PDA

View Full Version : hi, can anyone help?

Tessie28
05-05-04, 16:20
my name is teresa and my typing is poor at present because i have fractured my wrist. which is where the tale starts. i am a teacher recently diagnosed with high blood pressure. so 10 days ago i started taking beta blockers - these made me sleepy [|)]in the mornings. then on friday i fell off a chair at school [:o)] the effect was a nasty fracture to my wrist. i then had trouble with the general anaestetic and they had to bring me round and do it by block instead. the experience has left me with panic attacks - first time . i am having a bad time and want to know if this is a common thing to happen after such an experience? my doctor thinks i will be much better after friday when i have the thing checked- possibilty of pining which he and i think is behind the attacks. i am at the point where i have had a normal [but fast] ecg and nearly believe that this will go away.
any ideas would be welcome as none of this is helping the blood pressure.
cheers teresa

Meg
05-05-04, 16:39
Hi Teresa,

Welcome to the site.

The most likely explantation for your PA's is that of a trauma reaction probably on top of a build up of stress over time, leading to high blood pressure but culminating in panic attacks after the shock of the last couple of weeks events .

Once the fracture is settled - you ensure that you take enough time off to heal both body and soul. Treat yourself to a full body aromatherapy massage which will help this process enormously.

Do not feel afraid of the panics attacks - for you they are simply a emotion overload release mechanism which will go as you settle down in yourself. Do not start continually fearing having another one and get into a fear of the fear cycle.

Do read First Steps in the introduction section of this forum.

Whilst you're off you may find your BP will come down naturally enough to come off meds anyway and with some practice at meditation et al you may be able to get keep off them.

What happened with your General Anaethetic ? It is remotely possible that this is chemical induced.

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

Tessie28
05-05-04, 17:14
hi meg,

all i know is that they wanted to put a tube down because of the trauma they thought i needed it. they couldn't get in in and then brought me round. however, i heard a lot of what they were saying [even writing about it freaks me out]. i know i probably overreacted [sp] but i wouldn't let them try again and so had the block. it reminds me of bad feelings i had after an op before where i had trouble going off to sleep afterwards for weeks [kept shaking myself awake]. also i have a fear of flying and some of these feelings remind me of that [i get clammy, heart races, have diahorea [sp] during flights]. only then you know when you hear 'cabin crew, doors to manual' that it is over:)

is this bad tummy business [wind, runs not wanting to eat] all part of it?

thanks for your reply,
teresa
ps i just had walk around the block with my husband :)

Tessie28
05-05-04, 17:29
me again,

sorry meg i just read your first steps so the tummy question is answered,
cheers,
teresa

victoria
05-05-04, 19:14
Hi theresa

I am so sorry to hear of your ordeal i really understand how your feeling i had a operation last week and was so scared as i had a reaction to the drugs and it made me feel scared and shaky. I hope your pa's fade away but if they don't you will get so much help from this website from all the stories and these forums, I am a new member and it has really helped me, I have not managed to get on a plane though as my tummy is so bad and my heart racing but i will get there one day. I really hope all of this will help and if you need anymore advise please let us all know.

Victoria x

Meg
05-05-04, 19:16
Great - so even a chemical thing is ruled out ..

You'd need a tube down for GA anyway- perhaps it was a difficult intubation so they brought oyu round and did it by block instead. Thats fine. You clearly were not fully 'under' at the time, just sedated.

Yes , they're all anxiety symptoms !

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

nomorepanic
05-05-04, 20:40
Hi Tess

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your wrist.

You say that you have high blood pressure - well I do too and I am on medication for it. Just wondered if you were taking anything for it?

Nicola