PDA

View Full Version : Needing a little reassurance

jazzy14
16-02-12, 16:09
I'm experiencing a bit of a rough patch at the moment. My OCD has been getting the better of me, as I have still been getting upset by my disturbing thoughts. I called the university counselling services yesterday (thought I could use some therapy), and broke down into tears after answering yes when they asked if I have had thoughts of harming myself or others. :weep: I do not want to die. I do not want to hurt others. In fact, I am terrified of death in all forms. Maybe that's why I'm struggling so much with this. I simply want these thoughts to GO AWAY. I'm trying to let them in and rationalize with them, but I'm afraid that if I accept them that I actually will harm myself or others. I'm terrified that I'm going to go to this therapy and they'll send me to a mental institution or something. Anyone out there who has had this problem, I would really appreciate the advice. I want these thoughts to quit running my life!

Little elfin
16-02-12, 17:06
Hey lovely,
try to remember these feelings always pass and that fighting them often increases the anxiety. I know exactly how you feel, I've been having a battle today with my anxiety.
Hugs to you
L.E
xxx

Scared_11
16-02-12, 17:12
I have been exactly the same. Ur OCD sounds very similar to mine and the past few days have been realy bad for me! I had therapy about 10 months ago which helped a lot but I am having a bit of a relapse. It's so hard. Read some of my posts if u can so that u can see what goes through my mind! Always just thoughts I will harm myself or want to kill myself. They terrify me and send my mood so low!

mmb
16-02-12, 17:20
Hello Jazzy,
I am also fighting these feelings and I know it's not easy... :weep: I am terrified that I could "lose my mind" and do something silly but I am trying to accept that these are thoughts, they are not the actions you would ever take!!
Try not fighting the thinking. just acknowledge and let them go... they will eventually...
No advices sorry but I'm certainly send you a big hug from a fellow sufferer :)

Scared_11
16-02-12, 18:51
I get these thoughts also and I am having a bad week in terms of negative thinking, my main thought at the moment is 'what if I can't handle anxiety anymore and ending up killing myself' truly terrifying thought.

They come and go all the time. My main advise would be to just try and distract yourself as much as possible. It's impossible to think more than one thing at a time so if you distract yourself then it gives ur brain the break from any thought u don't want. Also sometimes u greet my thoughts, like I will say ' oh hello here you are again thought' this seems to help me.

jazzy14
16-02-12, 22:25
Thanks everyone :) That makes me feel a lot better. For some reason I have just felt like crying all day, but the more I thought about it this may have something to do with my monthly visitor coming soon. Being an emotional mess does not help matters! And scared 11, I have had this thought lately too! It really is terrifying. But deep down I KNOW that I would never want to do anything to harm anyone, including my family. I love them to pieces. I really do love life, I just wish that I wasn't having these thoughts. They bring me down.

Scared_11
16-02-12, 22:47
I have felt exactly the same all day. Less anxious but very low and sad. I could have cried all day. I am the same, I just want to get better and enjoy life again. I am so scared that I won't and I can't take it anymore and do something to hurt my family who I love so much. The fear of hurting everyone around me keeps this worry going.

Tomorrow is a new day tho and it might be a good day.