PDA

View Full Version : can anyone try and explain this to me

tricia56
18-02-12, 12:17
hi this might sound such a silly question to ask any one ,but in not very good at what words means and im trying to stop thinking about my anxiety all the time as thats all all i do even when im trying to distracted my self and i know im keeping my anxiety going because of it amd ive been trying to do the self help tips on how to stop worring , but im struggling with the questions they say to ask your self and to right the answers down as this will help but i cant seem to understand them so i thought maybe some one can give me help on understanding them help me do it , i have copied the questions
Challenging intolerance of uncertainty: The key to anxiety relief

Ask yourself the following questions and write down your responses. See if you can come to an understanding of the disadvantages and problems of being intolerant of uncertainty.

Is it possible to be certain about everything in life?
What are the advantages of requiring certainty, versus the disadvantages? Or, how is needing certainty in life helpful and unhelpful?
Do you tend to predict bad things will happen just because they are uncertain? Is this a reasonable thing to do? What is the likelihood of positive or neutral outcomes?
Is it possible to live with the small chance that something negative may happen, given its likelihood is very low? i know this might seem stupid to u to ask for this help but i do struggle thk u

theharvestmouse
18-02-12, 12:25
So if you think its possible to be certain about everything in life, the pros would be that you know whats coming, and you have no surprises. THe cons would be that you foresee the bad things that will happen in the future.

Requiring certainty will mean you are not equipped to deal with unforeseen circumstance. However you may deal better with other things as you prepare to deal with things you know will happen. A balance of the two is more helpful.

If you predict bad things will happen because they are uncertain is an unrealistic thing to do as something uncertain is not always a negative. You can't predict everything in life so you can place positive and negatives on uncertainty.

It's possible to live with the small chance something negative will happen, for instance many people live near volcanos that have little chance of ever erupting, so they live knowing that it could erupt but its unlikely.

Thats my tuppence.

tricia56
18-02-12, 13:06
thk you harvestmoon maybe i can put things in to perspective now so thk u