worse for you and you might get more or fewer side effects. No-one can tell you this and if they try, they're making assumptions. The only way you'd know is by trying and, as you haven't yet fully discovered if ven's the one for you, you'd be jumping the gun to swap.

As I've said before, ven has been a life saver for me. If you could have seen what I was like in January, you'd be amazed at how different I am now. Even my GP (a direct man of few words) commented how well I'm doing. Not that it's all down to the meds. They help but a lot of strength and determination is also needed and a firm plan to get back on track including, for me, CBT, a change of lifestyle and the support I get on here. It's an amazing place and the friends you make here are not to be underestimated. I guess you'll already be seeing that.

I hope that gives you a little guidance. I'm not saying what's right for me will also be right for you but sometimes, other people's experiences can help shine a light on a very confusing situation.

Take care all

Pip xxx

P.S. Scratch - starting on 37.5 mg is a good idea. I did this and increased after a week.

P.P.S. A common mistake on here, but I'm definitely male, or at least I was the last time I checked!

Scratchappy
04-05-12, 09:27
Hey Pip and Pinkdove :)

Many thanks for the replies and comments. I do appreciate the support and information you’re sharing. Really very helpful and useful.

Firstly, my sincerest apologies to Pip – I guess the ‘Pip-Boy’ avatar should have given me a clue that you are, in fact, male :) My mind hasn’t been working that well lately..... Please, take it as a compliment that you write with compassion and understanding and that I assumed Pip was short for Pippa! Never assume eh.....

You are right Pip in that I am probably getting overly concerned with the nature of the medications. I have done too much research and although I’m trying to give a balanced view in my head, I can’t help but think about the negatives (is in my nature which I’m trying to change through CBT). I guess the thing that concerned me most was the immediate potency of this drug – it kinda blew me away a bit, even though I knew more or less what to expect.

And it’s true – you will always find more negative stories than positive ones regarding medications. If it’s working, you’re more than probably getting on with life than coming to a forum to say “Yes, it’s all great”. Some people will, for sure, but I suspect it’s the exception rather than rule. I know that if, say, I buy something from Amazon and I’m happy with it, I probably won’t write a review. If I’m unhappy, then maybe I would.

I guess I know I’m making an important decision to make an AD part of my life and I’m wanting it to be the right one. Even though that’s impossible to tell with these med.’s unless you actually give them a chance to work and see. If one type doesn’t seem to the job, then move onto the next I guess. Trial and error, what works for one may not for another etc etc and all that jazz.

And I know I shouldn’t be concerned with withdrawal at this stage and it does seem a little ridiculous. I just wanted to get a feel for what I was letting myself in for potentially – though, I’ll never know until I actually try. We all know that medications affect us differently so it’s just impossible to predict something that you won’t know the outcome of until it happens. I guess, in my mind, I was trying to make things as easy as they could be. Over planning perhaps. I should just get on with it and let it happen like you say Pip.

With regards to my GP and the prescribing of ven – well, I was a little taken aback about how little effort went in to prescribing this medication. I think I know the main reason as to why – in a report from a social worker (to obtain CBT) a reference was made by a psychiatrist inferring ven. could be added as part of my regimen. I had asked what other med.’s were available but this psychiatrist hadn’t even assessed me in person. I guess I just wanted to hear why they would go with one SNRI and not the other. The cynic in me thinks it may be down to cost on the NHS as I believe duloxetine is more expensive. However, it could just be that this doctor prefers to use ven . from previous experience, has better success with one over another etc etc. Or something else completely. Who knows?!

But, I think I will stick with the ven. and give it a couple of months or so and see how it goes. Seeing as I’ve started it, I might as well carry on eh. And it does seem to be working a bit, even though it’s very early days.

It is really positive to hear that both of you are doing/have done well on this medication as it does reassure me somewhat. And obviously great for you that it works :) Thanks for being straight and upfront guys, it has helped me to rest my mind a bit.

And I too was on the thinking of giving it one week on 37.5mg and then upping to 75mg so it’s good to hear others have gone this way. And then onto XR like you Pink.

Can I ask how you guys get on with sleeping on this medication? I’m only getting about 4-5 hrs but weirdly, I don’t actually feel that tired. I feel more alert mentally than usual with even more energy which must be down to the chemical reactions in my body from the medication. If it’s increasing anxiety (and adrenalin?), is it increasing senses as well? Hence my dilated pupils, as if in an anxious state and all wide-eyed? I’d love to know exactly how this medication works but my head is finding it difficult to understand complex information. Or even simple information, come to that. Google might help I s’pose....

Do you also feel you have more clarity in your mind on this medication? As in it’s easier to think in more clear and concise manner?

Sorry for all the questions and the immense wall of text. I can never keep it short and simple....

Speak soon and can’t thank you enough for your support and help. Hope you’re all having a good day. It’s Friday J YEAH. And bank holiday w/e an’ all :)

Cheers.....................Scratch

pinkdove
04-05-12, 10:55
hin scratch and what a great post, i thought you would benefit from pip's experience i know i did.

re sleep i have'nt had any problems with that, but as i say i went on it straight from citalopram so had little or no side effects, i did have that when i started cit, but as the meds got into my system i slept like a log.

yes my mind is much clearer now and i don't feel so medicated on the ven, in face most of my day i can forget the way i feel, just the odd times when the beast creeps back in, but i am learning to distract from that and not let it get a hold.

i know it is hard, but please give it a chance the side effects should be short lived, and then the benefits should begin.

keep us posted and good luckxx

pip another weekend for you a long one at that....any plans ? you will be looking forward to it after such a busy time at work, great words of encouragement for scratch as usuall, have a good bank holiday xx

kate how are you doing hun ?

lou hope you are still improving

nicola where are you, are you ok xx

alfredo hope you are having a better dsy,

going out today with hubby, dull but dry, and looking forward to hitting the shops xx

rockbottok
04-05-12, 11:32
Hi guys.

Fell ok but not like I was before all this happened. Cos I was so ill with d and v do u think I wasn't absorbing the extended release enough in time before it came out one way or another? Sorry to be graphic.

Lou xx

alfredo1
04-05-12, 12:55
Hi all,
Im having a better day yes.

Alot of my depression and anxiety lately has been linked to work and how I have felt worthless etc and i've totally blow a lot of things out of proportion.

I work for some tough guys as a PA and I just didn't things were going very well. On Wednesday i was given an amazing bonus and my boss said everyone is thrilled with me and that i'm doing a great job. For the past 3 months, i've been doing my head in, giving myself a really hard time. Now, this is where I should have put my CBT in practice and back in January, i should have confronted my boss for feedback on my performance (as we don't get appraisals here).

Anyway, to cut a long story short, because of this, i'm feeling a lot more positive about me, about how others see me etc.

I'm feeling OK on the ven. Im on 75mg so low dose. First week i felt amazing then slowly took a nosedive. I also work in an office with very little natural light and i think being here 10 hours a days don't help!! Anyway, I am really hoping the weather will cheer up as i know this has an effect on my mood.

All in all, much better on the ven than the sertraline (made me suicidal). Going to perhaps give it a week and up the dose but slowly getting my mojo back! Hopefully going to start doing exercise, which i've not done for over 6 months.

I have had no side effects whatsoever, apart from restless sleep (I went straight over from the sertraline)

I have a friend who has just gone on citalopram, and i know she's found it harsh. She's lost a lot of weight on it. We're going for lunch tomorrow - so i'm sure we'll support each other and chew the fat about our meds..........!

All in all, i'm feeling a little positive about life, feeling a little improvement and slowly starting to look forward to things!

I hope you are all doing well.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

pinkdove
04-05-12, 16:36
hi lou, yes i suppose it's possible you have lost your dose particularly if you have been sick shortly after taking it, but i'm no expert, you seem to be getting a bit better tho' which is really good, with all you've been through, maybe see how things go over the weekend hun xx

alfredo fantastic post, yep nothing like a great bonus to perk us up :D and we all need to feel valued, so glad you are feeling a bit better, keep us posted xx

rockbottok
04-05-12, 17:10
Well let's just say as soon as something went in my mouth 10 mins later gravity took its toll. :( so in hoping I wasn't getting my full 75mgs. Maybe pip will know???

Lou x

pinkdove
04-05-12, 17:48
yes lou pip will know, bt 10 mins is not long, not long enough to disperse . wait and see what pip thinks xx

Pipkin
04-05-12, 18:18
Hi everyone,

A long weekend off! What a treat. I've decided it's a takeaway and a glass of wine (or two) tonight and a catch up on some TV I've recorded. Please don't anyone tell me who was fired on the Apprentice!

Scratch - a great post and don't worry about assuming I was Pippa! I'll take it as a complement as I must be in touch with my feminine side. I could never cope with childbirth though! I'm sure you're doing the right thing to give it some time. Disappointing about your GP not seeming to give your meds much thought but the NICE guidance sort of points to ven if the first or second SSRI doesn't work so he's probably just following this. You're right about it being cheaper than duloxetine as this isn't out of patent yet so there's no generic available. Ven's still a fair bit more expensive than the average though, especially the XR which a few of us are on. Keep posting and let us know how you're doing.

Lou - it's not my area but I guess it depends what happened after you took it. If you've had constant diarrhoea, it's unlikely to be absorbed as your food doesn't get digested. The same if you vomited within a few hours of taking it. If you've just had diarrhoea once, it should be ok. The point of d and v is for your body to get rid of things quickly with little absorption - that's why the contraceptive pill can be ineffective. It would be particularly true of XR meds. I hope you're starting to feel a bit better.

Pink - hope you had a good day at the shops. Were you out and about in Leeds? I need a trip there soon as Harvey Nichols is calling me though I should be saving a bit of money for my soon-to-arrive puppy. Maybe a Marc Jacobs dog collar? Or maybe not...

It seems that most of us are starting to feel a bit better. Stick with it everyone and maybe one day we'll be organising a ven buddies pub outing. I'll buy the first round and some scampi-flavoured niknaks!

