PDA

View Full Version : new here/ lipoma on knee

cara-lou
20-02-12, 11:25
Hiya all,

I'm new here my names cara and im 23 years old. For the past month i havent slept feel like im goin insane i cant concentrate on anything and just cry all the time. I have 2 young sons and i am convinved im going to die and miss them grow up :(.
The problem has stemmed from some soft lumps i have found on my knee. I have been to 3 different docters and they all diagnosed them as lipomas. But now i am convinced that my knee is aching and also read that lipomas arnt common on knee??
Has any 1 been through anything simaler i dont know what to do i am goin insane :( xx

pinkdove
20-02-12, 15:20
:welcome: cara lou, sorry you are feeling so bad, i know how hard it can be, especially with 2 young son's to look after, i hope you get some answers to your quiestion's, and enjoy your stay here xx

Groundhog
20-02-12, 17:31
Hi Cara
If you were ever unfortunate enough to get to grips with me:ohmy: you would find I am ‘lipoma central’ I have dozens and dozens of the flaming things – as did my late father (they are often inherited). Yes they are uncommon on the knee but it is certainly not unknown. On most folk they are restricted to the torso and often the head. I have them everywhere other than the head and as yet only a couple on the thighs. Occasionally they can grow at the root of a nerve or press on a nerve in which case they can be sore – very rarely they become very painful at which point a doctor may remove them with a very simple op – often at your GP surgery. Doctors see hundreds of lipomas and can spot them instantly. I once visited a new doctor at our surgery and when I took my shirt off he said ‘impressive collection of lipomas you have’ – yes he diagnosed without even laying a finger on me. In fact did you know 1 in 100 have them and thats just from the people registered as being diagnosed – the true figure is estimated to be closer to 1 in 50. They often disappear with time, certainly the first one I developed – some thirty years ago – has gone.
Also worth bearing in mind as you are clearly getting ‘upset’ by these lipomas the soreness could very likely be in your head i.e its a lump so it must be painful. Lastly there is no evidence whatever that lipomas turn cancerous so put that out of your mind.
I can only suggest for you own peace of mind that you revisit your GP and tell him your fears and the effect the worry is having on you so he/she can expand their explanation with this in mind. Above all trust your GP(s) they know. :)