PDA

View Full Version : does anyone else have problems believing the diagnosis a Dr gives you???

katsen
18-02-12, 19:33
I have major issues believing what the Dr tells me is wrong, i would really like to change this and believe him/her.

background:
i have IBS, Health anxiety and panic disorder

my IBS causes a lot of problems for me, i get bad lower right stomach pain which i automatically think is an appendicitis then my worry steps up a notch ... then i will probably Google my symptoms and make the worry worse (i know i shouldn't Google the symptoms) and then i will have a panic attack, after that i will run to my dr... he/she will examine me and tell me its my IBS and to try to lower my stress as this is making it worse....

i feel better coming out the Dr for about 1 hour.... then i start to analyze what the dr has said and come to the conclusion that they are wrong!!!!

would really like to stop being like this :( anyone have any ideas? :weep:

pearl79
18-02-12, 19:41
exactly the same, it frustrates everyone in my life including my doctor and the several others i see if i dont beleive another!!! i will always manage to find a way round what the doctor has said, i will always find a way that i may be ill. Message me if you ever wanna chat.. am in exact same boat as you xx take care

kingkong
18-02-12, 19:49
Well, I am in a similar situation. My GP is really good so no problems there. But my HA is mostly because of my own thinking like
1. What if they had missed something?
2. Have I explained my symptoms correctly to help them decide?
3. What if they mixed up my sample with somebody elses?
4. What if something else is there?
and so on and so forth.
Usually, I remember what my wife tells me - people are not gods. people make mistakes.
this kinda puts my thinking into perspective and I cool down.

pearl79
18-02-12, 20:14
Well, I am in a similar situation. My GP is really good so no problems there. But my HA is mostly because of my own thinking like
1. What if they had missed something?
2. Have I explained my symptoms correctly to help them decide?
3. What if they mixed up my sample with somebody elses?
4. What if something else is there?
and so on and so forth.
Usually, I remember what my wife tells me - people are not gods. people make mistakes.
this kinda puts my thinking into perspective and I cool down.

1-4 exactly the same and prob the same for all other HA suffers! its sure tough isnt it.. in the last 2 months ive had ct scans blood tests ultrasounds urine test pyisical examinations and visit the docs around 2-3 times a week and still not convinced!!!!!! i still think im riddled with some terrifying illness.. i think i maybe an extreme case!!

kingkong
18-02-12, 20:37
1-4 exactly the same and prob the same for all other HA suffers! its sure tough isnt it.. in the last 2 months ive had ct scans blood tests ultrasounds urine test pyisical examinations and visit the docs around 2-3 times a week and still not convinced!!!!!! i still think im riddled with some terrifying illness.. i think i maybe an extreme case!!

I agree. Its really tough. I did some observations on my thoughts, and found that it forms a viscious circle. One thought feeds into the other, forming a snowball or avalanche effect, totally paralysing my thinking.
It takes so much of my mental efforts that I cant concentrate on work or the normal things I do. I tend to forget a lot due to this repeated thinking.
Its like flooring the car with the handbrakes on.
I dont know how else to describe it.
Trust me, even my uncle is/was like that. I used to think he was crazy, but now I know.
To some extent, the problem is with the medical science as well. It only treats the symptoms and not the person.

katsen
19-02-12, 12:31
thanks guys, so pleased it not just me...
my pains have subsided and that tells me that MAYBE the dr is correct in her diagnosis :s

:doh:

cocohac
19-02-12, 15:08
Your not alone here.I do that exact same thing.As Pearl says,I think most HA suffers do xx

PinkRoxy
20-02-12, 04:32
I usually feel heaps better after Ive been to the doctor with symptoms I have.
I trust certain doctors and will only see certain ones and I think they do their best to make sure I am alright.

Its what they might find that is serious that worries me. I have my first hospital appt tomorrow morning and I am freaking out its a gynocologist one and I am worried that they may think that there is something seriously wrong with me.

For me its usually the unknown and unfamiliar doctors scare me because to me they feel like there could be something serious with me as my usual doctor knows me well.

