PDA

View Full Version : Cysts fibroids or cancer

kirstynic
17-02-12, 06:15
Does anyone post menepausal know what could cause these symptoms Ongoing tummy upset for nearly a year including tummy pains and gas as well as sick feeling, have eliminated foods that thought may be causing it but still get it. Doctor felt a slight swelling on left side of tummy yesterday and being sent for scan. Can only be cancer surely and as have had this tummy upset on and off quite alot over a year it surely will be advanced:((((((

macc noodle
17-02-12, 08:32
Kirstynic

You posted same yesterday saying it was your mum - is it you or your mum?

Re: slight swelling on left hand side of tum - listen my dad had a considerable swelling and the GP was quite convinced it was something nasty and he was sent for a scan within a couple of days and had a suite of blood tests - they bloods all came back off the scale implying some problem in there and then the scan was completely clear!!! Bloods retested for a month and the levels just went back to normal - and the lump the doc could feel had completely gone!!!

Sometimes you get swellings in abdomen with diverticulitis !!

There is a whole host of potential diagnoses for this slight swelling and once you have had the scan, it will become clear. I would try not to worry if I were you - has the doc ordered a complete suite of blood tests for you (or your mum)?

Macc Noodle
xx

kirstynic
17-02-12, 09:00
Hi macc it is my mum I am so worried. If it was just the bad tummy I would be worried but the fact it's together with swelling I am now in a state. The doctor has only suggested a scan to start with and mentioned it could be ovaries, cyst or something else. My mum is 53 and at prime age for such cancer and I am petrified, she is my best friend and I love her so much I don't want to lose her

justina
17-02-12, 09:17
Hi macc it is my mum I am so worried. If it was just the bad tummy I would be worried but the fact it's together with swelling I am now in a state. The doctor has only suggested a scan to start with and mentioned it could be ovaries, cyst or something else. My mum is 53 and at prime age for such cancer and I am petrified, she is my best friend and I love her so much I don't want to lose her

Well benign cysts are very common. It could absolutely be something that is very easy to treat, cancer is NOT the only possible diagnosis.

I understand you so well. Last year I was almost planning my mum's funeral!!! I was sure se had a tumour behind her nose, she had ALL the symptoms! ALL of them! She did x-rays and CT-scans and it was just a virus. But in the meanwhile, I was almost dead of all my worrying.

So please ttry to be rational and remember that there are so many things that could cause her symptoms. We focus on cancer but there are things we've never heard about, too, that are easy to treat and not dangerous.:bighug1:

kirstynic
17-02-12, 09:36
Thank you for your replys. It's just I know how much of a killer OC is its always caught in the late stages and as my mum has had symptoms for months since summer last year it's bound to be incurarable. Her tummy symtoms are like ibs symtoms and ibs is often mis diagnosed when and OC is not found, but that as well as age and the swelling I am really just failing to see any positive outcome :(

justina
17-02-12, 09:49
Thank you for your replys. It's just I know how much of a killer OC is its always caught in the late stages and as my mum has had symptoms for months since summer last year it's bound to be incurarable. Her tummy symtoms are like ibs symtoms and ibs is often mis diagnosed when and OC is not found, but that as well as age and the swelling I am really just failing to see any positive outcome :(

I can understand you perfectly. Your brain works exactly like mine (unfortunately for both of us). But please don't think that cancer is the only possible cause of your mim's problems. Benign cysts are more common than ovarian cancer.
(AND, many women DO survive ovarian cancer.)

kirstynic
17-02-12, 10:01
I know I hate the way I think, I was doing well with my ha up till now. It's just everything seems against her everywhere you look it says how OC is common in post menopause woman and that it causes ibs symtoms, and now the the doctor has found this swelling it's like it's all the symptoms are the same

macc noodle
17-02-12, 18:11

Honey if you look at the statistics, most cases present older than 53 - the chances of getting this type of cancer are very small.

Has she been period free for over a year?

IBS gives you bloating big time and also gives you pelvic pain too.

Please try not to get yourself so worked up about this - I have had what I thought were OC symptoms for 2 years before I plucked up courage to go to docs (summer 2010) and they tested me - all my bloods were fine and even the CA125 came back negative. I have just had a repeat of the same test again along with a load of other blood tests because of bloating but my periods are very irregular because I am still deemed to be peri-menopause - you are only truly deemed to be menopausal when you have had a year without periods.

I know it is worrying but worry does not change anything - as my dad says "only worth worrying abou things you can change, the rest is futile".

Has the doc said how long it will be before the appt comes thru?

Chin up :hugs:

Macc Noodle
xx

kirstynic
17-02-12, 18:34
Thankyou macc

My mum has not had a period for well over a year. I spoke to her today about what happened at the doctors. She explained that she gets a lot of tummy pains and gas that smells like a sewer. Her pains sometimes feel better after gas. She said that he felt her tummy and it hurt when he pushed a bit on the right side but it was the left side he found a lump around her ovary. The scan is going to take a few weeks before she has it. I am out of it with worry and my mum hasn't even considered OC and I haven't said anything as don't want to upset her :((((

macc noodle
17-02-12, 19:22
Thankyou macc

My mum has not had a period for well over a year. I spoke to her today about what happened at the doctors. She explained that she gets a lot of tummy pains and gas that smells like a sewer. Her pains sometimes feel better after gas. She said that he felt her tummy and it hurt when he pushed a bit on the right side but it was the left side he found a lump around her ovary. The scan is going to take a few weeks before she has it. I am out of it with worry and my mum hasn't even considered OC and I haven't said anything as don't want to upset her :((((

OK lol @ smells like a sewer !!!! I know that smell - when I have an episode of IBS that is how it is :blush:

You need to chill out Kirsty - if the doc was really concerned then the scan would be done quicker and they would have ordered the CA125 test (blood test for Ovarian Cancer) if they were at all concerned.

I have just had this tested for the second time because of symptoms I am presenting and my worries about having OC so I speak from experience here! Just awaiting the results.

Did the doc order blood tests?

I am sure that your mum will be fine :yesyes: and you will have spent weeks worrying yourself silly over something that is a very remote possibility and make yourself ill in the process.

I am always more than happy to chat - PM me if you need more support.

:hugs:

Macc Noodle

xx

PS ; as we ladies get older sometimes we get a bit sluggish in the bowel department due to hormones (or lack thereof). And the swelling could just be a benign cyst or nothing at all - even a gland raised.