Take care

Pip xxx

pinkdove
04-05-12, 19:01
hi pip yes out and around leeds today, a marc jacobs dog collar mmm, what breed is it pip, and is it next week he/she arrives, so exciting for you.

really enjoying my days out now had a opub lunch too, right a ven buddies meeting when we are all well, great and a nice galss of dry white with scampi flavoured nic naks can;t wait.

have a great weekend xxx

rockbottok
04-05-12, 21:18
Thanks pip. Yes it was constant diarrhoea for 2-3 days. So I'm hoping it's just that they hadn't absorbed properly. I'm gettin lots of guilt feelings at the mo. :(

Glad everyone else is feeling good xx

---------- Post added at 21:18 ---------- Previous post was at 21:15 ----------

Is anyone on fb?? My email is xlouise_huddx@hotmail.com x

pinkdove
04-05-12, 21:21
lou on fb send me your link..and i'll send a friends request xx

Pipkin
04-05-12, 22:15
Lou - I'd be pretty sure that you've not been absorbing the tablets properly for a couple of days so I'm not surprised that you're feeling worse and having irrational thoughts. Give it a few days and you should be back on form.

Take care

Pip xxx

rockbottok
04-05-12, 22:28
Thanks pip. Pink dove not sure what the link is?? Would it be Louise.hudd@facebook.com of /Louise.hudd that's all I can find on my page. X

rockbottok
04-05-12, 22:51
Think it's sent.? Is it a pic of holding dogs?? X

pinkdove
04-05-12, 22:52
ye s it is lou i will look for it xx

rockbottok
04-05-12, 23:04
Sorry about the profile pic. Haha. That was years ago. I want to feel how I did back thn :( xx

pinkdove
05-05-12, 11:38
friends on facebook lou, nothing wrong with the proile pc, and you will soon feel like that again xx

pinkdove
05-05-12, 17:36
lou so sorry you are in hospital, sending you huge :bighug1:

hope everyone else is ok this weekend xx

nicola1980
05-05-12, 17:57
hi guys well im still struggling, not sure what i should do :weep: xx

---------- Post added at 17:57 ---------- Previous post was at 17:57 ----------

lou ive sent you a friend request on fb xx

pinkdove
05-05-12, 18:46
hi nicola lou is in hospital with a kidney infection...can't believe it she was oklast night, poor thing she's had a lot to cope with this past few weeks.

are you getting any benefit fron the ven? is your infection clearing at all i hope so hun xx

i am still doing ok, it tries to rear it's ugly head but i try to ignore it and it passes quick xx

nicola1980
05-05-12, 18:53
Oh bless her thats what ive had for the past 3 weeks, its nasty. I was getting there but this kidney infection has really knocked me off my feet, im emotionally and physically exhausted, ive hardly ate in 3 weeks so im bound to feel shit i guess xx

Catya
05-05-12, 23:00
Oh dear. Well hugs to you all. Xxx

Pipkin
05-05-12, 23:36
:bighug1: to Lou

xxxxx

pinkdove
06-05-12, 11:48
morning ven buddies, sun shining but cold here this sunday morning, at least no rain.

had a busy morning cleaning, ironing wwashing and walking rosie, so having a bit of chill time now.

still feeling ok, able to do most things now, still a wee bit of anxiety, but mood lifted feel more like me than i have in years.

lou hope you are ok hun, and get better soon xx

kate ahow are you doing ?

alfredo are you coping better now ?

pip not long till you get your wee pup now, how exciting, got everything ready ?

nicola are you still hanging on in there hun? hope you are feeling a bit better too xx

---------- Post added at 11:48 ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 ----------

scratch how are you? are you doing any better... i hope so xx

Pipkin
06-05-12, 13:33
Hi everyone,

Cold here too but I'm still sitting out in the garden for a bit. There are a whole load of starlings trying to intimidate me into giving them some more food but I'm standing firm - they only get fed once a day!

Everything is fine here. I'm doing some work on my on-line CBT which tends to send my brain into a bit of a spin and it's really quite hard work but I guess that's a good thing. It all seems very logical when you think about it calmly - I just wish it were that easy when I'm in the middle of an anxiety attack. My trouble is that everything I've learnt seems to go out of the window. Has anyone else had CBT? It would be really interesting to hear your experiences as I'm quite new to it. I've done relaxation therapy before but not CBT.

Pink - puppy arrives a week on Friday and I think I've got most things ready. The calm before the storm! I know he'll be a great distraction though and I'm looking forward to the training. I know it will be hard work but I'm never one to shy away from a challenge!

Nicola - how are you. It seems that you're still not feeling any better. Give us an update and I'll see if I can think of anything to help.

Lou - I hope you're feeling better. Are you home yet?

I hope everyone else is doing ok. Try to make the most of the long weekend.

Take care

Pip xxx

Scratchappy
07-05-12, 09:50
Hey everybody :)

Kidney infection - that doesn't sound pleasant at all. Am sorry to hear that Lou. You'll get better soon though so just keep that in mind and try to think of some things to do once you get back on your feet. Feel for you. Probably have enough to deel with let alone something like that. Can't be helping but try and stay positive. Easier said than done I know....

Nicola - you too have had a kidney infection? Jesus. Well hopefully you're over the worst of that. You say you're not feeling too good? Is your anxiety high? Do you feel the ven is working? Maybe that's a stoopid question?! Things will turn around I'm sure :) Just keep going.

Pink - always good to keep busy; stops me from thinking too much and even housework is a welcome distraction. Makes me feel like I've achieved something. And I count any tasks I've done as positives and remind myself frequently to try and reinforce them in my mind. Especially if I'm having negative feelings. I try to counteract one against the other as it were. Really good to hear your anxiety is lifting :) And it must be quite a feeling as you say it's the best you've felt in years so that's great :)

Pip - glad everything is good with you. Brilliant that you're working hard on the CBT. I've done it before and am about to start it again with my 1st session Tuesday. It's not easy but I found it really helped me some years ago. Just wished I'd kept it up....
I completely get where you're coming from in that it's not easy to apply it when anxiety kicks in. For that moment, the anxiety can be all consuming. It takes a lot of practice to try and change your automatic thinking. You're basically trying to re-program your brain and thought processes which will take time. I think for me, it may be something I have to do for a considerable duration. Possibly forever! But ultimately, it will lead to a healthier way of thinking.
As Shakespeare said - ".There is nothing good or bad, but thinking makes it so". Or Descartes "I think, therefore I am". Simple, but true in my eyes. Even my dilated ones ;)
I have become much better at challenging my negative thinking or 'warped thinking'. Practice, practice, practice. I'll be stepping it up this week.

My weekend is going well. Even though I got defeated at badminton by my girlfriend for the first time. Grrrrrrrr. I am a terrible loser! But there's a rematch about to take place and I'm changing my tactics as she's changed hers. So we'll see.....
Done some decorating which is cool as that's the lounge almost done now. And a bit of yoga as well which helps to relax me along with just taking it easy and doing the house work. Bit of shopping today perhaps which was something I had real trouble with just 2 years ago. Could hardly go into a shop without having a panic attack. I have come a long way when i think about it.
Right, best get ready for badminton......if I lose again, well, it's only a game. YEAH RIGHT!

Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend guys :)

Cheers..........................Scratch

rockbottok
07-05-12, 11:06
Hi guys. I'm home. Feeling ok. Bit of pain this morning. :( its just one thing after another. Sort of feel ok but I defo need a increase. But got so many things going on at the no I'd rather do it when it's quieter.

Lou x

nicola1980
07-05-12, 11:43
Pleased your home, kidney infections are nasty im just recovering from one :hugs: did they give you intravenous antibiotics? X x

rockbottok
07-05-12, 12:11
No I have crap veins so they couldn't find one. Also I had fake tab on so that made it wen more difficult. Think I wrote to u on fb Nicola. How u feeling?? I've got anti bioticd for a week tho x

pinkdove
07-05-12, 17:02
hi guys, lou so glad you are home hun, and when things settle a bit for you, you can think about an increase, one thing at a time, and try to get some well earned rest xx

scratch, good luck with the badmington, and you are doing so well, decprating etc, keeping your mind active, that's the key, hope you continue to improve xx

pip hope you are well and enjoying the holiday weekend, you are doing great too with the cbt.

now i went for a couple of sessions last year, but i was'nt in a good place at the time and found it impossible to concentrate on it, so gave it up, but i know a lot of people find it really helpfull, good luck with it xx

alfredo let us know how you are doing hun xx

nicola hope you are having a better day today xx

just come back home, had lunch out today and hit the shops, felt really quite good, had an annoying headache, think it's the wine at lunchtime :blush: so self inflicted, all in all not a bad day again xx

rockbottok
07-05-12, 17:15
Well done pink. And thanks for caring. How long until u felt the benefits from ur increase? And did u have many side effects whilst increasing? X

pinkdove
07-05-12, 18:50
no side effects increasing, been on 150mg 6 weeks now and 2 on the xl extended relaese, been feeling better now for over a week.

i must admit tho i felt better when i got the xl than on the ordinary tabs, but who knows i might have felt better anyway.

i think they have done all they can now, and it's up to me to do the rest, so i will, keeping busy, and listening to my relaxation cd helps, don't worry about increasing lou, i felt ok, no real problems xx

Catya
07-05-12, 18:56
Just saying hi to you all. xxx

pinkdove
07-05-12, 19:14
hi kate, really hope you are doing well xx

Pipkin
07-05-12, 20:02
Hi guys,

Lou - welcome back. I'm pleased you're feeling a bit better. It'll take a while to get over but at least you're on the road to discovery. You've had a tough time lately.

Pink - you must be feeling better to be out and about, drinking wine at lunchtime. Very nice! It always knocks me out so I try to avoid it but it's so nice and relaxing, isn't it?

Kate - how you doing? Are you sticking with your current dose?

Nicola - Hope you're ok too.

Alfredo - what are you upto? It's been a while.

Scratch - sounds like you're doing ok. Thanks for the input. I'm glad it's not just me that finds it hard to put theory into practice. Keep at the badminton - you can't be beaten by a girl! (purposely provocative as we're clearly outnumbered here and I don't really mean it!). Actually, it's good to have another chap here as I think my feminine side was in danger of taking over.

Good day for me. Been out and about - just getting ready for work tomorrow. Why do the weekends pass do quickly?

