PDA

View Full Version : When to trust doctors? Heart worries

daisycake
19-02-12, 16:54
I've always been a worrier and have always worried over my health especially. When I was about seventeen I heard of someone who died to due to sudden adult death syndrome. Cue me panicking that I had it - especially since I have suffered palpitations since age eleven anyway, plus dizziness and an increase of symptoms during exercise/exertion.
I mentioned my symptoms to numerous GPs. First shrugged and said we all get palpitations sometimes. Second said similar. Third offered an ECG, which was done and came back normal. Had two attacks of palpitations that ran for about fifteen minutes, was sent to A&E by NHS 24 and had a normal ECG. Was given a further ECG in Oct 11 pre surgery, was normal. At none of these times though have any palpitations been recorderded, in fact apart from dizziness, I was fine during the first one. Second one, the palpitations had stopped and third one, I felt fine. I've had more ECGs when under surgery all of which have been normal.
My GP says I have to put faith in the tests I have had, and not to worry further however I know of people with similar issues who have had 24hr monitors etc. GP said in my case this wasn't necessary.
I'm not very sure when to actually believe the doctors, part of me feels like they have missed something (I actually get very worried over it to the part I struggle to lead a normal life) but I don't know whether to persist in asking about it. Don't know how to not worry about it, am on medication for anxiety but it seems to be having less of an effect as the worries (over this and other things) are just getting worse :(
What should I do next?

Joelle
19-02-12, 21:53
I am a worrier too and am convinced my heart problems are way worse than everyone else seems to think... hope I'm wrong, but somehow don't think so. You must just trust the Dr that they will do the right tests and if the results come back normal be thankful....It is very hard to do when our minds get going and anxiety sets in bad.
Be firm with your Dr if you want more tests and get them done...afterall we do know our bodies best as in them 24/7

Take care

daisycake
20-02-12, 20:24
Mentioned the palpitations to the GP today who just smiled and said it's probably anxiety. Then I go home and on the news is someone who's died of the very condition I'm worried about.. Not good, supposed to be going out tonight but think I will stay in.

---------- Post added at 20:24 ---------- Previous post was at 17:59 ----------

Can't relax, hate this :(

Rossi_uk
20-02-12, 20:36
Guessing you mean the rugby coaches son on the news? Best bet you can do is go to http://www.c-r-y.org.uk/ and book on to one of the screening tests :) it will defiantly put your mind at rest and get you back on track :).

Im booked in for the one at Hornsea on the 3rd of march which is an hour away from me but worth the drive for piece of mind. Hope you get sorted :) x

Danii
20-02-12, 23:37
I've had palpitations that would come on for hours at a time, every evening, for 3 months, my doctor still said its completely fine. So if you could count the episodes of them youve had on one hand, and I've had about 90 that last more than 3 hours...I think your okay! lol. I hope that helps? I also have dizzyness and have gone to many different doctors, all did ECGs and other tests, and told me it was anxiety. As soon as I truly began to beleive them, and forgot to look for my nightly palps they went away.

verykeri
20-02-12, 23:55
Danii,
what you're describing is me to a "T". this is month two, with rapid heartbeat, mostly at night, although it does tend to happen more after I eat now. Not sure if there is a relation to the digestion of food and my heart rate. Everyday that it happens I try and tell myself "Self, you didn't die from it yesterday, you probably won't die from it today either". Sometimes it works. Most times it doesn't. The other day I didn't think about it all morning, no obsessively checking my pulse, no weird phantom beats, it was quite nice. the moment that I noticed that I hadn't checked, my heart started to beat faster. It's amazing how suggestive we can be to our own self. I can't wait for this to be over. Has anyone ever tried the Linden Method? thinking of buying the program, but wanted to hear some feedback (other than what they offer on their website) first before I spend that kind of money.

Ps, I'm new here. This is my first post.

PinkRoxy
21-02-12, 09:24
daisycake I get the fluttering heart thing too I actually think it can be caused by diet. Also I was freaking out about having shaky hands for some reason that fear has gone away and I dont think about anymore, which to me must be a good thing because I think the symptom has kind of gone away.

Anyway I know how you feel I worry lot about things too but my rule is that if its been checked if gps check it if they refer onto the hospital to check it and its all clear then I know I am not going to die because its nothing to worry about especially if the doctors say so. I would take their word for it.

Sometimes its hard taking that advice but realising they are right and we are going to be ok is a good thing.

All the best aye and I do understand and hope you will be able to feel better about it soon. (((hug)))