PDA

View Full Version : Bowel Blockage... Worrying AGAIN

chl_hobbs
19-02-12, 15:35
Hi all, Ive had a good week (for me). I was started on Pregabalin to take alongside my Escitalopram and it seems to be helping my anxiety quite a bit....Until today.

I was reading my book before bed as usual when suddenly a storyline developed where a boy almost dies after ADHESIONS from his previous intestinal surgery (a year previously) had blocked his bowel. It said 'after any abdominal surgery this can be quite common apparently'... and then i started feeling sick with worry. As you know, i had major abdominal surgery to mend my spleen after a routine day surgery went very wrong and i lost a lot of blood. Apparently during the life saving surgery, my surgeon had to look through my entire bowel because thats where they thought the bleeding was coming from, until he found it was my spleen the other surgeon had torn.

Im now worrying that i will get this. I know that i will bound to have adhesions, as after any surgery you can get them, and i am very sore and feel a lot of pulling etc day to day. But it's like im now living in fear of getting an adhesion that will block my bowel and will kill me. When i was in hospital two weeks ago there was a relatively young (in her 50s) woman who was DYING from this, as they couldnt save her, and i cant get her face out of my head.

Is this rare or will it happen and i have to wait?? Im only 28 and i dont think mentally i could cope if that happened to me after everything ive been through lately.

Sorry for the complicated post

Charlotte x

chl_hobbs
19-02-12, 21:22
wow- so many responses!lol!

nomorepanic
19-02-12, 22:56
I would have said it was very rare to be honest.

Not sure how else to reassure you - sorry