PDA

View Full Version : Remote control gone white?

phil06
19-02-12, 01:32
My remote control has gone white and I read this link:

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-clean-out-corroded-batteries/

Now it says its been harmful to humans so like this remote has sat on my bed all night could some acid get near me?

nomorepanic
19-02-12, 01:35
what do u mean it has gone white?

you are really having issues here with things phil and need to get some help with it

phil06
19-02-12, 01:39
It's gone white at the back where the battery is I think it's acid and I googled and its dangerous.

nomorepanic
19-02-12, 01:41
well don't use it then and take the batteries out and clean it and get new ones - sorted

phil06
19-02-12, 01:42
well don't use it then and take the batteries out and clean it and get new ones - sorted

Yes I'm worried about it as it has sat on my bed and some could get into the covers or mattress and burn me..can't see any on it but the worry remains.

nomorepanic
19-02-12, 01:44
no it wont

nomorepanic
19-02-12, 01:45
You still need some help though as we get this all the time with you

phil06
19-02-12, 02:03
My worry is here:

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj542/phil8810/IMG_2095.jpg

The remote

neroo
19-02-12, 02:05
Unless the acid from the battery is still leaking you should be o.k

nomorepanic
19-02-12, 02:08
there is nothing wrong with it phil

phil06
19-02-12, 02:09
Well the remote has been removed from the room..just some anxiety about sleeping now incase some gets on me.

nomorepanic
19-02-12, 02:11
phil you are being silly now

If you are so worried then change the duvet cover but there is nothing to worry about

phil06
19-02-12, 02:15
phil you are being silly now

If you are so worried then change the duvet cover but there is nothing to worry about

I had changed it earlier in the night but this happened later. No idea how long its been leaking or where else it could have been but if i change it then im still worried the blanket to the mattress will be contaminated so no point really. I may have to suffer.

nomorepanic
19-02-12, 02:16
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Stop this Phil please

phil06
19-02-12, 02:20
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Stop this Phil please

It will be another worry tomorrow anyway.

nomorepanic
19-02-12, 02:24
only cos u make it a worry - so stop it

PinkRoxy
19-02-12, 02:28
Phil I wouldnt worry too much about it aye. I would just get it cleaned now and do it in open air such as outside or in a room with lots of doors and windows open.

If you are worried then just air out the room you were in with the remote.

I sort of felt the same way ages back when I decided to spray polish my shoes in my room and it stunk then I read the back saying to do it outside because it can be toxic if inhaled. I just calmly aired my room out and aired my lungs outside and just never did it again. I was fine nothing happened to me.

Unless you are feeling really unwell then I wouldnt worry about it :)

phil06
19-02-12, 02:41
Hmm ive not opened a window so im worried I could be smelling it?

Pipkin
19-02-12, 02:46
Phil,

You've posted on here for some advice so mine would be to listen to the previous posts. I really and truly don't think you have anything to worry about so try to step back, think logically and see that your thoughts are irrational and that it won't harm you.

We all have irrational worries and the key is to see them for what they are and not let them win.

Look after yourself

Pip

Wolfie
19-02-12, 09:44
Hey Phil, firstly I'm going to support you with this.

Secondly, you've been very naughty!! Lol, googling is not the way! Google isn't in any way, shape or form, qualified to deal with medical related questions. Also, it is nothing bit a facilitator in our anxieties, be it health, or something else. You wanted answers, quick, so you googled. Google is the crapest thing on earth and it gave you crap. This is something you have to work on Phil, I know it's hard, hell, I used to google every symptom under the sun! It's difficult, but you have have have to try your best to resist the temptation to google. I promise that if you keep resisting, you will find that you won't need it anymore.

Thirdly, I can relate to what you're talking about Phil, I used to get soooooo worried over battery acid. However, I think you will be more than fine hun, if you are still really really worried then please talk to your doctor, or if you can't wait, then call NHS 24. Like mentioned above, air your place out, change your duvet, wash your hands - you're gunna be fine hun.

As for the mention of being silly, etc - don't take it to heart - ALL of us have at one point been at a stage where anxiety is taking over us. Over time, we reach the stage where we have more control than the anxiety. It can be difficult to understand and relate to people who are at that 'beginning' stage if you're a bit further along. There are more than enough people here to help and support you, Phil.

lesleya
19-02-12, 11:54
Hope your feeling better phil health anxiety is an awful thing and very real to you...but am sure youll be fine.
Take care
xxx

macc noodle
19-02-12, 11:58
Hey Phil

Hope today is a better day for you

:hugs:

Macc Noodle
xx

phil06
19-02-12, 13:29
Well last night I left the window open, kept the same bedding as it never appeared to have any on it.

Still anxious today. My dad has examined the remote says the battery's don't look corroded and it just looks like a white on the remote..but no idea what else it could be..maybe they were corroded still?

Alot of uncertainty and anxiety still.

pearl79
19-02-12, 13:32
we are ll here to support your anxiety phil :)

phil06
19-02-12, 20:26
Well still no idea if it was a battery but I probably won't clean it and may just throw it out. New remote will cost a bit though.