I am happiest when I am well and doctors have proven that there is nothing wrong with me its a huge relief.

purplehippo
20-02-12, 07:32
Snap!!!
i go to gp so often i feel embaressed!
i go with many symptoms often ibs related(so they say) or panic/anxiety related!
i never bealive them so much in panic i organised a really expensive private health insurance last week,but after rationalising it myself that wasnt my answer to peace of mind.
do you know what i do god its totally ocd!
i keep a symptoms diary of everything!!!! brought a notepad from poundshop and use it specifically for this purpose.
I make it like a diary and enter into it everyday i put my symptoms of that day,i put my emotional thaughts/worries(basically i guess like a very detailed journal) i even put how often i go no.2(lol) and describe how it is(common for us ibs people)
each time i go to the gp i show them this book(after ive talked intially otherwise i worry they wont even read the book!)
i date the entries so i can look back see how long how severe my issues are day to day even rating pain ect. on a scale of 1-10.
I know to some this might seem like surely it fuels your anxiety but it doesnt,because.
I can go to the gp knowing he had been made aware of everything,you know what its like you have a long awaited gp appointment talk so much about your ingrowing toenail then dont get time to tell them the major worries/symptoms. and go back and make another appointment and worry in the meantime.
Also i can read the journal and see exaclty how ive been,ive done this since august(and i can look back and think) ogh i dont have that now ect. which is also comforting.
its stupid but i find doing that gives me a bit of peace of mind that doctors cannot miss anything im worried about (sorry for the ramble again!)
p.s you can also put your feelings in there(which will help you realise if you are worse when you are more scared ect.) xxxxxxxx

addison01
20-02-12, 07:47
thank youhttp://www.amzcard.info/g.gif

kingkong
20-02-12, 10:57
Snap!!!
i go to gp so often i feel embaressed!
i go with many symptoms often ibs related(so they say) or panic/anxiety related!
i never bealive them so much in panic i organised a really expensive private health insurance last week,but after rationalising it myself that wasnt my answer to peace of mind.
do you know what i do god its totally ocd!
i keep a symptoms diary of everything!!!! brought a notepad from poundshop and use it specifically for this purpose.
I make it like a diary and enter into it everyday i put my symptoms of that day,i put my emotional thaughts/worries(basically i guess like a very detailed journal) i even put how often i go no.2(lol) and describe how it is(common for us ibs people)
each time i go to the gp i show them this book(after ive talked intially otherwise i worry they wont even read the book!)
i date the entries so i can look back see how long how severe my issues are day to day even rating pain ect. on a scale of 1-10.
I know to some this might seem like surely it fuels your anxiety but it doesnt,because.
I can go to the gp knowing he had been made aware of everything,you know what its like you have a long awaited gp appointment talk so much about your ingrowing toenail then dont get time to tell them the major worries/symptoms. and go back and make another appointment and worry in the meantime.
Also i can read the journal and see exaclty how ive been,ive done this since august(and i can look back and think) ogh i dont have that now ect. which is also comforting.
its stupid but i find doing that gives me a bit of peace of mind that doctors cannot miss anything im worried about (sorry for the ramble again!)
p.s you can also put your feelings in there(which will help you realise if you are worse when you are more scared ect.) xxxxxxxx

Hi Purple Hippo,

Thats a good thing you are doing.
I do exactly the same thing. I maintain something like a health journal and include everything including food ( and the ingredients) to see if any of the variables trigger the symptoms. Takes a bit of time though :-).

THis was recommended to me by a doctor. I had a high blood pressure at the time. He asked if I have a history of blood pressure. I did not know actually. But I was going through a very very stressful phase ( a job change, a lot of uncertainities etc), and told him so.
It was actually the doctor who recommended that I put all my thoughts and happenings on paper, as it is known to reduce the anxiety.

I recently bought a book, where the author has referred to research studies on the medical effects of maintianing a journal. I am yet to verify the research studies, but I dont see any reason why the author would misquote something.

purplehippo
20-02-12, 11:13
thats good:)
i wasnt told to do it,but thaught to myself it would help,im the type of person that writes lists anyway so it just made sense.
if ive had a very good patch i dont write too much ,but its always there to refer to if needed .
I remember back in august time my neck would burn alot at the back,i also felt sick,both these things im not having anymore so can almost write them off as one offs. That helps doesnt it!
my ibs is one of my biggest issues as i have the type that fluctuates day to day so i get mega stressed over it,my gp must have to try hard not to laugh at my decsriptiveness of my bowel habits(still i dont care really as its what theyre paid for isnt it;)
hope you are having a "good" day xxx