PDA

View Full Version : question - has this happened to you?

jothenurse
16-02-12, 23:11
Has anyone had this happen before? All I can equate it to, is like when you drive the same route every day for a long time and one day you're driving to work, and you're at work, but you don't really remember driving much. I have had this happen before, because I have had a lot on my mind and I think this happens to other people. But this morning, I have a regular routine when getting ready for work (I have some OCD also). I was done with my shower thinking pretty heavy about some things, started to dry my hair, then picked up my laundry and put it in the hamper and got dressed. When I went back into the bathroom, I really have to admit I don't remember finishing drying my hair or putting on my deodorant, but of course, my hair was dry. So, I really had a panic wondering what was wrong with me and could I have been thinking that hard and on auto pilot that I don't remember finishing drying my hair? I did speak with my counselor, and he said that I tend to think really deep, and this happens to other people, and most people don't get panicky about it. They're just thinking about a lot of things and don't focus on what they are doing. Needless to say I was pretty panicky. Went to work and my panic subsided as they day went through, but now I'm thinking about it, and am still scared. Is this normal? I have a panic disorder. Haven't posted for a long time, because things have been better, though I have anxiety every day and still get panicky at times. Just looking for some reassurance.

kittikat
16-02-12, 23:34
I think you are experiencing depersonalisation and derealisation, classic symptoms of anxiety and panic disorder. It will pass but can be quite frightening. Have a chat with your GP when you get time.

jothenurse
16-02-12, 23:37
Thank you for your reply. I'm just trying to reassure myself. My therapist said it was no big deal and just focusing in too much on how I feel and thinking too deep, and then getting panicky about it. I'm trying to just be rational about it. He says things like this happen to other people, because they have a lot on their mind. They just don't panic about it. I'm still scared though.

Stormsky
16-02-12, 23:44
When your deep in thought, things you do routinely dont take much concentration... ive often gone on a car journey, and not remembered any of it ! just in automatic mode, especially when its a route you travel daily...
and now your just over thinking it all, which is what i do too!

jothenurse
17-02-12, 00:00
Thanks. That really helps.

haz
17-02-12, 00:02
I'm with Stormsky on this one. I've been driving for 25 years and I've often reached my destination without recalling indicating, changing gears, stopping at traffic lights etc. I've obviously been thinking about other things and just gone into auto pilot, although obviously still aware of my surroundings or I'd have crashed the car!

Haz. :hugs:

jothenurse
17-02-12, 01:12
Thanks. I feel better about it. I just need to not get panicky about things like that.