I'm still fearing battery acid in the air, on bed ect..

mikewales
19-02-12, 20:32
Just clean it out, it will be fine, and put new batteries in, no point throwing it away, and you dont even know if it was acid. Was there any white stuff in the battery compartment, or was it just on the outside of the remote casing ?

K1rsty
19-02-12, 20:34
Hi Phil, Listen to your dad. I am sure if there was battery acid on it he would have sorted it out. xxx

phil06
19-02-12, 20:49
Just clean it out, it will be fine, and put new batteries in, no point throwing it away, and you dont even know if it was acid. Was there any white stuff in the battery compartment, or was it just on the outside of the remote casing ?

Just outside I think. Just annoying me as I can't think what else it could be.

flossie
19-02-12, 20:59
It doesn't matter now what it was. It's all sorted and you haven't come to any harm. You are fine and it's not a problem anymore.

lizzie29
19-02-12, 21:15
I recently found an electronic game I'd had as a kid. I was having a go on it, then put it on the table. Picking it up again I noticed it had left marks on the table, and when opening the battery compartment I found out the batteries had leaked. I then smelt my hands and discovered the battery acid must have leaked onto them, as they stank. I washed my hands, and that was it. No ill effects, no damage to my hands, nothing. I was absolutely fine. And I'm sure you will be too.

Abarth
19-02-12, 21:17
Het there Phil
You don't know me and I not you, however, trust me, the stuff that invariably seeps out of most cheap batteries really is not harmful in the way you fear. I know what it's like to be afraid of the unknown, but I have had batteries leak/corrode on all manner of electronic items and the kids toys. Usually, by the time you discover it, it is pretty inert anyway. Don't chuck the remote, it will be a total waste.
Its done now and you're fine.
Ant

mikewales
20-02-12, 09:16
If the white stuff was only on the outside, then it isnt battery acid. If the batteries had leaked the inside of the battery compartment would be covered in it, and normally the outsides of the batteries look corroded

phil06
24-10-13, 13:52
Hi I have this fear again a few weeks ago some battery acid leaked in the xbox controller the back battery panel I feared I never cleaned it right as I just removed it and swapped it over. Again today they have leaked again and it's into the small battery panel so I have left it and will clean it later. I'm worried the battery acid got near me.

I also sit the controller on a games so I'm worried all the covers are dirty now and it won't feel the same.

Anybody else have this worry? :shrug::blush:

emlica
24-10-13, 14:15
Phil, really - it's not going to do you any harm. The companies wouldn't be allowed to use it if it was as dangerous as you seem to think it is. Think about how many things have batteries in them!

My boyfriend opened the back of an old camera a while ago - there was white stuff in it and he wasn't sure what it was. He thought it might have been salt as we'd been near the sea when he last had it. I don't recommend this course of action, but he tasted some of the white stuff to see what it was. It wasn't salt - probably battery acid. That was 3 months ago and guess what? He's still here and he's completely fine. So the possible outside chance that you might have got some on your skin (which is designed not to let bad stuff in, by the way) still isn't going to hurt you!

Fishmanpa
24-10-13, 15:21
Phil,

There's no possible way (read again...NO POSSIBLE WAY) that's going to harm you. If you're still concerned, wash your sheets and your hands.

PS: Change your batteries more often ;)

Magic
24-10-13, 15:31
Same happened to me. I have a personal cd player, hadn't used it for a very long time. The batteries were caroded white stuff. took them out blew on the inside, put new batteries in it worked. never thought anything about it.
That reminds me I must have another look inside,as I have not used it since then.

Liviguy
24-10-13, 16:13
At work today I just pulled some batteries out a speaker thing. Corroded everywhere. Date on them was March 2003 lol.

Needless to say they are now binned as well as the speaker and I am not worried in the slightest about having any health issues.

Wombat Overlord
25-10-13, 11:00
If you had battery acid on you, you would definitely know it; aside from that I don't really see what the problem is

WorriedBloke
25-10-13, 12:33
I have had batteries leak a few times. I once only found out when I tasted a foul taste on my fingers. Looked down at a battery I had taken out of a device and it was covered in that white dried battery acid. It didn't even burn my mouth - just tasted awful! I have severe HA and I didn't worry about it at all and I'm still here! I have even got the wet battery acid on my hands in the past - it stung a tiny bit but that was all. You would need a lot of the acid - like sticking your hand into a cupful of the fresh stuff to do real damage and then only if you left it in there for a while. The worst you would get from batteries would be a possible red mark or a sore patch of skin.

Seriously - your battery situation can cause you no serious harm. Just clean the inside of the battery compartment out with a damp kitchen towel and clean off the back of the remote and put some fresh batteries in - you're going to be fine :)

Cags48
14-11-13, 14:00
I have had that happen lots of times I really don't think it is anything to worry about , I found an old toy of my daughters batteries had been in years and had really leaked I took them out and cleaned it and put new ones in low and behold it worked I gave it to the charity shop :) . Try not to worry Phil I know that's easy for me to say but it's just anxiety .