PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram, St. Johns wart or 5 HTP?

shsm
18-02-12, 11:52
Hey guys im at a stage where I think I need meds to beat HA. I've tried citalopram before however I found it made me like a zombie. I am considering natural ways to boost my serotonin levels and would be greatful if anyone could tell me if they've used either st.johns wart or 5 HTP and if they noticed an improvement in their anxiety levels?

Many thanks in advance...

xtremx
18-02-12, 14:31
Hi shsm, I used st wort for about 10 months with great effect was taking 300mg 3 times aday but found after after about 6 months months seemed to stop working and someone told me to only take 300mg twice aday and it started to work again.

Was also going to take 5htp as well but was put off as i thing it needs more research.

Ingenious
18-02-12, 23:01
I've tried all three. 5HTP had no effect on me at all. St John's Wort had some effect but it was very hard to pin down. I also found it hard to have confidence that I would be able to get consistent dosage especially across brands. Citalopram hit me like a steam train and had a significant effect although in the end was not for me and I changed to Mirtazapine.

My experiences with trying natural remedies is really it is so hard to self medicate and I do wonder if while we are doing that we risk getting worse. I think it is also a mistake to assume we need to boost a certain chemical be that serotonin or any other, because anxiety and other mental health issues can have so many other root causes.

My advice personally is to see your GP and explain you feel you need more help, possibly medication, but are worried because last time you felt so rough. They will then hopefully either suggest non-medication solutions (counselling, CBT etc) or an alternative to Citalopram.

On the natural remedy side I would also suggest rather than looking to self medicate, look at things like exercise and general diet. Both of those can have big effects on our wellbeing.

neroo
18-02-12, 23:05
On the natural remedy side I would also suggest rather than looking to self medicate, look at things like exercise and general diet. Both of those can have big effects on our wellbeing.

Even with the label natural remedy they can still cause problems if used wrongly
While exercise will only ever be a positive, Its hard to get the get up and go but of all the drugs and talking cure i've found exercise the most powerful of mood changers

Ingenious
18-02-12, 23:22
I totally agree neroo, exercise can have an amazing effect. But as you say the issue is when you're down/low it can be SO hard to get started and motivated. One of life's most annoying catch22s!

neroo
18-02-12, 23:27
One of life's most annoying catch22s!

Couldn't have put it better myself catch22, I'm going to force myself to go to the gym as i know its the fastest way out of this black hole