PDA

View Full Version : so I've started having panic attacks again...

chloevictoria
17-02-12, 10:32
I've only ever had one panic attack in my whole life, and that was last June when I had some exams and I was procrastinating. Back then I didn't realise what was causing it so I let myself believe I was dying. Soon enough, I found out it was anxiety but since then I had an obsession with my breathing which still hasn't gone away. I've been very close to having another panic attack but its never come close to it. I guess its the fear that I'm going to have another one.
Anyway, after I had the first panic attack I remember feeling all heavy and tired and unmotivated - I couldn't even stand up without getting a symptom.
On Monday this week, I experienced what I believe to be another full-blown panic attack. Not as bad as the last one but heyho. This was after a bad cold and I'd been hyperventilating for a few days without realising as I couldn't use my nose. But now the obsession is worse and I feel really heavy and my head feels fuzzy and I feel tired (but not weak).
I don't want this to happen again and I don't want it to ruin my life.
Does anyone have any tips for:
1). Dealing with breathing obsessions
2). Dealing with the symptoms after a panic attack
3). Dealing with the diseases you think you could 'have' because of the symptoms?
If you overcame it, what did you do?
Thankyou very much for your help!

flossie
17-02-12, 11:01
Have you ever been taught how to breath properly? Have a look at youtube for how to. This may be a good start to help control the anxieties you are feeling at the moment. You might also like to consider yoga if you have classes near you.
Don't worry about the hyperventilating with a cold. If you can't breath easily then things are bound to go a little haywire. It's just the anxiety making things feel a hundred times worse than they really are.
Living in a state of anxiety will make you feel tired. You body and brain are in readiness to fight the next challenge which our over active minds present to them, wasting energy that could be put to much better use like doing something enjoyable.
Are there things going on in your life at the moment that are making you unhappy or a little more stressed than normal?
I'm sure others on here will be able to help you.
:flowers:

chloevictoria
17-02-12, 13:04
I think yoga sounds like a really good idea :) I need to try it.
I've been told that I need to get some other interests like painting or something but I've never got round to it.
Nothing in my life is particularly stressful at the moment, I think it was just the cold I had. But this time, because I know it's the anxiety, I'm trying to deal with it in more effective ways, which at the moment seems to be helping quite a bit :)
Thankyou for replying :)

flossie
17-02-12, 13:29
Absolutely fill your life with hobbies and trying new things. I am jack of all trades and master of none. Are you an arty crafty type? I've done encaustic wax art, card making, useless at water colour. I bought a sewing machine, I love making craft things like bunting, patchwork and cushions. I have also just joined a forum that knits and crochets for charities. I have always wanted to do mosaic work and stained glass and learn Tai Chi.
How about learning to play an instrument or going swimming. The only way to find out what you do and don't like doing is to try lots of new things. You never know, one day your hobby might turn into an income for you.
If you don't know where to start with a new hobby go to the library and get some books. Once you find where your interests lie you will move on to other related hobbies and you will also be able to interact with others on forums and share ideas. Your local library might also have information about groups in your area.
Any idea what you would like to do? Learn a new language, sport, cooking? I'm determined help you find something different to think about now and hope my suggestions will give you a few ideas where to start looking for inspiration. Even going for a good brisk walk will help you to feel better in yourself.

chloevictoria
18-02-12, 17:00
First of all, thankyou for your suggestions, they are really helping! And thankyou for being concerned :)
I used to do a lot of sport when I was younger, but now I'm scared of most of it because I always think I'm going to have a panic attack.
Unfortunately I'm not particularly creative.. although I do like painting because it's quite relaxing.
I really love learning languages, and it sounds a little odd but they really do keep me occupied.. at the moment I'm learning Spanish but I've pretty much mastered French and German.
It's just being motivated to do things which is my problem I guess :(
Thankyou so so much, I am definitely going to try some of the things you suggested!

flossie
18-02-12, 17:19
:yesyes: