PDA

View Full Version : THYROID

ems73
18-02-12, 16:04
Hi, just wondering if many people on here also have problems with their thyroid. I've been taking medication for an underactive thyroid for at least 15 years now and I wonder sometimes if it's affecting me in other areas and contributing to the anxiety/depression.
I'm seeing a counsellor now and she said she sees LOADS of people who also have thyroid problems. Apparently it can cause absolute havoc.
One lady had hers removed and apparently it was amazing how much better she felt.
I had a test again yesterday so just waiting for the results.

LAURA48
18-02-12, 16:49
Hi Ems - glad to see you had some bloods done - they change all the time. A couple of years ago mine were on the cusp but they didn't do treatment - had them done again in Nov but nurse said fine - I did not get to see paper results. You can always ask for a copy (at a small fee) so you can see what is happening but totally agree it can make you fee very poorly - especially anxiety and depression - have u lost/gained weight, your age can play an important factor too! It can run in families - I know my brother had an overactive thyroid a few years back - and he's no wimp but gosh he said he felt so ill - in one way it would be good if they came back with you needing treating but not on the other hand - I'm sure you know what I mean. Good Luck - they should be back by thurs anyway. Take care Laura x

keta
18-02-12, 16:53
Hi Ems
I have enlarged thyroid but my blood tests are always fine, my kind of aunt had some nodules on her thyroid and had the whole thing cut out and has been feeling much better ever since, but i'm not sure if she ever suffered with depression as such, well i do so it would be interesting to see what other people say

ems73
19-02-12, 18:22
Thanks Laura and Keta and yes I'm definitely going to ask for the results this time, I'm going to ask to be referred to an endocrinologist. Have been looking into adrenal fatigue as well and it's ringing so true to me. I twould be WONDERFUL if this was all down to a physical reason, god I'd have that operation so quick!

Blade
20-02-12, 11:12
Hi
I often wonder if my probs are connected to my under active thyroid , seems too much of a coincidence that my probs started a few years after i was put on thyroxine !