PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram to Effexor?

jazzy14
16-02-12, 17:19
Hello everyone~

I'm Hayley, and I'm 21 years old. I've been on Citalopram for a little over a month for anxiety. Started on 20mg, now have been on 40mg for a little under three weeks. Although my anxiety and panic is better, I still am having disturbing thoughts and sometimes feeling anxious and down for no apparent reason. I called my doc office yesterday to tell them that I'm still having ups and downs. She now wants me to take Effexor instead. However, I'm going to try and tough it out with the citalopram for another few weeks, as that is when my next appointment is. I've never been on anti-anxiety/depression meds before, so this is all new to me. I'm very scared to get off of the Citalopram and start a new medication. :ohmy: The side effects from citalopram were AWFUL. Does anyone have any advice/opinions about this medication? Preferably good stories please! :)

LAURA48
16-02-12, 17:35
Hi Hayley - it is always nerve racking changing meds - I have just come off Mirtzapine to Prozac - was on the latter for 15 years and the side effects were horrendous - so you can imagine how I felt going on these second time around! Early days but the side effects are bearable - lots of tears - but you have to give it a go - otherwise what might have been. The side effects of effexor may seem mild to citalopram and there have been lots of good things said about effexor on this site - may be the making of you - that is what I am hoping for!! Prozac changed my life before - but good luck - you will be fine. Laura x

pinkdove
16-02-12, 17:36
HI jazzy have just switched fron citalopram to effexor,and have had no problems, took citalopam 25mg now take effexor 37.5 mg twice a day. day 16 now xx