PDA

View Full Version : Gerd,acid reflux and mucus

mike_coventry_uk
19-02-12, 09:29
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone of the many sufferers of gerd or acid reflux get a constant production of mucus?

I have been on omeprazole for about a year but this recently doesn't seem to be controlling the mucus!

Its worse in the morning when I wake and ave to instantly throat clear but I get it all day on and off.

Docs don't seem to be concerned and just keep sending me away,I have fears that I may have esophagus cancer :(

Anyone who has had experiences of this any help would be great!

I have a doc appt tomorrow and may ask for a barium swallow test,I am very apprehensive about having a scope done!

Ohhhh and all my blood tests recently done were normal and my saliva was tested also with no abnormalities!

I just feel crappy all the time with the mucus and it gets me down :(

Thanks in advance for the replies......

Mike

springblossom
19-02-12, 09:38
Hi Mike,

Have you tried excluding any culprits from your diet? Wheat, Dairy?

Do you have any known allergies?

Is it GERD or Laryngopharyngeal reflux?

Some people develop symptoms of GERD when the problem is under-production of acid rather than over-production but the symptoms are the same.

pearl79
19-02-12, 09:41
hi Mike,
I take omerprazole when my acid is bad, normally when my anxiety is in full pelt, I always have constant mucus up the back of my throat almost up to the back of my nose, and most of the time i have a slight croaky voice, so have to clear my throat... doctor says its all my acid!! In really stressful times i get spasms in my chest due to acid. they are awful, thats when i know im really stressed. hope thats helped a bit xx

mike_coventry_uk
19-02-12, 09:43
I spoke to the doc and he felt it wasn't diet related!

I have got laryngopharyngeal reflux! Currently taking 40mg of omeprazole daily. Never had a scope in the 18 months of suffering :(

Only recently the mucus has been quite bad

---------- Post added at 09:43 ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 ----------

Pearl ave you ever had any tests?

springblossom
19-02-12, 09:44
Why did the GP think it wasn't diet-related?

I accept that LPR and GERD can be aggravated by anxiety/stress/tension but if your diet is stimulating acid production this will only serve to exacerbate the problem.

Have you tried removing alcohol, caffeine, chocolate, peppermint, onion/garlic and fried foods from the diet?

pearl79
19-02-12, 09:58
nope x just plenty of trips to the docs x

xtremx
19-02-12, 10:51
Hi mike, man I feel for you I get the same I am hacking up in the mornings I sound like a 40 a day smoker (I don't smoke) . Do you find if you look in the mirror in the morning that the back of you mouth has like white glue like phlegm stuck to it and no matter what you do you cannot shift it.

The only way to help with it all is to drink more water dilate the mucus also ask your doctor check you out for post nasal drip that can cause a build up of crap in you throat

speckles69uk
19-02-12, 11:01
I suffer from this too, I hate waking up in the morning with the white sticky mucus at the back of my throat. Constantly couhing it up, snorting and swallowing. It doesn't help my anxiety at all as I'm alo afraid it could be something more serious. My doc put me on lanzaprazole for a few months, then another one (can't remeber it's name) but they haven't done anything. Does anyone know how to get rid of it, as it's really bothering me?

mike_coventry_uk
19-02-12, 11:29
I do get a bit of white at the back of my throat! The omeprazole doesn't seem to work! I want a barium swallow as this will determine the extent of the acid problem ur docs seem reluctant! The med don't work as well as they used to! It's not post nasal drip as I had a referral to ent before and they did a nase endoscopy nothing there! Just hate living with it! Gets me down

lesleya
19-02-12, 11:30
All i can offer is sympathy hun ive had gerd for a couple of years now and it is unpleasant and i wish i could give you an answer to help but unfortunately i cant...but definitely mines worse when im feeling really stressed/anxious.
I find the only thing that helps me is cutting down portion size at meals times as i get as much mucus in the throat as i do after a big meal...little but often helps me...and i totally agree with the thinking stress/anxiety makes it worse, it certainly does.
Take care and hope you feel better...but be good to yourself
xxx