PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Therapies Keep You Calm and Relaxed

millions59
18-02-12, 23:00
I have suffered from severe depression most of my life. I feel like I'm back on track one minute, and then something unforeseen happens in life and I am back to square one. I have been to see psychologists and psychiatrists, but they seem to focus on what happened in the past, and what started it all off. This did not work for me, as I am better off not dwelling on the past and trying to move forward. This is why last year I accepted CBT, which my doctor recommended for me.

I would recommend it to anyone who has any kind of mental illness. Especially if you have found, like me, that nothing else has worked. My therapist taught me skills to get my life back on track. The past is touched on slightly to find out when and where things started to go horribly wrong. Once this is determined there is no going back. My problem is that I am a very active person, mentally and physically. I have to be doing something all the time. Even if it's just reading a book. If I haven't got anything to do, I get tired, and I just want to sleep. You have to build yourself a timetable and try to keep to it. When I was younger I did a lot of things, and I had more friends too. Since starting full time work I never seemed to have time to do the things I enjoy. That's when things went down hill. It was all eat, work and sleep.

I am now self employed, but a few years ago I once again tried to work for someone else, but ended up going through another bad spell. I like being on my own, even though I can be a team member, but as long as I can get on with my part of the job in peace. I have been self employed since 1997, and tried a week end job, but as I said above it didn't work out. I am again working for myself, and managing to build my clients. I am at last happy, but I need more money to pay the bills which is depressing me at the moment. I am trying to focus on the things I learned in CBT, and I am slowly getting there.

A few years ago I did a reflexology course with a friend. If you can afford a course I would definitely recommend it. I was so relaxed afterwards that I had to go to bed. Fortunately it was an evening course.

Another alternative therapy skill I learned was Reiki. Not many people are as familiar with this as others, but works just as well. This channels energy through the palm chakras and helps to heal or just give an all body MOT. It's great! The feeling you get inside when someone treats you is weird at first, especially if you are as skeptical as I was at first. Then you start realizing that something is happening. Also well worth trying.

I have two books if people are interested. One is about SAD (Social anxiety/fear Disorder) and the other is on Reiki, an E-booK.

The links to these products are:

SAD (http://www.socialfearcure.com)
Reiki (http://cindys-ebooks.webplusshop.com/product.wml/productid/298956/Reiki-Retreat.htm) :yesyes:

neroo
18-02-12, 23:34
Reiki isn't that just the placebo effect in action, does it matter to you

eight days a week
18-02-12, 23:47
Reiki isn't that just the placebo effect in action, does it matter to you

I've never had it myself, but my mum did when she was dying of cancer. She would be sick all week, very uptight, unhappy and distressed, but she would go and have her reiki session and come back absolutely glowing, as healthy-looking as you can ever see a person, and beaming with happiness.

I can't wait to try it out for myself one day when I have some money.