PDA

View Full Version : Arghhhhhh, need to have a rant

Little elfin
18-02-12, 12:41
Hi everyone,
I'm a newbie on here, never posted on forums before! I've suffered anxiety since I was 17, I'm now 29.

Having one of those weeks (maybe 2 weeks) where everything is soooo scary and the anxiety is making me feel sick are grrrrrrrr. Can't stop obsessing about how I feel. I hate it when anxiety makes you question everything - 'Maybe it's my job' 'Maybe it's my husband' it sends me into a tail spin of more anxiety.

If only I could turn my thoughts off.

I've been having CBT for a few months now, sometimes it really help and after other sessions I feel crap and scared about going back, scared of telling someone how I feel - then I end up having a constant conversation in my head with my T about how I feel.

Arghhhhhhh. Anyone any advice on how to get out of my head? I'm driving myself mad!

L.E
xxx

Ingenious
18-02-12, 23:09
The best thing I have ever done with regards to challenging those annoying streams of thoughts that can cripple us, is something called Mindful Meditation. For me this went so far above and beyond CBT and despite what it sounds like, is not about relaxing or chanting or such things. It is about gently showing yourself how your thoughts arise and how they work, once you see the process suddenly you get so much more freedom to escape from them. So many people won't even consider mindful meditation because they think their minds are too active and they would never "switch off" but ironically they would benefit the most, it's all about seeing that your mind doesn't switch off (hard to explain really unless you try it). I recommend Mindfulness by Mark Williams and Danny Penman, a book with a CD to guide you through the meditation, less than a tenner on Amazon.

cattttt
19-02-12, 08:16
I so agree with Ingenuous, better still, join a group. I can't begin to describe the benefits of meditation. After a while, all those scary thoughts will pack their bags and leave when you tell them to.

expecto patronum
20-02-12, 18:45
Hi, I would also like to recommend the Mindfulness thing. I have found it and also Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) really good. ACT teaches you to bring mindfulness/acceptance principals to your anxious thoughts while not allowing your anxious thoughts to dictate your actions. Try 'The Mindfullnes and Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety'- Amazon have the 'look inside' function so you can see the first couple of chapters before you buy.
Btw you sound a lot like me; I clicked on your post because I've also had GAD from around 17/18 and I'm now 30. I really can't recommend the ACT book enough, it has massively helped me, although I've had a bit of a setback because of being made redundant and then starting a new job.

swgrl09
22-02-12, 12:45
Mindfulness Meditation can be great. it takes a lot of practice, but when done in combination with other therapies, can help a lot.

I also recommend IFS therapy (Internal Family Systems) for anybody who feels at an impasse with their anxiety. When described (you talk to the different "parts" of your mind, including the anxious part, etc and then work on healing those parts) it sounds wacky but unbelievably it works.

Also expecto patronum - i love your username!!

Pipkin
22-02-12, 15:00
Hi Elfin,

I also have long conversations with myself in my head. I could say that they're my most sensible conversations of the day because I agree with everything being said!

I have found that I control them and make them quite productive. Instead of trying to stop these thoughts altogether, I focus on some things I want to work out and try to think them through. I often play devil's advocate to try and talk some sense into myself. You know the times when you know you're being irrational but can't seem to stop thinking you have a serious problem. It sometimes helps me to act as if someone else had these problems and to ask myself how I would advise them if they came to me for an answer.

Hope you're feeling ok.

Take care

Pip x