PDA

View Full Version : Help me, I want to go to A&E now (heart)

Sammy J
19-02-12, 18:00
Am so very frightened at this precise moment.

I suffer from GERD (reflux) and recently, whenever I've had indigestion, I've had bad pain between my shoulder blades. This has been happening all afternoon. I googled it to see what to take and saw lots of pages on heart attacks :(

I am in a high anxiety state as my husband is working nights and I'm just at home with my young daughter. In the past I've been to A&E with chest pains (over 4 years ago), also seen a cardiologist (all clear - 4 years ago) but now it's between my shoulders I'm convinced.

I am 41, been a smoker for many years and the bad attacks are whenever I've quit the smokes.

Help me... what should I do???

pearl79
19-02-12, 18:04
Calm, please please calm down, i cant say what your pain is, but i sure do know that if you panic you will make your symptoms worse.... please i know its hard but im sure you are all right... ring nhs direct if you really concerned,

i suffer severe anxiety too so i know how frightened you are.... xxxxxxx

---------- Post added at 18:04 ---------- Previous post was at 18:04 ----------

i can be here to private message you, am by my laptop all the time, you are not alone hugs x

neroo
19-02-12, 18:21
[QUOTE=pearl79;945525] ring nhs direct if you really concerned, [COLOR="blue"]

Never a better bit of advice ... Put all worrying off till nhs direct phone you back
postpone all panic till they get in contact, you can worry after they contact you

nomorepanic
19-02-12, 18:27
If you call NHS direct they will tell you to go hospital - they have to give this advice with any chest pain.

Do you have chest pain in the centre of the chest as well?

Sammy J
19-02-12, 18:36
No chest pain, just burping and pain in my back. NHS Direct are very busy and have a call back time of 4 hours :(

macc noodle
19-02-12, 18:50

I suffer from GERD (reflux) and recently, whenever I've had indigestion, I've had bad pain between my shoulder blades. This has been happening all afternoon. I googled it to see what to take and saw lots of pages on heart attacks :(

I am in a high anxiety state as my husband is working nights and I'm just at home with my young daughter. In the past I've been to A&E with chest pains (over 4 years ago), also seen a cardiologist (all clear - 4 years ago) but now it's between my shoulders I'm convinced.

I am 41, been a smoker for many years and the bad attacks are whenever I've quit the smokes.

So you have been diagnosed with GERD and these symptoms are the same or different?

If different, you really should get yourself checked out if you are so worried.

Keep off the smokes - they do more harm than anything else.

Only you know how different or similar this is to how you have been previously. Have you tried some boiled water to drink ? and do you have some GERD meds to take?

:hugs::hugs:

Carys
19-02-12, 19:07
How are you doing now ?

No chest pain, just burping and pain in my back.

I have to say this is how my acid reflux feels, and its been bad these last two weeks so it is at the fore-front of my mind.

bottleblond
19-02-12, 19:24
I get this alot too.

Remember your stomach is high up. Under the left side of the ribcage and not low down in the abdomen so these pains can radiate to the back.

I used to think i had heart problems too because the pains we get with reflux can mimic something more sinister. You'll be absolutely fine so please try not to panic as it will just highten your anxiety.

Hope you feel better soon

Lisa
xx
:hugs:

Sammy J
19-02-12, 19:47
I have spoken to NHS Direct and am now waiting for a GP to call me from Out Of Hours (which could be up to 6 hours).

I think it's because this upper/mid back pain is a new development I can't just think 'oh it's the reflux'. If GP needs to see me then my husband is coming out of work to take me. He is very good with my panics but this evening as he was going to work and I started with the panic he told me I need to get on top of this now, I'm not daft and 5 GP's have told me it's all anxiety induced.

Will keep you all updated, thanks for the replies x

---------- Post added at 19:47 ---------- Previous post was at 19:34 ----------

Am seeing a GP at 11pm tonight.

anx mum
19-02-12, 20:21

Hi hun can really relate to how ur feeling last year i had chest pains was terrified it was my heart i too was scared to be alone used to call 999 or go to a&e finally they said it was acid reflex this seemed so hard to believe but it was it was so painful i was put on meds for it and it did calm down.

kellylou89
19-02-12, 20:24
I went to hospital last year struggling to breath i had pain/burning constant in my back and above my tummy .. After been put on allthe vital machines to check heart and BP i was diagnosed with reflux and given an ongoing prescription of medication to take when i get heartburn to prevent it .. My anxiety ofcourse made it worse!! I hbe had 3 or 4 simular attacks when forgetting to take my meds but learnt to calm it because i know its reflux and not my heart .. It is VERY scary

Sammy J
19-02-12, 23:56
Update:

Just back from seeing a GP at the Out Of Hours Centre who has checked me over and sent me on my way with a new prescription for acid reflux meds. Basically he asked exactly what I ate for lunch as the back pain on immediately after I'd eaten and when I mentioned mustard he gave me abit of a withering look and asked me why on earth I'd eat mustard on a sandwich when I have reflux. So, that's what he says has triggered it off.

Can't say I feel any better to be honest, the pain is still there, but he says if it continues to see my GP about a chest xray.

Beyonderz
20-02-12, 00:41
I also had that type of pain in same area, also under right rib and back. It was extreme gas. I though it was gallbladder issues but Dr didn't say anything about it really. So I trust him. Pain between shoulder blades is more common with digestive issues than heart attack. Try to relax, you will see pain is going away totally soon.

Don't check symptoms from internet. Fatal mistake.
Feel well soon

xtremx
20-02-12, 14:38
Update:

Just back from seeing a GP at the Out Of Hours Centre who has checked me over and sent me on my way with a new prescription for acid reflux meds. Basically he asked exactly what I ate for lunch as the back pain on immediately after I'd eaten and when I mentioned mustard he gave me abit of a withering look and asked me why on earth I'd eat mustard on a sandwich when I have reflux. So, that's what he says has triggered it off.

Can't say I feel any better to be honest, the pain is still there, but he says if it continues to see my GP about a chest xray.

Nice to hear you got the OK from the doctor, I have been living with gerd for the last 2 years and yes it is a case of watching what you eat and knowing what causes a attack of gerd.

Hopefully you will cut the mustard out :)