PDA

View Full Version : hi

juzaza
18-02-12, 17:53
Thought I would try and sort myself out for once. Basically I am a 18 year old student who is somewhat of a perfectionist in mostly everything I do- including my training as a middle distance runner. I have never dealt with pressure very well and my family know very well that at particularly stressfull times in the school year or race season I can become very 'emotional' and 'fragile'.
I could cope with being like this up until a few years ago as I just accepted that that was who I was, but since starting A levels I have started to have panic attacks at school and at training for running. My 'episodes' are very distressing and I am finding that they are stopping me from enjoying the things I do (run). The worst part is that they are become more frequent and have started to happen at the most unpredictable of times (I have had two in the last four days).
I feel very alone with what is going on with me as I don't know many people well enough at 6th Form to let them in (as I find it embarrassing). Just thought it would be nice to talk to other people with similar issues to my own. :)

nomorepanic
18-02-12, 17:55
Hi juzaza

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

oneofus
18-02-12, 18:08
Hi juzaza,

I'm sure you'll find many of your ilk, at least one rower iirc; not me though I stick to the rower in the gym. Have you thought about chatting to your doctor, they're always willing to listen and there's no reason not to. Otherwise have a look at some of the self help books on perfectionism, and they're not just Paul Mkenna I can make you rich waste of a paperback.

Just to let you blow your own trumpet what distance and times do run.

One of us

juzaza
18-02-12, 18:29
I have been to see my Doctor and she referred me to a well-being practitioner for some cognitive behavioural therapy, which was kind of useful. It's just it was quite basic and patronising as I know what I should be thinking I just have know idea how to challenge these negative thoughts prior to a panic attack. But this practitioner has referred me on to someone different now so things may improve soon.

Paul Mckenna has a halarious voice when he hypnotises people, how anyone can not get the giggles in the middle of his sessions I will never know! :roflmao:
Oh, and I do cross-country (around 6km in 25ish minutes) and 1500m on track (my best is 4:52 mins) It was nice of you to ask :D

holli
18-02-12, 18:56
OMG I've just bought a paul mckenna CD well it may be worth a laugh. Had a miserable day today felt the panic rising on more than one occasion but tried to keep breathing slowly and distracted myself. Felt pretty awful afterwards, I know this will pass not great for a Saturday Night

juzaza
18-02-12, 19:13
Just try and get past the amusing voice and I'm sure you will reap the benefits :) I hope it will cheer you up, it sounds as if you have had an awfull day...

oneofus
18-02-12, 20:41
I have been to see my Doctor and she referred me to a well-being practitioner for some cognitive behavioural therapy, which was kind of useful. It's just it was quite basic and patronising as I know what I should be thinking I just have know idea how to challenge these negative thoughts prior to a panic attack. But this practitioner has referred me on to someone different now so things may improve soon.

Paul Mckenna has a halarious voice when he hypnotises people, how anyone can not get the giggles in the middle of his sessions I will never know! :roflmao:
Oh, and I do cross-country (around 6km in 25ish minutes) and 1500m on track (my best is 4:52 mins) It was nice of you to ask :D

Heh! I thought we were talking perfectionism. I always think bigger is better, I'm a man after all, my best 1500 was way higher; 6 min 30. Great to see you've been to see your doctor. Agree those negative thoughts are difficult little devils to fix. So good luck with the next referral.

One of us