PDA

View Full Version : Anxious About Upcoming Annual Physical Examination for Work

skyisblue
17-02-12, 05:22
We just received a memo that an Annual Physical Examination has been set for the university. This is my first work and I never thought that medical check ups would terrify me this much.

According to the memo, the APE would include complete blood count, stool analysis, urinalysis, and chest x-ray :(

I am absolutely not worried about the procedure itself, but what I am terrified about is the medical results : I have a gut feeling they will find something abnormal within me.

I am only 21 years old and I have a lot of going on in me now. I cannot concentrate on my studies and work because of this medical check-up at work. :weep:

kingkong
17-02-12, 15:38
Hi,

Its quiet normal to feel anxious and worried about the medical tests and the results. Soon you will get used to it.
I had a first thorough medical for my first job, and that included vision tests and everything. As a child, I had a look at an encyclopedia, that mentioned about colour blindness tests, and I was not able to see the pattern in a photo which the book mentioned. I was so worried and anxious and was restless. I also came to know that colour blind people cannot work in certain areas. That added to my anxiety. Few weeks before the test, I was imagining things, seeing things, worried what the color of the bus is, the color of the leaf is, the color of the ink is etc etc. The more you get to think about it, the more the mind plays games with you.
Finally, I was able to see "all" the numbers and patterns in the actual test.

Then whenever I have changed jobs, I go through a medical test, and during the last 2 changes, I was pointed out that I had high blood pressure and a fatty liver and hence I was asked to be careful. I recently had a gall bladder attack and was hospitalised. Had I been careful, things would have been different.

SO consider the medical tests as a positive thing. THis will reduce your anxiety.