PDA

View Full Version : Kidney/Water Infection

Trish
18-02-12, 17:14
OMG I have never been so wiped out by any other infection. It started Thursday and I was prescribed Trimethoprim which I have been taking. In the early hours of this morning I felt so ill that my daughter took me to the 'out of hours' doctor who said that maybe I needed a different antibiotic and prescribed Erythromycin.

My question is has anyone had such a bad water/kidney infection and if so how long does it last, did you have aches and pains everywhere?...I feel like I've been beaten up!

I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has suffered badly with this.

Thanks

Trish

LAURA48
18-02-12, 17:24
Hi Trish - so sorry regarding your water infection - if you can get on the correct antibiotic (sensitive to the culture found in your urine) you are on winning streak and will soon pick up. Obviously the first antibiotic was not the right one and they probably gave you this until your results came back hopefully this one will work - see how you get on - don't be afraid to hand another urine sample in (in a few days) - drink lots of water and take some paracetamol - you will soon start feeling better. Laura x

---------- Post added at 17:24 ---------- Previous post was at 17:22 ----------

UTIs can certainly make you feel like crap and wash you out but keep taking the tabs:)

pearl79
18-02-12, 17:34
my last uti was in October.. I was weein blood clots I was in agony but from the start of the infection to when I didst notice the symptoms any more was about a week.. the anti biotics I had was the same as yours but was changed once I had the cultures back. they was e coli. but those antibios made me ill I had a runny tummy so I couldn't leave the house I lost all appetite and lost 8lb xxxx hope you feel better soon my live xxxx

cheryl foster
18-02-12, 17:37
hi trish!! i just got over one last week...i was given the same medication..i took it for 3 days then the pain stopped.. everytime i peed..my kidney was in pain. i thought i had kidney failure at first because it hurt so much.. but all turned out ok. youll be fine.:hugs:

Trish
18-02-12, 17:44
Thank you both:)
I'm not in any pain when I go to the loo, it doesn't sting etc. My sample was dipsticked by the first dr and she said "my goodness, I've never seen one glow like that before" and went on to say that it showed blood, protein etc which really freaked me out!

My temp is up and down massively, and I just want it to clear up so I can feel normal again:huh:

Trish x

nicola1980
18-02-12, 18:48
Water infections are nasty they make you feel so poorly, i had a kidney infection in sept and i was hallucinating and all sorts, i honestly felt like death but once you get the right antibiotics you will soon pick up, take regular paracetamol and lots of rest, hope you feel better soon x x

crystal17
18-02-12, 19:07
Hello Trish, I had a kidney infection when I was 21 (11 years ago) and it was one of the most horrible times! Yes you really do feel like you've been beaten up and battered everywhere. I couldnt get out of bed for a good few days, and I was unwell for about 3 weeks. It took about 6 weeks before I felt like myself again. I had excruciating backache and ached everywhere actually. I felt depressed and down and weak.

You will get better though, the antibiotics will do their job and you will recover, but give yourself plenty of time and rest as much as poss.

K1rsty
18-02-12, 19:30
Hi Trish, Sorry you are unwell. Yes as others have said they can really wipe you out. My mum went through a period of having quite a few - and they made her feel terrible. Worse than really bad flu. Rest up, take antibiotics as prescribed and finish the course even when you start to feel better, drink plenty of water to flush your system and espcially if you are having a temp. If you are able drink it cranberry juice may help too.
Best wishes and get well soon xx

Trish
18-02-12, 19:48
Thank you all so much for you're replies, it's stopped me from googling!

@ Nicola, I was hallucinating this morning according to my hubby and daughter, which they found quite amusing:winks:

Thanks again

Trish x

hyg
18-02-12, 20:54
Hi Trish
Ive suffered with UTIS for over 20 years and yes they can make you feel very ill.
Even when you ve finished the antibiotics you may still feel tired and run down for a week or so after.
I dont know why medics still give out trimethoprim as most e coli is now resistant to it !
Anyhow sounds like your getting better now, but from the replies you ve recieved you can see how common it is !!
Take care x:flowers:

saro
19-02-12, 12:39
I had this just before christmas (twice) and it got to the point where I couldnt walk I was in that much pain. It lasted for about a week and a half the first time and then the second time it was a few days. Just rest and sleep as much as you can. I took paracetmol to ease the pain, but thats all that I could take due to medication.

Get well soon x

Trish
19-02-12, 13:48
Today I feel 75% better most of the aches and pains have gone but I'm still left with pain in my lower back. I have been able to get in the shower for the first time since Wednesday morning (I know it's gross, isn't it:blush:) and I feel as though I have ran a marathon, so I'm back in a nice clean bed...it's a wonder that the bedding didn't walk to the washing machine by it's self, with all the sweating I've done:blush:!!

Onwards and upwards as they say, thank goodness for family, I can't imagine going through this if I lived alone:huh:

Thanks again for your replies, it really has helped:)

Trish x

nicola1980
19-02-12, 15:09
Glad your feeling a bit better after my kidney infection my back ached for a few weeks after x x

Trish
19-02-12, 18:05
Oh my Nicola I hope it won't go on that long:ohmy: It's quite painful and paracetamol doesn't seem to touch it:huh: I can't take Ibuprofen either:nonono:

Trish x

K1rsty
19-02-12, 18:08
Glad you are feeling better Trish - just take it easy still xx

nicola1980
19-02-12, 18:08
have you tried codeine? xx

saro
20-02-12, 07:31
Good to hear u are feeling better :)