PDA

View Full Version : Therapy could cut govt. benefits bill

clickaway
20-06-06, 17:43
Did anyone see the article on the BBC news last night about a London School of Economics Report that said that if there was adequate funding for therapy on the NHS, it would more than pay for itself as we could get better and return to work. As a result, we would no longer be reliant on benefits and the government would receive more tax too.

The cost of lost tax and paying us benefit is far more than the cost of therapy!

Two NHS pilot projects are underway to target CBT for those unable to work.

It was good to see depression and anxiety featured on prime time news. I imagine people are more aware of depression than of anxiety, and I thought it was unfortunate that the BBC illustrated a sufferer by showing a guy sipping a beer in a pavement bar.

It's a pity they didn't illustrate the pain we go through, and remind people that many of us cannot always enjoy a drink at the pub!

Anyway, let's hope this plan comes about.

The story is also on the BBC website http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5093694.stm

Ray
http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Karen
20-06-06, 18:21
I saw that on the website last night and it is good that it is being considered. There are not enough resources to provide the help that people need when they need it.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Anyway, let's hope this plan comes about.
<div align="right">Originally posted by clickaway - 20 June 2006 : 17:43:56</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
I'd like to think so but even if the Government considers it, I expect it will be some time before we see any changes. The fact is that there is not the money put into therapeutic treatments for mental health problems. I am seeing this first hand at the clinic where people are not getting the help they need because the local PCT is short of money already this year.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

Piglet
20-06-06, 18:54
Very very interesting - as stress related illness is ever on the increase it's about time it was given more importance.

Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

suzy1984
20-06-06, 19:07
Thanks for that Ray, I caught the end of the report and wasn't quite sure what it was about. Its good to see some of the issues we face being looked at, lets hope its just not all talk and something finally gets done about the horrendous waiting lists for CBT.

Suzy
xx :)

marie ross
20-06-06, 22:05
Thanks Ray,

Lets hope that something happens very soon, the waiting lists for CBT are never ending, if it was'nt for this forum and everyones kind words i would probably be totally house bound and thinking i was going insane.

Take care.

Marie XXX