Take care

Pip xx

Catya
07-05-12, 22:09
Lol pipkin.... Your list gets longer and longer.
Yes, not a bad weekend thanks and have actually dropped to the lower dose of 75mg. I found my appetite had increased tremendously, also the urge to drink more.... I found this happened with seroxat so I'm very cautious this time. Been on some long walks with my hubby plus little doggy boy!
Love to you all.... Am following your progress.
Pinkdove? Think I sent you a message on Facebook ?

pinkdove
08-05-12, 13:17
morning all, not a bad morning, just the anxiety letting me know it's not far away, will ignore it, and take my wee mum out this afternoon.

late think i got a friends request hope it's you have acceptes, hope you are doing better on the lower dose xx

lou how are u hun?

pip, hope you are still ok, not long till puppy day, and you're righr should'nt drink at lunchtime :blush:

scratch, well done you seem to be getting there xx

alfredo how are you hun, please let us know xx

nicola good you have an appointment tomorrow, good luck with that hun xx

alfredo1
08-05-12, 13:41
hi there!

Just reporting in.

I had a little more motivation this weekend than in a very long time. Got more stuff done etc.

I definitely feel better on the ven (rather than the sertraline) but still not back to myself yet. I just feel rather grey all the time - feeling of loneliness. A little like I'm in a bubble, but much better that i felt on the sertraline.

I'm going to go back to the docs next wednesday to talk about increasing a further 37.5mg on top and see if that makes any difference.

Defo seen an improvement but no way near 'me' again!

I hope eveyrone is doing OK?
Kel

pinkdove
08-05-12, 16:39
hi kel. an improvement is a good sign, and i know what you mean about being in a bubble, but that will pass.

yea you may just need a wee increase, that might just do the trick for you, i hope so, keep us posted, i'm sure you will get there xx

Pipkin
08-05-12, 18:31
Hi all,

Just checking in after a busy day at work. I had anxiety overdrive this morning and was all shaky and my heart was racing. Soon calmed down though and now it's back to normal. I don't know why the mornings are the worst but they always are. As ever, there's no logic to it all.

Take care

Pip xxx

pinkdove
08-05-12, 20:46
hi pip just reading another thread on withdrawing fron ven, and you talk about 5htp, sorry for my ignorance but what is it ? and what does it do, just curious as it seems to help with withdrawals,

well done for getting over your anxiety this morning, although we are much better now, i feel the beast is never far away, but distraction really helps,

been out again todaym no alcohol tho, but enjoyed it and drove through the town on my own for the first time, another hurdle overcome
take care xx

Pipkin
08-05-12, 20:57
Hi Pink,

I'd never heard of it until I read the post you're talking about. I did a bit of research and it's an amino acid you can take as a health supplement which increases seratonin levels. You can't take it while on ADs as there's a serious risk of seratonin syndrome but it was discussed here as a way to make withdrawing from ven easier.

I can't vouch for it but the poster said it helped her. I would definitely say to all here not to dwell on withdrawal at the moment but concentrate on getting better. The withdrawal can be difficult but I've done it twice (I've only been on ven once before but had a month's break in the middle) and it didn't stop me taking it again as I know it's doable and the benefits by far outweigh the withdrawal. The withdrawal effects are no worse than the anxiety you've already dealt with and last a couple of weeks so you will be able to do it.

I may well be first to stop on here so you'll see how I get on - not for a few months yet though.

Pip xx

pinkdove
08-05-12, 21:15
thanks pip was just curious, not even thinking of coming off, and make sure you're in the right place before you contemplate it xx

Catya
08-05-12, 21:39
I've tried 5htp in the past and it really didn't do anything for me. X

Pipkin
08-05-12, 22:24
Pink - no, I won't be coming off it for a while. Last time I made the mistake of stopping too soon and had to start it again a month later. It's just that I don't like relying on meds and am always determined to go it alone - a little too determined sometimes. I've decided that slow and steady wins the race this time.

Pip x

Catya
09-05-12, 10:06
Well now..... PROGRESS !
Have just returned from the dr's with... Yep, Venlaneo XL 150mg dose. Hmmmm. Glad I wasn't mugged on my way home!

I was made to feel terrible asking again for these. He went through all the costs again with me and I mumbled that I knew there were cheaper ones than the £30 ones he was saying. Anyway he wouldn't have that and he's let me try these for a month. I think he took one look at my quiet face this morning. I've also got another patch on my tongue this time... So he's treating it as thrush or if not I'll have to have some removed when I have my other op ( which Im still waiting for)

Now, decisions decisions . I've already taken 37.5 of normal release this am, dare I take this capsule now? When do most of you take the xl ones? Thanks for listening... Feel like crying. xx

pinkdove
09-05-12, 14:11
hi kate, i think you will find a difference on the xl, i did, mine are venalic xl 150mg, and i take it around 9am, so if you have taken a dose already this morning i would leave it till tomorrow to start the xl.

you.ve got them now so don't worry about the cost, we are just as entitled as anyone else to get the best of treatment, we have suffered long enough.

sorry you are feeling a bit dowm today, all this waiting on your op can't be helping either, i really hope you get on well with the xl, not such a surge as the normal, and a smoother day i would say, and i got no side effects at all changing. good luck kate, and hope you feel better soon xxx

pip. no don't be in a hurry i made that mistake myself coming of cit too soon and had a really bad relapse, which i am still getting over, i think when the time comes for me i would like to stay on a 37.5 maintenance dose, just to keep things at bay, but that's a long way off yet, hope you are feeling ok xx

lou hope your kidney pain is easing a bit now hun xx

scratch, how are you doing ? hopefully getting there xx

alfredo, hope you are ok too xx

just got back from the garden centre, with 2 nice azelia's raining when i got back, but still planted them out, now time for a nice cuppa and a rest xxxx

nicola1980
09-05-12, 14:33
Hi guys well ive just got back from the physchatrist and she has increased my ven to 150mg and given me the slow release ones, same ones as you i think pinkdove xx

pinkdove
09-05-12, 15:21
hi nicola that's good news i have never looked back and had no side effects whatsoever when i changed.

i am almost back to normal now, keeping myself busy, and trying to ignore any underlying anxiety, but can do most things now, haven't had a diazapam in 4 weeks.

really hope they do the trick for you, and glad your appointment went well.

see my pysc on 25th june, as he wants to give it that time to see how i settle on them, unless i have any problems....which i don't anticipate, i hope xx

Catya
09-05-12, 17:18
Hi guys well ive just got back from the physchatrist and she has increased my ven to 150mg and given me the slow release ones, same ones as you i think pinkdove xx

Ooh yes, and me now too! Shall take my first one in the morning. :yahoo:

alfredo1
09-05-12, 17:29
Hi guys,
Having the best day I've had in ages!!!!
The black cloud seems to have lifted somewhat.
I'm really hoping that it will last!
I've been looking online and decided I'm going to get 2 kittens! They say pets are good stress busters!!
I've also had a house mate move in with me about a month ago, so that's also company for me, plus i got an amazing bonus at work last week. I'm enjoying work much more as I guess I'm feeling happier in myself.
I'm starting to look forward to things and generally feel like gradually, hopefully, the old me is creaping back.....not 100% by any means but defo on the up!!

Oh, i hope it continues, i really do!

Also, i've had no side effects whatsoever on the ven. Little restless sleep but nothing major.

I do hope you are all doing well. At the moment, i can highly recommend them. So weird that the sertraline made me feel worst - suicidal in fact. Thank the lord i came off them when i did.

Happy hump day!

Kel x

pinkdove
09-05-12, 17:33
hey kel that is great news, and yes pets are great for stress, i have a wee yokie rosie, love her to bits, and pip is waiting on his new pup. nicola has a cat, not sure about the rest of us, so you're in good company, and your housemate will help too.

i feel the same as you so glad a swapped to ven much better now, and like you still a wee bit to go, but i can handle it, and feel much more like myself now.

all in all we are getting there xxx

rockbottok
09-05-12, 18:31
Kate weren't u only on 75mg so how come ur on 150xl ?

Kidneys still playing me up. Ended up back in hospital a couple nights go in so much pain. But feeling ok. Had the funeral today do its all now behind me, my daughters 1st birthday on sat, mine on Sunday and my sons 4th birthday party on Sunday as well although his real birthday is the following Sunday so a busy weekend for me and then I'm gone double my dose to 150. Scary.

Oh and by the way I have 10 dogs, all chihuahuas tho so not to bad. I breed them.

Hope ur all well.

Lou x

Catya
09-05-12, 18:41
hey kel that is great news, and yes pets are great for stress, i have a wee yokie rosie, love her to bits, and pip is waiting on his new pup. nicola has a cat, not sure about the rest us.....x
yes.... I have two cats and my little miniature long haired dachshund, who is a real character. Lol xx

Pipkin
09-05-12, 18:44
Hi guys,

Could this be a eureka moment when we're all on the mend? I really hope so.

Kate - your GP sounds like a real tyrant. He seems to think he can reduce the national dent single-handedly! Good news though, I'm sure you'll notice a difference, especially with the sleeping problems you've had. You're on the same capsules as me (great colour with the little beads inside!). Yours are 150 though and mine are 75. If they're better for you, make sure you lay it on thick with your GP at the next review so he puts them on repeat for you.

Lou - 10 dogs. How do you cope with so many? I'm worrying about getting one!

Pink - not a bad idea to stay on a low dose. I'll see how I get on.

Alfredo - as Pink said, I'm getting a dog next week and I know it will be great. I love cats too and would have one if they didn't aggregate my asthma. Getting 2 together's a great idea - they're less likely to wreak kitten havoc if they've got each other to play with! Btw, sertraline nearly finished me off too. I'm not one to exaggerate but I've never experienced anything so horrendous as when I took it. I really thought I was en route to being sectioned. Even my GP looked worried when he saw me (and he's a very cool customer). It took a good week to recover.

Nicola - hopefully you'll find the XR better for you too. Let us know how you get on.

Scratch - you ok? Did you win at badminton?

Take care

Pip x

Catya
09-05-12, 18:44
Well Lou, I was taking two 75 mgs a day, but it was the evening one causing the problem so I dropped it to the lower dose. The dr always felt I should be on 150 but I struggled with the normal release.. Will see how I get on with these new ones. X

Pipkin
09-05-12, 19:00
Kate - I forgot to say, I take mine in the morning after breakfast.

Pip x

Scratchappy
09-05-12, 20:21
Hey everyone :)

Just thought I'd say hello and give a quick update. Am feeling pretty alright really and am still on 37.5mg. Was thinking about increasing the dose to the initial prescribed 75mg but as I feel decent enough I might just stay on it for at least a week longer. See how it goes I guess.

My anxiety levels definitely seem to be down a fair bit and I have a bit more energy and my mood is generally pretty uplifted. The ven seems to have taken the edge of things, thank God. I'm not exactly brilliant but am much better than I was, that's for sure.

I've not even taken my Lyrica today and feel fine. So glad I went on to ven. Seems to be doing the trick so far. Christ, thinking back this time last week I'd only just started out on it. Remember getting all those rushes and incredible yawning. All side effects have settled down completely now. Which is nice.

I'm pretty hopeful that with my anxiety levels fairly low I'll be able to reduce from the valium a bit faster. Been about 12 years on that stuff so really looking forward to coming off it. Still take 3.5mg a day (used to be on 20mg) but hope to reduce by 0.5mg every month or so now.....

Pip - no, I did not win the first match of badminton. I bloody lost 4-0!! I was OUTRAGED I tell you, outraged! I've never lost to my gf, ever. I was such a bad loser that I demanded a re-match on Monday. I then went 2-0 down only to summon incredible strengths to win the next 4 games in a row and am now the undeafted champion, once again ;) I put my incredible fight back down to the wonders of ven. No, it was more a case of my gf making unforced errors really. But all enjoyable and parity has now been restored ;)

Well, it does sound like most people are doing well so that's really good to hear :) For those that are struggling I really hope it turns around soon for you.

Just for the record, I have no pets. I adore cats though but as I live in a flat it's not the best place for them. I did take on 2 cats last year as I was assured they were flat cats. In a sense they were. In that they'd only lived in a flat. But no way were they. Just too active and it seemed too cruel to keep them in so decided to reluctantly give them a better home. Shame because I do miss them. Especially the male one as he was the coolest cat I've ever had. Such a crazy thing. Ah well, they're better off exploring the outside and being free :)

Keep well everyone :)

Cheers.................Scratch

Pipkin
09-05-12, 21:27
While everyone's describing their pets, I feel guilty for missing out my 2 goldfish! One of them is nearly 10 and is very friendly. Hard to take for a walk though, hence me getting a dog,

Pip x

lauz_lea
09-05-12, 21:46
OMG Pip - a 10 year old goldfish, that's gotta be some kind of world record!

Sorry, I know I don't usually post on this thread (cause I'm not on ven, I'm not on anything right now), but I always check in to read how everyone is getting on as ven was one of the meds my GP suggested a few months ago around the time Pink started on it.

On the topic of pets, they really are great therapy. We got a cat from the RSPCA a few weeks ago - Hairy Mary. She seems to be more drawn to me than my husband or daughter and she really chills me out just sitting on my lap. We also have a parrot, a love bird, a java sparrow and a celestial parrotlet. I really wanted a dog but my husband said "no", but my daughter and I wanted either a mini schnauzer, a chihuahua or a wire haired dach. We won't give up, we'll have one eventually ;)

Glad you all seem to be doing well on the ven.

pinkdove
09-05-12, 21:59
lauz great to hear from you and glad hairy mary is settling in, now if it's a chihuahua you want, lou has 10, and breeds them, you sound good lauz and meds free, so pleased for you hun xx

hope you have all had a good day, some of you are doing really well :D so i think the ven seems to be doing it's job,

kate and pip, why have i got tabs and you two have got capsules lol, are they better ? just checking :blush:

oh and we are all pet lovers too, nice to know i adore animals,

not a bad day for me today, kept busy and relaxed playing that bloody bejewlled blitz on fb, oh i want to be top of the leaderboard...getting hooked xxx

Pipkin
09-05-12, 22:37
Pink - no the capsules aren't better. The XR tabs are much newer and I think some GPs aren't aware of them - Kate's obviously isn't or he would have prescribed them being price conscious as he is. Yours and Petra's experiences show that the tabs are just as good. At the end of the day, it's just the delivery method - the drugs are identical. No need to worry.

Pip xxx

lauz_lea
09-05-12, 22:50
lauz great to hear from you and glad hairy mary is settling in, now if it's a chihuahua you want, lou has 10, and breeds them, you sound good lauz and meds free, so pleased for you hun xx

Thanks Pink - it's not all plain sailing, I'll have a string of "normal" days where I'm 100% me, followed by a string of not so good days, and a few really crappy one chucked in just to test me, but I'm way better than I was on the mirt and I'm just getting on with things on the bad days. Still keeping my diary for the doctor so we can look for the pattern to be able to get more hormone tests done, I guess the tests need to be done when I'm in a having a rough patch, cause the last lot where when I was having a good string of days so have nothing to compare it to, although some of those results came back a bit haywire.

Anyways, I'm so please you're doing well on the ven, if/when another course of meds/HRT is discussed, I imagine ven will be one of the ones discussed, along with cit, but I'd rather give it a while longer without meds and see how I get on.

Catya
10-05-12, 08:55
Pink - no the capsules aren't better. The XR tabs are much newer and I think some GPs aren't aware of them - Kate's obviously isn't or he would have prescribed them being price conscious as he is...

Pip xxx

lol Yes that's what I tried to tell him... But not going to any more! :mad:
Take my new EXPENSIVE capsule soon, after my cuppa and toast. Fingers crossed. xxx

pinkdove
10-05-12, 11:08
morning ven buddies, a day at home for me today, as weather is crap and i feel like chillin today.

lauz, i know what you mean about a string of good days then your tested lol, hope you can get your hormone levels sorted out, something i've thought about myself, but good luck in your recovery you are doing so well xx

kate good luck with the xl, the very expensive xl lol, i'm sure you will be fine, let us know how you get on xx

lou 10 wee chuhauhau's aw so cute and lovely, and you have a busy weekend ahead with birthdays, that will keep you occupies, glad the funeral is over with, hopefully you will be able to settle a bit better now xx

pip, thanks for the info as usual me just being paranoid, not long now for the tiny patter of four paws xx

scrach, you are doing so well too, love to read your posts, keep moving forwards xx

alfredo, hope you are having a good day too xx

nicola, hope you get on ok with the xl too xxsorry if i've missed anyone, hope you all have a good day xx

slowfish
10-05-12, 11:40
Hi

Well I'm just back from the GPs and now have 75mg tablets of ven (prolonged-release) and also some lorezapam. Apparently I take this if the anxiety is bad during the changeover from cit.

So when is the best time to take ven? Is it important to take at exactly the same time each day?

pinkdove
10-05-12, 11:50
hi slowfish, yea the best time to take it is in the morning, most of us on here take it then, and i would try to take it at the same time each day.

you did well getting the extended release to start with, just goes to show how different our gp's are.

good luck with it, and don't worry to much about the changeover as i said in my pm it was nothing i could,ny handle, and i feind them more tolerable than citalopram.

keep us posted and welcome to our ven buddie thread, you will get a lot of support here xx

Catya
10-05-12, 13:05
hi slowfish,

you did well getting the extended release to start with, just goes to show how different our gp's are.

xx

Goodness me, yes! :ohmy: lol

slowfish
10-05-12, 14:12
Thanks pinkdove, really helpful as always.

I usually take my cit at 7.30pm so I think I'll skip tonights and then take a ven at 8am tomorrow morning. I'm really hoping I don't need to take the lorezapam! Fingers crossed!

Sounds like I'm lucky the GP prescribed me prolonged-release, I assume they are more expensive?!

Hope everyone is having a good day :)

pinkdove
10-05-12, 14:26
yes they are more expensive, and kate and i had a job getting them, i had to wait till my dose settled, and kate had to plead i think, so you have an understanding gp, which is half the battle.

i'm sure you'll be fine but if you feel you need to take a lorazapam just take it.

let us know how you get on and good luck xxx

Catya
10-05-12, 16:50
Yes, good luck slowfish.

Pipkin
10-05-12, 17:48
Hi all,

This prescribing lark is like a venlafaxine lottery. Who knows what you'll end up with? My GP not only gave me the XL caps the first time I asked, he put 2 months' worth on one prescription. I must have look either desperate or like he wouldn't win the argument.

Feeling a bit under the weather today but there's some lurgy going round at work so I'm probably fighting it off. Hard to tell if the symptoms are anxiety related sometimes.

Off for a 30 minute power nap shortly. Might perk me up a bit..

Pip x

pinkdove
10-05-12, 18:17
aw pip hope you feel better after your power nap, yea it is hard to tell if it's anxiety related, because that's the first thing we think about.

not a bad day for me today, not done much as weather awfull here, but think i'm better when i'm busy, but nothing i can't handle.

take care you need to get better for that wee puppy arriving xx

Pipkin
10-05-12, 20:27
Thanks Pink. My 30 minute nap turned into 2 hours fast asleep - I'm definitely feelings bit off colour. Anyway, off for some dinner then an early night with a couple of paracetamol...

One thing I've noticed recently is that I wake up with very dry eyes. I'm presuming this is ven as other people complain of a dry mouth which I don't get. Anyone else noticed this?

Pip xx

Catya
10-05-12, 21:09
Yes to dry eyes.
I see these capsules say 'No alcohol' on the packet? Hmmmm. Not sure I'll be sticking to that? Xx

Pipkin
10-05-12, 21:46
Kate,

Interesting about the dry eyes - I'm glad it's not just me. They feel quite gritty, especially when I've just woken up. Still, nothing too bad.

Can't say I've stuck to no alcohol - I usually have a few drinks at the weekend and haven't noticed any problems. I can't drink much these days anyway because it makes me really tired. I haven't even read the leaflet in the Venlaneo as I presumed it would be the same as the other brand I had - Alventa. I'll have a look at mine and see what it says.

Pip x

---------- Post added at 21:46 ---------- Previous post was at 21:39 ----------

Just checked my leaflet. It says 'you should avoid alcohol while you are taking Venlaneo XL prolonged release capsules'. As I said, I drink occasionally at the weekend and I've been ok.

Scratchappy
10-05-12, 21:47
My day has been crap :sad: Anxiety levels pretty high at work. Social situations, man, they take it out of me. I curse the slowness of my head and not being able to think straight. Random negative thoughts that just won't eff off, cluttering my mind.

Just when you think you're doing well, along comes a bad day. So tired. And I've only worked 2 days this week.
After thinking I might be alright on 37.5mg, I'm now considering going up to 75mg. I don't know. So confused....

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well Pip. Hope you get better soon and are well rested after an early night.

Re dry eyes - I always have sore eyes, more or less. I put mine down to anxiety and the body being fatigued, medication, working in an air-con. office and staring at a screen all day. In truth, it may one of those factors or all. Or something else. I dunno.

I'm off to make my sandwiches for tomorrow now and then to crash out early. Goodbye rubbish Thursday. Here's hoping tomorrow is a better day.

G'night all. Take care.

Scratch over an' out.

pinkdove
11-05-12, 10:16
hi guys, pip re dry eyes can't say i've noticed that, but have had a dry mouth on both ven and cit, sorry you are feeling bad, hope you had a good night's sleep and are feeling a bit better today, weekend looming again so you can get some well earned rest then xx

kate i have the occasional glass of dry white, no problems with that, but it is occasionally, hope you are doing ok on the xl xx

scratch, just a blip, we all get them as you say just when you feel you're getting there, another crap day, although you are on a very low dose and your gp might think you need an increase, hope today is better for you than yesterday xx

lou, how are you hun xx

slowfish, how are you doing on the ven ?

alfredo, are you ok today ?

going out to lunch today so will have a small dry white :blush: even tho i'm feeling much better, still have this awareness of something going on, been on 150mg for nearly 7 weeks, and the xl nearly three so hoping to get a wee bit more from them

hope you all have a good day xx

nicola1980
11-05-12, 10:20
Hi guys well i tried the slow release at 150mg and wow my anxiety rocketed, i was literally rocking and climbing the walls, phoned my cpn who spoke to my physchatrist who told me to go back to what i was on 37.5mg am and 75mg pm as mon, tues, wed i seemed to be making progress then i took the 150mg and wham i hit the roof :mad: maybe i just don't need that high a dose?? xx

pinkdove
11-05-12, 11:13
aw nicola, you are going thro it just now, you should do what your doc tells you, yes maybe you need the lower dose.

i hope your infection has cleared up, and you get some relief from the ven soon xx

Scratchappy
11-05-12, 11:32
Hey Pink. Yeah, am on a deliberately low dose as was just easing myself in for the first week or so on 37.5mg. Today I took another quarter of a tab. (37.5mg + 18.75mg) to see how I felt and seem pretty alright. Almost straight away I noticed my mood lifting along with tingles up the back of my neck - like when I first started on the ven.
So I’ll keep on the new dose and then next Wednesday increase to the full 75mg. By going slowly on the medication I’m hoping to minimise the side effects and any potential discomfort.

Enjoy your glass of wine today :) I’m going to have a few drinks tomorrow but will be careful as I don’t want to push it.

Nicola – I don’t really know what to say as I’ve only just starting out on this med. but I’m guessing it’s just your body adjusting/reacting to the new dose. Maybe going to 150mg and that extra bit is possibly too much all at once as you were splitting your dose throughout the day. But am sure your body will settle down after a week or 2 and perhaps you will see some improvement after that? Or maybe you’ve found the dose you’re happy and comfortable with? Never know until you try these things I s’pose. Whatever seems to work best I guess....

I know I found 75mg straight off just too much to handle but a gradual build up on this med. seems to suit me. But we’re all different.

Hope everyone else is as well as can be. Thank funk it’s Friday :)

slowfish
11-05-12, 15:12
Hi everyone - well took my first ven at 8am and have felt quite light-headed up until now. Certainly feels like something is kicking in!

Hope everyone having a good Friday x

Catya
11-05-12, 15:32
Hi. I think you'll find few side effects with that dose. Take care.

pinkdove
11-05-12, 15:46
hiya been out to lunch, shopping, and got caught in the rain, but enjoyed my day.

scratch, yep take it easy whatever suits you, but you sound pretty upbeat and that's a good sign.

slowfish, well done on starting the ven, hope it goes well for you xx

Catya
11-05-12, 19:51
Yep.... So far so good re my new venlafaxine apart from insomnia again, but I shall stick with them! Xx

Knowlesi
12-05-12, 09:31
Hey guys, I've been taking Ven now for 3 weeks and have been trying to stay away from the forum as my CBT sessions told me to, so apologies to just turn up out the blue.

I found once id gotten over the initial horrendous side affects the Ven was working well. I got some diazapam from the Dr and was taking that. However I've found over the last week or so that the anxiety, lack of appetite and nausea have been creeping back and wondered if anyone has experienced this?? Im on 75mg xl. Do you still get anxiety even though you're on Ven??

I've been so impressed with the support provided from this thread it is so nice to see, give yourselves a pat on the back :D

Thanks in advance.

Pipkin
12-05-12, 09:38
Hi Knowlesi,

I think we've all had quite different experiences when starting ven but it's safe to say that anxiety doesn't completely disappear - it's definitely still lurking in the background. This is the same for all ADs. It really lowers the levels though and makes it easier to think more clearly and deal with it when it raises its ugly head.

Ven takes quite a long time to kick in fully and settle down. For me, this took a couple of months. I know that experience is shared by most of us on here. It's clear that it can help you so it's just a matter of patience and trusting that it will work. Believe me, it will! Try your best to distract yourself from the symptoms and let it take its course. I guarantee that you'll look back at your post in a month and realise that you are feeling much better. It's so gradual that it can be hard to see at the time.

Take care

Pip

rockbottok
12-05-12, 13:51
Hi guys.

Well I'm on 1.5 of the 75mg xl now and didn't have any side effects from increasing. :)

Knowlesi......same happened to me but as I settled it went away again. Just stick with it and I know I should keep off the Internet too but this thread is excellent and won't do u any harm. We r all here to support and make u feel better. It's defo helped me a lot

Xx

Pipkin
12-05-12, 15:27
Afternoon all,

Lovely sunny day up here in Yorkshire. Been to work this morning and am now taking a break from doing a bit of garden housekeeping.

Still feeling a bit under the weather but better than I was. I've decided it's half a bug that's going around and half me worrying about it making it worse. I keep having some seriously weird dreams about my teeth falling out and having to have my little toes removed. Not sure what this says about the state of my mind! At least it's a relief to wake up and find all my appendages still attached.

Hope you're all ok today and enjoying the nice weather, if you have it where you are.

Take care

Pip xx

KK77
12-05-12, 16:29
Afternoon all,

I keep having some seriously weird dreams about my teeth falling out and having to have my little toes removed. Not sure what this says about the state of my mind! At least it's a relief to wake up and find all my appendages still attached.

Pip xx

:roflmao:

The fact that you are still in one piece means the glass is half full Pip ;)

pinkdove
12-05-12, 16:32
hi guys just in had lunch out again with my son and his girlfriend, today felt a bit anxious, just when you think you've killed the beast.......it reminds you it's still there, however had a nice day took 2mg diazapam first for over a month, but it settlede me down, feeling better now so just a blip.

ppip glad you are feeling a bit better, weather is nice here to, how long it will last tho' still enjoy it while you can.

lou glad you have'nt had any side effects, hope the increase does you good xx

kate hope you are ok too xx

scratchy, let us know hoe you are getting on, hope you are well
xx

alfredo, hope things are improving for you too xx

knowslesi, welcome and lou is right we are all here to support each other, i am much better on the ven, but had anxiety today, just a blip hopefully, see how it goes, you might need a wee increase xx

slowfish
12-05-12, 17:16
Day two for me and its been ok. I felt slightly light-headed for first couple of hours after taking pill at 8am but no other side effects.

Glad I've made the change from cit. I don't expect it to be easy but so far so good.

Hopefully just a blip pinkdove. Take care x

Catya
12-05-12, 17:33
Oh wow! Feel so much better on this extended release one.xx

pinkdove
12-05-12, 17:56
kate that is great news, you so deserve to feel better xx

slowfish, please you are getting on ok with the ven, hope it continues for you xx

Pipkin
12-05-12, 19:56
Kate,

That's great news! I never thought it would make such a difference. It must be more gradual release that's helping you. One to tell your GP - you'll probably make him cry if he has to put these on repeat for you!

Pip x

nicola1980
12-05-12, 19:58
so why did the slow release make me feel so bad?? :weep: xx

Pipkin
12-05-12, 20:10
Nicola - is it maybe the dose? I can't see why it would if the dose was the same. The only other possibility is a reaction to one of the different ingredients but I think that's very unlikely. Sorry, I'm stumped with that one.

Pip xx

nicola1980
12-05-12, 20:13
could have been the dose, i was only taking 37.5mg and then 75mg and started on 150mg of slow release and oh my life my anxiety hit the roof, felt sick, dry mouth so went back to normal dose on the normal release ven xx

Pipkin
12-05-12, 22:10
Nicola - I know it's really hard to deal with the side effects when you increase the dose but I would give the 150mg XR a go. It will take at least a couple of weeks to settle down but it could really help - Pink's testament to that. Have a think about it.

Pip x

nicola1980
13-05-12, 07:55
Hi pip i tried increasing to 150mg about a month ago aswel on the immediate release tabs and it made me 100 times worse then too, to the point i was having extreme panic attacks everyday, my physchatrist said this can happen if you are on a too higher dose than you need so maybe i just can't tolerate 150mg?? we thought we would give it another shot on the 150mg but nope i was in a right state after just taking 1 of the 150mg xr so i immediatly reduced the next day, thing was prior to increasing id felt like i was making progress as had had a good few days and then i go and mess it all up by increasing ARGH xx

Pipkin
13-05-12, 09:18
I'm sure you're right Nicola. Some people will have a maximum dose which they can't tolerate above. It's hard for me to say because I've never been on more than 75mg. I was just thinking of Pink's experience where she found 150mg very hard at first but now it's working really well for her. That's not to say you'd be the same, of course.

How are you today?

P xx

Catya
13-05-12, 09:33
Hi to all.
Yes, nicola, didn't you take a 75 and then a 37.5 a day? This is what I found suited me and I did stick this for a while think it'd be my optimum dose. Now I've been taking the 150 xl for four days ( including today) and, ok, I can feel some anxiety differences, but I can also feel a positive shift in my mood and motivation. Maybe you could stabilise on the slightly lower dose for a while and then give it anther try? Why were you increased though.... Was it because you still didn't feel right? xxx

pinkdove
13-05-12, 09:36
morning guys, hope you are all well this sunday morning, nice and bright here, but cold...oh where is summer ?

well woke this morning much the same as yeaterday, a little anxious, see doc on tuesday for my med revue, blood pressure etc, i hope it is just a blip, don't get me wrong it's not too bad, but i feel i am slipping back a bit, don't think he will interfere with the pysc's medication, but i am getting a lot of heartburn on ven, i mean daily, and sometimes quite severe, enough to tke a zanac, anyone else ?

aw i hope things will settle down again soon, but i must say i have never had a brilliant feeling back to me completely day, and i wonder if i ever will, sorry for the down post, feeling a wee bit like that today xx

hope you are all improving xx

Pipkin
13-05-12, 09:54
Morning Pink,

You're not slipping back, you're probably just having one of the downs that we all get from time to time - I certainly do though I'm fine in general.

I think I said that I read one of the side effects of venlalic was indigestion so this could tie up with your heartburn. See how it goes and if you're still getting it on Tues, mention it at your review. Did it start with the XR? If so, you could ask for the caps as these don't cause it.

Pip xx

pinkdove
13-05-12, 10:23
thanks pip, so disheartning when your miid slips, and the anxiety is lurking, yea i will tell the gp on tues as it si quite bad and mmaybe get the caps, although will he give me them without the pysc, don't see him again till 25th june...long time to suffer with it.

however i will get my but into gear soon, and get on with my day.

hope you are ok today, and thanks as ever for the advice xx

oh and happy birthday lou :hugs:

Catya
13-05-12, 10:24
Hi pinks and pip!
Sorry to hear about that pinks but pip is right about days having 'ups and 'downs'. Difficult I know though.
Didn't realise that the capsules are better for digestion.... Hope my skinflint doc doesn't decide to change mine.... xxx

Pipkin
13-05-12, 10:30
I just read that some people get indigestion with venlalic though I think it's fairly uncommon. Must be the coating on the tabs. Petra never mentioned it but if it's causing you problems Pink, definitely worth a mention to your GP.

I'm off for a walk while the sunny weather lasts.

Take care

Pip xx

pinkdove
13-05-12, 11:36
thanks guys i will do, kate glad you are finding the capsules better, demand them again, cost should have nothing to do with our wellbeing.

oh i should practice what i preach, hard tho when your feeling flat, but i will treat it as a blip xx

---------- Post added at 11:36 ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 ----------

just a thought pip, have you ever felt back to your old self since starting ven, i mean a full day feeling like you ?
hope you enjoyed your walk xx

Pipkin
13-05-12, 12:42
It's an interesting question Pink because I've had this for so long, I can't really remember what it's like to be completely anxiety free. I can say that I've felt better than I have for a long time and that I get far less anxious than I did before. I certainly haven't had any severe 'take to my bed' episodes. I don't think I ever get through a full day without any anxiety at all though. It's just much more bearable.

I'm past the stage of expecting recovery, just some relief from the worst symptoms and to be able to do the things I want to (and to actually want to do things) is enough for me. Maybe I'm aiming too low but, whilst being an eternal optimist and always positive (as I hope you can see in me), I'm also a realist and don't want to build up my expectations only to be disappointed and frustrated.

Reading that back, it doesn't sound very positive but it's meant to be!

Pip xx

pinkdove
13-05-12, 12:56
yes it does pip, it is very positive and makes so much sense, maybe my expectation's are too high, because i would say i am the same as you now, or near enough, but i'm always aware of something underlying, maybe i need to just accept that, because i am so much better than i was, and no needing to take to bed for me either, so a good sign.

i am better when busy and still feel it a wee bit hard to just sit and relax completely, unless i have something to occupy me, like my laptop lol, whereas i used to be able to sit and watch telly, in an upright position, but now when i settle down at night to watch, i lie on that couch rather than sit.....but i wonder if that is so wrong.

thanks again, and hope you are feeling better yourself pip xx

Pipkin
13-05-12, 13:40
Thanks Pink - I'm feeling much better. I've learnt a bit of a lesson the last couple of days. I was (still am a bit) fighting off some bug that's going around but instead of worrying that I'm going to be ill, I've just taken some paracetamol and carried on as normal. It seems to have calmed my anxiety right down and I feel better for it.

I'm not sure if this is what you're getting at but, although I feel less anxious and the worrying and racing heart and shaking are far better than they were, I'm very tense which is giving me headaches, neck pain and a bad back. I'm also still clenching my teeth and find I keep holding my breath (which might sound very odd but I bet you do it to without noticing - there was a really interesting thread in this a few weeks ago). I'm trying to make a real effort to relax but my body seems to be gearing up for a fight! I think it's the fight or flight response.

As for lying on the sofa, I definitely slump! For me, there's a fine line between slouching and trying to relax, and lying down - lying down is what I do when I'm ill so I try not to do it as it sends a 'poor me' message to my brain. That's just me though, strange as I am!

Overall, I'd say don't stop aiming high but recognise that it's unlikely that we'll ever be 100% and I don't think that's a bad thing. This might sound like the strangest thing I've ever said but anxiety is part of me, has made me who I am and I don't mind a bit of it (I'd probably miss it if it went completely!), it's just when it starts to impact on my life that's it's not welcome.

All a bit philosophical for a Sunday afternoon!

Take care

Pip xxx

pinkdove
13-05-12, 16:16
:D what a great post pip, and i will try to put some if it into pracitice..

just got back, been out and about with hubby, and feel a bit better now, i do enjoy things much better now, and very rarely use diazapam, i did 2mg yesterday the first for a month or so, i do fight it and won't let it get a grip, so onwards and upwards see what tomorrow brings thanks againxx

everyone else is very quiet today, hope you are all ok, and enjoying your sunday xx

Knowlesi
14-05-12, 13:15
Hey everyone, hope you're all ok.

I've tried to take the advice given and keep myself busy this weekend. With the weather being nice that wasn't too hard and managed to have a lovely time with the wife and kids. It's just I don't feel happy - does that make sense? I feel kind of flat and the constant tiredness and nausea seems to remind me that there is something that isn't right and that in turn makes me anxious, it is like a viscious circle.

I take inspiration from the likes of Pink and Pip and probably need to be a little more patient but the initial impact I felt from the ven has gone and I'm left feeling bad again. I couldn't tell you what a full nights sleep felt like!!

I really wish I could come on here and partake in the positive banter so I apologise that all I bring is negativity but I'm really struggling to see progress at the moment.

Hope everyone else is having a better time of it - Pink how are you feeling as I read you felt you had had a little blip?

Take care,

pinkdove
14-05-12, 15:03
hi knowles, don't feel bad about coming on for advice that's what we are here for, and i totally get you about feeling flat, i have had a weekend like that, but you managed to keep busy and spend some time with your wife and kids, and that is a step forward.
how long have you been on the ven, and what dose do you take?
i know it can be soul destroying waiting for it to kick in, and getting the dose right for you, but you will get there, and we are here to help you

i'm feeling a bit better as the day's gone on, except this terrible heartburn, taking a tablet daily for it, see the gp tomorrow so will see what he say's.

hope everyone else is ok to day :hugs: to you all xx

Knowlesi
14-05-12, 16:08
Hey Pink, thanks for that. Currently on 75mg venlalic Xl and have been on it now for almost 4 weeks. I've had morning nausea and weakness in the mornings for a week or so now and I've lost my appetite.

I'm just disappointed I suppose as I felt I was making progress and was telling/convincing myself (and my wife I suppose) that I was on the mend only to feel as though I'm going backwards. A dose increse might be the way forward but that worries me as I cannot handle the side effects I suffered last time when I started Ven.

I never thought anxiety and depression could be this debilitating. It has changed my way of life in a matter of months!

On a brighter note though I'm glad you're feeling better, although heartburn can be so annoying! I find my anxst is highest in the morning and although it stays with me all day tails off by the end of the day.

Thanks again Pink.

pinkdove
14-05-12, 16:32
hiya knowles you are not going backwards, same thing pip told me yesterday, but you may need to speak to your gp about an incrtease, now when you increase the dose i found i had little or no side effects at all, and as with any ad it is never as bad as the start up side effects, we are all different, and need to find the correct dose to keep us stable.

do you take the tabs or capsules ?

yea anxiety is always worse in the morning, the nature of the beast, but i would try to stick with it, and maybe increase if your gp thinks that's what you need.

if only there was something that got us back to normal quick, we never seem to get there quick enough it's so frustrating, but you will get there , hope you feel better soon xx

Pipkin
14-05-12, 18:24
Hi guys,

Hope you're all doing ok. As most of you have been quite quiet on here over the weekend, I'm imagining you out and enjoying the nice weather. I hope that's the case!

Pink - glad you're feeling a bit better. I know you're going to be fine - just have a chat with your GP about the heartburn. Tell him that it is a known side effect with the XR tabs so maybe the caps would suit you better. Let's hope you don't have to beg like Kate did!

Knowlesi - I know just how you feel and how awful it can be at first. It's especially frustrating when you start off feeling better - it feels like a step backwards but it isn't. Take your time and have faith that it will work for you. It can take a good few weeks so be patient and keep coming on here for support. Don't worry about sounding negative. We've all been there and are happy to help. There'll come a time when I need support again and I'm sure you'll be there to keep me on the straight and narrow.

I'm feeling much better today - just a bit of head and neck tension. A hot water bottle on my neck at night really seems to help. Even though Mondays are always my worst day, I've been pretty good today. I think a weekend of walking and gardening has really helped. I highly recommend some vigorous exercise if you're feeling particularly anxious.

Take care

Pip xx

pinkdove
14-05-12, 21:44
hi pip, oh that head and neck tension is just the pits, i have had it and it is awfull, hot water bottle....what a good idea, glad you are feeling ok and a good tip for us all about the exercise. will let you know what the gp say's tomorrow take care xx

hope evertyone is ok, as pip say's quiet the past few days, hope you are all getting better, and busy, keep us posted how you are all doing xx

rockbottok
14-05-12, 22:17
Hi guys. I'm feeling good. But that I probably because I have had a action packed weekend. My daughters 1st birthday saturday, my birthday Sunday and my sons 4th birthday party on Sunday too. I took a pill and a half for 2 days and then felt a few side effects and didn't want them through the weekend so only took 1 pill on sunday and today but going back up tomo. But at the mo I'm feeling good.

Lou xx

pinkdove
14-05-12, 22:48
lou that's great news, so glad you had a good weekend, all those birthdays, must have been so nice, hope you have got over your kidney infection, just goes to show that distraction is a great way to forget how we are feeling. well done lou.

hope you continue to feel good xx

Knowlesi
15-05-12, 10:37
Morning everyone, quick update from me - Pip you mention exercise, well my wife roped me into doing circuit training last night on this new DVD she has got so there we both were doing star jumps, sit ups, press ups etc - was a good laugh and very tiring but felt good for doing it.

I've had another bad nights sleep (does anyone else suffer constant broken nights sleep - I seem to wake almost every 1-2 hours very frustrating) and woke with the usual realisation it was morning and then the stomach churn and nausea would begin. It is getting harder and harder to get out of bed more recently but managed it and got myself and my young son ready for school. I had decided I needed to see the dr sooner than the planned appointment in 2 weeks time and have managed to get a drs appointment for tomorrow morning so that has lifted my spirits slightly.

I'm so determined to beat this, it would be so easy to give up and get a drs note and stay at home but I find once I'm at work it does get better and it is satisfying knowing that you haven't allowed the 'demons' to beat you.

Nice to hear that you're feeling better Lou - I note that you have young children of similar ages to mine - do you find that you can't cope with them around sometimes? I know that may sound odd but I feel that they increase my anxiety.

That is enough from me, hope that everyone else is on good form. Thanks for your posts of support guys it really does help.

Catya
15-05-12, 10:45
It's important to keep up your work if you can..... Without it life is very lonely x

pinkdove
15-05-12, 11:19
morning guys, just back from seeing my gp, and he has prescribed me effexor xl capsules to try for a month, so understanding said i had gone through enough and hopefully they would do the trick, also to go in 2 weeks for some bloods and blood pressure to the nurse and back to him on 11th june, if these caps work he will put them on repeat for me, so will start tomprrow and let you all know how it goes

knowles, you are doing so well to keep up work, i miss my job, kate is right it keeps you focused, good luck at the dr's tomorrow, hope you have a good day xx

kate how are you doing on the caps, do you feel a difference with them ?

lou glad you are doing better hun, hope you have another good day xx

alfredo and slowfish how are you both ?

pip, hope you are having a good day, can't wait to start the effexor caps, don't know if it's in my mind or not, but i have read some really positive stories about them xx

Knowlesi
15-05-12, 12:04
Pink - do you think there is a difference between generics and Effexor? I've read other threads and it seems like 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other.

I'm just wondering if it would be in my interest to request Effexor rather than getting generic xl tablets.

pinkdove
15-05-12, 12:20
i'm not sure about that, i just wanted the capsules to see if they would help with the hearburn, must say tho my sister in law has effexor and is doing great on it, but we are all different, maybe pip can answer that for you, he has a better knowledge than me.

but if you feel you'd like to give effexor a go, then ask, i know they are a lot more expensive, but i was lucky my gp was very understanding.

having said that it says effexor on the box and venlafaxine under it so maybe the same ?

Knowlesi
15-05-12, 13:25
Ah right sorry I understand now. Hope the new caps work better for you. :)

---------- Post added at 13:25 ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 ----------

Seen as I'm off to the docs again tomorrow can anyone tell me the effect that an increase in dose has, i.e what was the reason for the increase and did the increase have the desired effect?

I'm trying really hard to get through the day without using the diazapam the dr gave me to get through the first week of the med change (rationing!!) but the urge to use it these past few days is getting greater and greater.

Just been out to get lunch and it is so nice to have the sun out, it definitely gives a little lift. :yesyes:

alfredo1
15-05-12, 13:57
hi ladies and gents! I'm doing really well on the venlaflaxine. I'd say 85% -always room for improvement. I've found them great, no side effects etc. I've got motivation & confidence back.

I was only saying to my mum at the weeknd, but its not until you feel good and you look back to what you were like before, and realise how bad you really wats.

Iliterally could not funtion on the sertaline - made me suidical. BUT what is good for one is not going to be good for others

nicola1980
15-05-12, 14:01
Ah right sorry I understand now. Hope the new caps work better for you. :)

---------- Post added at 13:25 ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 ----------

Seen as I'm off to the docs again tomorrow can anyone tell me the effect that an increase in dose has, i.e what was the reason for the increase and did the increase have the desired effect?

I'm trying really hard to get through the day without using the diazapam the dr gave me to get through the first week of the med change (rationing!!) but the urge to use it these past few days is getting greater and greater.

Just been out to get lunch and it is so nice to have the sun out, it definitely gives a little lift. :yesyes:
Hi everytme ive had my dose increased ive suffered an increase in my anxiety but not to the extent of when i first started ven.....i nearly quit them on day 4 as i felt that bad, i currently take 37.5mg in the morning and 75mg at night, ive been on them 9 weeks gradually increasing my dose to this and even tho its been hard and i have had some really bad days i feel im getting there slowly xx

alfredo1
15-05-12, 14:03
Hope you guys are all doing well.

I got myself 2 gorgeous little kitten on the wekend but (me not doing my research) took them away from mother too early (lady who sold them to me were scumbags and obviously only wanted my money). They are so lovely, little boy and sister - Very and Freddie (Named after my great aunty and uncle) well, i was broken hearted yesterday when I realised they were too young to be away from their mumma, so i called up cat protection and a lovely lady is fostering them for 3 weeks, whilst they need feeding during the day on proper food (as I am out all day long) I was in tears yesterday feeling terrible for what I'd done.

anyway, she's texted to say they've fed today and also emailed me a photo of them all curled up in their bed. Bless.

How can i attach photo of them???

pinkdove
15-05-12, 15:58
hi knowles, i have incresed ven twice with no side effects at all, stayed on dose for 4 weeks and increased on my pysc's advice, the only side effects i have had was starting on them and that wa withdrawals from the citalopram and not the ven, the reason for increasing was to get to the desired dose where i felt they were really helping. glad the sun's out for you, it's not great here today....but dry xx

alfredo so glad you are doing well on the ven, i have never looked back, and they are working a treat for me i would say i am 95% better, aw those wee kittens, some people are just interested in the money and not the animal's welfare makes me so mad.
you will get them back soon, and you will know they will be ok then.

pip when's you're wee puppy due is it this friday ?

Pipkin
15-05-12, 18:28
Hi everyone,

It's a very active thread today. Must be making up for the quiet weekend.

Alfredo - poor little kittens! You'll get them back soon enough and it's best that they get the intensive care when they're very young. I once had a kitten which had left its mother too young and I had to hand feed it and teach it to wash itself. It was fine after a while especially as I had another tom cat which went all paternal and started looking after it.

Pink - you've really been prescribed the good stuff! I took Effexor XL the first time I was on ven. To answer your question, my opinion is that there is no difference between Effexor and generic but some people would beg to differ. There may be small differences in the capsule coating but the main ingredient is identical. So unless you're hyper-sensitive to ingredients (I'm not), there's no difference. The main point is that you're on the XR capsules which is the same as me and Kate. I'll be very interested to see if you notice a difference. Very few GPs prescribe Effexor now so your GP must be very understanding. Good news!

Knowlesi - there's nothing wrong with the tabs you're on - stick with them and you'll soon see a difference. They're identical to what the rest of us are on, just a different delivery method. A former poster on here did incredibly well on exactly your tablets. If I could give you just one piece of advice, it would be to keep going to work. No matter how hard it is, even when you feel you really can't, go in. The worst thing you could do is go on long-term sick leave. Trust me, I've seen many people do that and it's incredibly hard to go back and it makes anxiety far worse.

Not a bad day for me - just a bit of crap at work but nothing I can't deal with. Yes Pink, Friday is D day and I'm as ready as I'll ever be! A very strange coincidence - my dog shares its name with one of Alfredo's kittens. I'll leave you to guess which one!

Take care

Pip xxx

pinkdove
15-05-12, 18:43
freddie ? lol

Catya
15-05-12, 21:12
I'll really be interested to hear how you get on with the capsules pinkdove. I cannot believe the difference. I actually feel nearly normal... well almost lol.
Fingers crossed for you all. xx

Pipkin
15-05-12, 21:22
Kate - great news. I'm really pleased you're feeling better. I wonde what it is?
Best not to question though and just enjoy it!

Pink - got it in one!

Pip xx

haz
15-05-12, 21:25
Hi,

Sorry to butt in but I've read this whole post with interest. I've recently suffered a relapse and had my sertraline increased but if that doesn't work my psychiatrist is thinking of venlafaxine.

I have a specific question, as I am VERY sensitive to meds (I'm on Lustral as opposed to generic sertraline cos I had problems with one of the generic brands).

Can you get EFFEXOR extended release tablets or capsules in 37.5mg dose? Or can you only get 37.mg extended release in generic form?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Glad you all seem to be doing reasonably well.

Regards.

Haz. :)

pinkdove
15-05-12, 21:39
hi haz, i think you can get your dose in xl, but not sure, your pysc will tell you, if you do have to change, i hope it works for you, i really rate ven, i have almost got my life back to normal, good luck, and let us know how you get on xx

kate so pleased you are feeling better, just hope i feel the same as you on them, will keep you posted xx

haz
15-05-12, 21:57
Thanks Pink Dove. So glad you are feeling better. I have heard good things about venlafaxine although I'm sticking with the sertraline just now. I like to know in advance though about a drug before I start on it. :D I did really well on Seroxat for 14 years and had no signifcant discontinuation problems, unfortunately it just stopped working. :shrug:

Take care.

Haz.x

Catya
15-05-12, 22:34
Haz, I too was on seroxat for a long while. Now I'm on the xl capsules I'm finding the same benefit that seroxat offered..... At last!!!

rockbottok
15-05-12, 22:42
Hi guys. Feeling great at the mo. just a quickie I was thinking of going out for a night out in a couple of weeks and finally feel ready to drink again. My question is is it likely to cause me any problems?? I'm not gonna die am I? Lol jokes. I mean its not likely to cause a adverse reaction and something bad happen? I'm not gonna go stupid but I'd like to get drunk. Having palpitations thinking about it already lol just want my old social life back x

Lou x

Pipkin
15-05-12, 22:45
Haz,

Effexor comes either in standard release tablets (starting at 37.5mg) or extended release capsules (starting at 75mg). Effexor doesn't come in XR tabs. If you absolutely had to have Effexor, the best route would probably be to start on the tabs at 37.5 a day and then swap to the caps at 75 after a couple of weeks. I'm obviously not an expert though and your psychiatrist would give you the best advice.

I've been on the branded and generic and can't tell the slightest difference though, as I said in a previous post, I'm not very sensitive to ingredients.

Hope that helps

Pip

haz
15-05-12, 22:50
Hi Catya,

See, that's what I want! Since Seroxat stopped working I've been on escitalopram, imipramine and sertraline but I've never got that "seroxat" feeling back. For some reason, I've got it in my head that seroxat and venlafaxine are very similar, even though one is ssri and the other snri. I think it's because they are both quite potent drugs.

Glad you're feeling better. I'll stick with the sert until my next relapse, I know that sounds really pessimistic but I've had 3 hospital admissions in the last two years and had none in the previous 14 years when I was on seroxat.

Thanks for your reply.

Haz. x

---------- Post added at 22:50 ---------- Previous post was at 22:46 ----------

Haz,

Effexor comes either in standard release tablets (starting at 37.5mg) or extended release capsules (starting at 75mg). Effexor doesn't come in XR tabs. If you absolutely had to have Effexor, the best route would probably be to start on the tabs at 37.5 a day and then swap to the caps at 75 after a couple of weeks. I'm obviously not an expert though and your psychiatrist would give you the best advice.

I've been on the branded and generic and can't tell the slightest difference though, as I said in a previous post, I'm not very sensitive to ingredients.

Hope that helps

Pip

Ah right! Thanks Pip, you've confirmed what I already thought. I knew you would know! :D

My psychiatrist hates changing my meds cos I usually have bad initial reactions and require to be hospitalised. He's a very experienced consultant psychiatrist though and I do trust him.

Thanks again.

Take care.

Haz.x

Pipkin
15-05-12, 22:51
Lou - just seen your post. I wouldn't like to advise you on this as the leaflet says to avoid alcohol. You'll have seen that a few of us have an occasional drink and seem ok but I guess that's our choice. I would definitely be careful drinking when you're out if you haven't drunk for a while. There's no doubt though that alcohol can make anxiety worse and it would be a real shame to risk it when you're feeling so much better.

Maybe best to wait a while and ask your GP first?
X

haz
15-05-12, 22:52
Pip,

Do you know if you can get generic extended release 37.mg tabs/capsules? Thanks. :)

Pipkin
15-05-12, 23:06
Haz,

I do recall seeing on one of my generic XR caps leaflets that they came in 37.5mg but I can't remember which. I think it might have been Venlaneo. I'll go and look in a minute.

The lowest recommended dose for anxiety is 75mg though a lot of us started out on 37.5 a day to help us get used to them and minimise the initial side effects. If you went down that route, I think you'd be fine on the standard release tabs to start. One thing you can't do is cut the caps in half due to the release mechanism.

Pip

---------- Post added at 23:06 ---------- Previous post was at 22:59 ----------

I've just checked the 2 different generic caps I've currently got - Alventa XL and Venlaneo XL - and the leaflets say they both come in extended release capsules of 37.5, 75 and 150. Not sure why anyone would need the 37.5 though and they might not be readily available. I don't recall seeing them on the NHS drugs list either.

haz
15-05-12, 23:23
Thanks a lot for that Pip. Mmm was thinking I could cut a 75mg extended release in half....but apparently not. Good to know.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Take care.

Haz. x

---------- Post added at 23:23 ---------- Previous post was at 23:20 ----------

The reason I want the extended release is because I have a fear of vomiting and the standard release made a friend of mine vomit. I need to start on 37.5mg (the recommended starting dose for panic disorder) as I'm very sensitive to meds and tend to need lower doses than usual.

Cheers Pip. :)

Pipkin
16-05-12, 05:55
You're right Haz, the XR help with nausea. You can always cut a 37.5 tab in half and take it 12 hours apart.

Pip

Catya
16-05-12, 08:04
Hi Catya,

See, that's what I want! Since Seroxat stopped working I've been on escitalopram, imipramine and sertraline but I've never got that "seroxat" feeling back. For some reason, I've got it in my head that seroxat and venlafaxine are very similar, even though one is ssri and the other snri. I think it's because they are both quite potent drugs.

Glad you're feeling better. I'll stick with the sert until my next relapse, I know that sounds really pessimistic but I've had 3 hospital admissions in the last two years and had none in the previous 14 years when I was on seroxat.

Thanks for your reply.

Haz.x

Yes, I too linked seroxat with venlafaxine. I guess it's because they are both difficult to come off. I've messed around for a while with ven, my dr only allowing me the normal release ones. I had such problems with insomnia taking the second tablet, which obviously had to be taken in the evening because of its short half life. Now I'm on the capsules ( only been a week today) I'm feeling much calmer and more motivated.
I tried citalopram which didn't help, and have had Prozac in the past, and that did help with depression but made me way too agitated. Good luck to you.

Lou? Be careful with alcohol, well at least with getting drunk. I've found it does heighten the effect of drink so you don't need too much. :yahoo: xx

pinkdove
16-05-12, 11:19
morning guys,well took my first capsule today, and feel just the same, haven't grown an extra head or anything, so we'll see how it goes over the coming days and weeks.

nice morning herem done housework bathed the dog, washing done, and now chillin, although it is a bit windy it is dry...roll on summer.

lou, i have the occasional glass of wine, and i;m fine, my sisiter in law has a good drink at weekends and is on ven, and suffers the next day, also as kate says they make the alcohol more potent, so you feel the effects quicker, just be carefull hun, but enjoy yourself xx

kate i am expecting good things from the caps like you have had heres hoping, hope you are still doing well.

haz, yes pip has given you good advice as usual, maybe you'll settle down on your meds and not need to change, but we are all here for supprty whatever you do xx

scratch. how are you doing today ?

slowfish, alfredo and everyone else hope you are all ok today too xx

Catya
16-05-12, 12:06
Pinkdove, I really have been amazed by the difference. Grrr.... How dare he have palmed me off with the others! xx

haz
16-05-12, 12:09
This has been excellent thread for me.

Thanks for all your good wishes and advice guys.

I'll continue to read to see how well you are all doing.

Take care.

Haz. xx

Knowlesi
16-05-12, 12:57
Afternoon all. Well a quick update from me - I saw the doc this morning and he has upped my dose to 150mg Venlalic XL and prescribed zopiclone to help me sleep as I'm waking at all hours of the night at the moment. Interestingly my gp told me today that Ven is designed to work on keeping the user asleep during the later end of the night/morning??

I would second Kates warning on the booze front - I got a little carried away a couple of weeks ago and paid the price the next day. It is so hard as prior to all this I used to enjoy a good booze - just doesn't appeal at the mo.

Pip, I'm impressed with your knowledge for all things Ven related your like the AD guru and you always seem to go to great efforts to provide people with the right information - top man.

Hoping the changes make a difference, got everything crossed. Beginning to feel left out seen as everyone else is out getting themselves new pets - I suppose 3 kids is more than enough to keep me busy for now! :D

Thanks again to everyones comments and support.

pinkdove
16-05-12, 13:33
good luck haz remember we are always here if you need us xx

knowles maybe this dose will be the right dose for you, i hope so, i had little or no side effects increasing so don't worry, yep 3 kids is enough to keep you busy, you can share our pets lol.

kate it is so annoying that they put cost in front of our health, i'm so pleased they are working better for you, i know you have been up and down with dose, now why can't they just do that to start with and save us all those weeks/months of discomfort.

really hoping to see an improvement myself, no heartburn this morning, so that's a start just hope the increased sweating gets better to xx

slowfish
16-05-12, 14:03
hi all

just to let you know that I still seem to just be ticking along and haven't experienced any major problems regarding cit withdrawal or ven side effects. Maybe feel a bit light-headed today so I guess that could be the ven?

Just trying to take it one day at a time.

Hope everyone is doing OK x

pinkdove
16-05-12, 14:32
hi slowfish, that;s good news, i find that ven is a much gentlet ad than cit with fewer side effects anyway, so you just keep ticking along, i'm sure you'll get some positive benefits soon xx

Pipkin
16-05-12, 18:31
Hi all,

Just in from work and sat chilling for a while - calm before the puppy storm! Good day at work and inadvertently discovered a fellow anxiety sufferer and had a good chat with her about it. I think we were both shocked as we cope very well at work and hide it completely. It only people knew!

Have to tell you that my amazing ven dreams reached a peak last night when I dreamt that all of us on this thread went out for a drink. Btw, we had a great time and, for some reason, I took to drinking southern comfort(?). Pink - have you really got big blonde hair?? If you haven't, perhaps your extra head will have after a few days on the new capsules? Maybe one day when we're a up to it, we can really go out for a booze up - as long as it's up North as I come out in a rash if I travel south of Sheffield and my passport's out of date...

Good to see everyone doing so well. Not sure about me being an AD guru - I think I just read too much and retain information which is probably half my problem. Always happy to help though when I can.

Take care and keep posting

Pip xx

Catya
16-05-12, 19:07
I'm glad my meds are working for me at last..... I need some extra help now.

Mixed emotions. It's my eldest daughter's wedding this weekend but my brother has rung me today.... His cancer has spread. This is just the news I didn't want to hear. :(

nicola1980
16-05-12, 19:14
sorry to hear that Kate sending you :hugs: :hugs: xxxxxxxxxxx

haz
16-05-12, 19:56
I'm glad my meds are working for me at last..... I need some extra help now.

Mixed emotions. It's my eldest daughter's wedding this weekend but my brother has rung me today.... His cancer has spread. This is just the news I didn't want to hear. :(

Oh dear. I'm very sorry to hear about your brother and you've got your eldest daughter's wedding at the weekend, that's enough to stress out the most calm, laid back person, never mind someone already struggling with anxiety.

You'll find the strength to get through.

Best Wishes. :hugs:

Catya
16-05-12, 20:35
Thanks for your thoughts.... can't get my head round it all tonight. I have to be upbeat for my daughter's sake (they don't know my brother's news), but it's difficult. xx

---------- Post added at 20:35 ---------- Previous post was at 20:20 ----------

hmmmm... shall sit and play my game on here! It always helps me, strangely! xx

Pipkin
16-05-12, 20:39
Thinking of you Kate :bighug1:
xxxxx

lett20
16-05-12, 21:12
Hi I'm.new to the site .. I.have been on citalopram 40mg.for 5 years however my phys stopped them on Saturday and I started on venlafaxine 75mg ( slow release ) today , just a bit concerned because I.don't really know a lot about them xx

Pipkin
16-05-12, 21:52
Hi Lett :welcome:!

Most of us on here have had very positive experiences of venlafaxine as you'll probably have seen on this thread. You might experience some effects when you swap though I know Pinkdove had very few when she moved from cit - I'm sure she'll be able to tell you more.

Keep posting on here and let us know how you're getting on.

Take care

Pip x