PDA

View Full Version : confused with blood results

miss sparkle
17-02-12, 18:41
Hi everyone. just been back doctors for my results, and good news she said they didn't show anything out of the ordinary up. BUT the appointment confused me bit as when i asked if there was something really wrong would it show up, she said something like 'i tested for some other things too, and nothing seemed out of the ordinary.
any other person would think great, but having this HA thing means i keep thinking what else was she looking for then!?
i should of questioned her but i was half hour late going in and she seemed in a real rush to get me on my way.
the outcome was she suggested a better diet and exercise and see how i get on!
on one hand i am relieved, but me being me, Im still finding it hard to believe it is all down to something as simple as diet exercise and trying to relax!@

K1rsty
17-02-12, 18:49
Hi,Please try not to worry as if there was anything wrong your Gp would have told you there and then and even sent you for further tests. When they take a vial of blood they can do many tests on one sample and I am sure you r gp would have done a general screen that many people have. Hope I make sense!!! If you are still worried PM me.

macc noodle
17-02-12, 19:17
Did you not look at the pathology slip that they give you when you go to give the blood? Or did the GP take the blood for you?

I always like to know what is being tested - because actually it can give you a real sense of well being if you know that they have done a full MOT and it all came back clear.

Try not to worry - just take the positive news and enjoy it :D

pearl79
17-02-12, 19:27
i recently had full bloods to try and calm my HA but my doctor said ll my results were fine but when i asked if it would show if i hd cancer or not he said no... so now i think what was the point.....

Sazziesaz
17-02-12, 20:08
Hi, don't think bloods would specifically show if you had cancer, but I think if you had cancer, your white blood cells would be all over the place, meaning that if they were the doc would be concerned and then send you for more tests! I think that is right! Hope that helps xx

pearl79
17-02-12, 20:12
thanks sazziesaz <3 xx

Stormsky
17-02-12, 20:57
If they were general, i had mine done recently, checked for vit b, vit d, iron, thyroid, hormones, and maybe couple more things... when i first rang for results, the receptionist said something was 'high' in a reading, which i thought she said was thyroid... so i made an appt to see my doc, and they said thyroid fine.... i never said to doc what receptionist had said, so when i got home i decided to ring , and they got doc to call me back, and she went through it again on phone.... the reading that was high was my hormones, which could be peri menopause sign...
so you could do the same, ring your doc and ask specifically what they tested for... just get a telephone appt...
I was told the same, diet and exercise, or have anti depressants..... i didnt want meds, so that was the end of that!

countrygirl
17-02-12, 21:57
Having worked at a Drs what the Dr would be saying is that she cannot give you a 100% guarantee that you are perfecftly healthy as no one can as even having every medical test ever invented cannot cover every possibility.

If she did what they call an mot of blood tests which includes full blood count liver and kidneys etc then if these are all within normal limits then its unlikely that you have anything seriously and advanced wrong with you but there are literally hundreds of available blood tests and you would need every single one done to cover all areas!

For example and this is not to scare you but to explain - if you had say early breast cancer then no blood test would show this up which is why they do breast screening with mammograms but if you had advanced breast cancer that had spread around your body then say your liver test would be wonky etc etc. My friend had multiple myeloma a bone marrow cancer and her full blood count was all to pot so this alerted them to do more testing and this is how it works.

The routine blood work up gives the Dr a good indication of how healthy you are likely to be but as she said it does not and cannot cover everything but as yours was all fine you can be very reassured and anyone without ha would be very happy with this:yesyes:

pearl79
17-02-12, 22:19
thanx stormsky and countryside <3<3<3

miss sparkle
18-02-12, 11:55
Thankyou for replying everyone. i am going to try the diet and exercise and see if it makes a difference. i feel really dizzy today, which is silly because surely i should be relieved, but oh no , i think they have missed something. my main thing is dizziness and light headed feeling, so wondering if blood tests would pick up something that affects that. omg, so sick of HA! ARRGHHH!

Stormsky
18-02-12, 12:15
You KNOW the dizziness and light headed feeling is from all the unburnt adrenaline and anx you are having!! i used to get it all the time.... its not anything else!!!
the change in diet will help with that, eat small portions and often...something every 3 hours... and exercise brings good adrenaline to the body...

miss sparkle
18-02-12, 13:52
lol. Thankyou. need someone to give me a good slap round the face to sort myself out! lol.xxx

pearl79
18-02-12, 14:05
lol. Thankyou. need someone to give me a good slap round the face to sort myself out! lol.xxx
my family always tell me that in a firm loving way of course:D xx

macc noodle
18-02-12, 14:18
i recently had full bloods to try and calm my HA but my doctor said ll my results were fine but when i asked if it would show if i hd cancer or not he said no... so now i think what was the point.....

Depends what tests they did - if you had a FBC and the test for signs of infection/inflammation, then if the readings were not normal they would test further or re-test.

The fact that your levels were fine indicates no likelihood of any nasties lurking inside!!

Depending on where you thought you had cancer of course would depend on what tests they then did.

I would just accept that your bloods are normal and that you are "just" suffering from anxiety.

:hugs: