PDA

View Full Version : Globus - Lump in the throat AGAIN..

Dan21
20-06-06, 17:16
Hi guys,

I just need a little bit of re-assurance if thats OK?. This feeling of a lump in my throat has come back. It's as prominent as it has been but doesnt seem to be any worse than it has been before. In fact, it never seems to be any worse than this. As you might have read before, I've been experiencing this for well over 6 months now. I guess what I want re-assurance on is that if it was a lump that was growing, it would have felt worse than this, probably become more uncomfortable over time. Surely?? I'm beginning to really, really scare myself again.

I know this is almost certainly a reaction to the last few weeks, but please tell me that I'm suffering a relapse of my HA..........

Thanks

-----------------------------
I want to go up to my anxiety, smile, put my arm around it and say to it caringly, 'Hey! How are you? How's your day been?'

Then, just as its about to answer me, I wanna throw a sack over it and give it a hiding within an inch of its life.

That would be nice.

whatisitnow
20-06-06, 18:58
Of course you are. I used to get the dreaded Globus & its extreeeeeeeeemely common with anxiety. The only reason i get every other flippin thing & not him now days is because i got one over on it years ago & know exactly what it would be if it showed up again. Bet that really annoyed it! :D
Do you find for the first 30 seconds when you wake up in the morning its not there? I used to. Its the same with every damn symptom i get these days (except the latest, the chest pains, but im keeping those in check at the mo)
Chin up, you know deep down whats going on, dont forget that.
;)
Caz xxxxxxxxx

Pete to win Big Brother! He is Daddy Fantastic with pants made of elastic!

Daisybun
20-06-06, 19:07
Hi Dan , you've been through such a lot these past few weeks it's no wonder the lump in the throat is back. Just remember that it is anxiety, I had it for 4 months last year. When I relaxed it went, as Caz has said first thing in the morning I'd be free then it would be there. So don't worry it is just that globus again.

Take care
Daisybun

'This too will pass'

eeyorelover
20-06-06, 19:54
Hi Dan -
Of course it's ok to need reassurance :)
There are lots of posts about people here having the lump in the throat feeling. It is common with anxiety but it sure doesn't make it anymore less annoying or scary - huh??!!
Maybe you should try some relaxation techniques or maybe even meditation. I found a good site that I do when I am anxious.
Here's the link....
http://www.meditainment.com/free/download.cfm

Hope it helps :)

Sandy
(eeyorelover)

You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself. "I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along."

- Elenor Roosevelt

Dan21
23-06-06, 12:03
Guys,

I am so sorry for bumping this thread backup there again, but I just wanted to run something past those of you who have suffered this horrible globus.

Have you experienced, when you have had the globus, a really phlegmy throat and a bit of a croaky voice? I dont mean a sore throat, but just like a feeling that you have to clear your throat every few minutes? My throat feels kind of tight, but also a bit wheezy too. I dont feel ill in myself, but this throat thing is enough to drive a man insane.

Your thoughts would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Dan

-----------------------------
I want to go up to my anxiety, smile, put my arm around it and say to it caringly, 'Hey! How are you? How's your day been?'

Then, just as its about to answer me, I wanna throw a sack over it and give it a hiding within an inch of its life.

That would be nice.

lass
23-06-06, 13:15
Hi Dan,

My husband is the most laid back, relaxed person you could ever meet, and he doesnt stress about anything (I do all the worrying for both of us!).

However he developed globus this year and his was accompanied by the throat symptoms you described, plus needing to swallow lots and clear his throat.

Once he was diagnosed (which took ages as he never visits the doc!), the symptoms disappeared as quickly as they came.

He still finds it hard to believe he suffered something that was (a) stress induced and (b) pschyscological - there was nothing going on in his/our life to cause him any anxiety at the time.

But I hope it helps to know that his symptoms were exactly as yours.

Take care,
Caroline

LisaL
27-11-09, 23:57
Hi all

I can't even begin to tell you what a relief it has been reading your messages. I have had this feeling of a lump in the back of my throat, as if I had mucus there and I keep trying to swallow to get it to go down and it never goes. I have been taking decongestants, even though I don't have any other symptoms of a cold and of course it hasn't gone. It is driving me crazy and I can't stop swallowing to try and get it to go.
I was then convinced that I had throat cancer and of course that has had me terrified and in fact made the lump feel bigger.
So to read your messages on this site has made me feel so much better, although had you asked me if I was stressed, I would have said, no more than ususal. So I don't know why this has happened now as I have been much more stressed than this in the past.
Sorry for rambling on, but I have been sat here, terrified and scared. I think I will still go see my doctor to check, but at least I will have a more relaxed evening as from reading the symptoms from everyone else, I am pretty sure that I have this Globus.

Thank you all xxx:)

EmilyGoodenough
24-03-10, 21:50
Hi All,
I am sooooo happy to have read this but am still abit concered as to whether it is what I actually have or whether i am self diagnosing myself as I seem to be doing lately! Any ideas from you guys would be great as it seems we are all in a similarly frustrating boat here and so understand how each other feels. Firstly i hope you all of you above are no longer suffering....that will give me hope and also please me that you are no longer in pain. So I am a dancer/singer and came down with a common cold virus (sore throat, BAD cough, cold) the usual thing, in a show I was doing over christmas. And I immediately was devastated as it meant I had to have time off of the show which I did not want to do, and had that pressure of needing to be back and fit asap. I was so scared and stressed from that moment and I felt like after the common cold symptoms had gone, something developed in my throat and it almost felt like a piece of popcorn had got stuck. It's not in my throat as such but feels more close to my tonsil area and at the top of my throat just on one side. It is the most bizarre feeling and I couldn't call it a pain, more of an annoyance which turns into a pain when I talk and when I am in a dry area. Where i was trying to sing in the show, and was SO stressed out, when the show finished I came back home, and have not worked since as the lump sensation is still there. I have seen an ENT and she found a mucous cyst that i had an op to remove but that did nothing. I have had an MRI scan, nothing found, and also looked into tonsil stones but the ENT is convinced my tonsils are FINE!! So, what is it I wonder? I am having voice therapy at the moment to try and release the muscles, but Like you guys, I find it so hard to believe that this is stress because it can be very painful at times and I think how did I bring this on myself just by stress? It is stopping me from going out, and singing, and from just being me, and really has gotten me down. What do you guys think? Any ideas would be soooooooooooooooo gratefully appreciated I cannot tell you how much. And I really do hope you are all ok.
Love Emily xxx
PS. I also have the first 30 seconds in the morning with it being ok? Soooooooo strange xxx

EmilyGoodenough
24-03-10, 21:51
Lisa How are you? Did it ever go? I have just posted below as I am scared too. It is such a bizarre sensation x

Hi all

I can't even begin to tell you what a relief it has been reading your messages. I have had this feeling of a lump in the back of my throat, as if I had mucus there and I keep trying to swallow to get it to go down and it never goes. I have been taking decongestants, even though I don't have any other symptoms of a cold and of course it hasn't gone. It is driving me crazy and I can't stop swallowing to try and get it to go.
I was then convinced that I had throat cancer and of course that has had me terrified and in fact made the lump feel bigger.
So to read your messages on this site has made me feel so much better, although had you asked me if I was stressed, I would have said, no more than ususal. So I don't know why this has happened now as I have been much more stressed than this in the past.
Sorry for rambling on, but I have been sat here, terrified and scared. I think I will still go see my doctor to check, but at least I will have a more relaxed evening as from reading the symptoms from everyone else, I am pretty sure that I have this Globus.

Thank you all xxx:)