PDA

View Full Version : Stomach pains and panicking - new here

DiBear
21-06-06, 10:28
Hello, I have been lurking for a while now, and have found this forum so very helpful.

I have been having tummy pains since Feb, been to the doc three times, first time it was a stomach virus, then it was anxiety (after me suggesting this to the doc) and third time a pulled muscle.

I have been much better of late, I cut down on my crazy busy lifestyle, and the panic about my pains had subsided. But last night, they all came back with full force.

I am terrified that I am going to get appendicitis. I'm terrified of going to hospital, terrified of being sick and being around other sick people. What makes it worse this time is that my husband is in the USA on business and isn't back til Friday, and I feel so less able to cope on my own.

I think, rationally, that the pain is just muscle pain (started running recently, and did 7 minutes straight yesterday for the first time), or it is wind (had some fizzy pop last night) or just plain bloatedness (had huge dinner) but there is still a part of me that thinks that I am going to have to be hospitalized and do it on my own. For the record, I have been to hospital twice in the last couple of years for minor operations and have been fine, not pleasant, but nothing bad happened.

I just want to stop worrying about every tummy twinge (esp on the right hand side) being appendicitis. I have so far restrained from googling the symptoms, and talking to my mum (ex nurse) til the wee small hours this morning, she said that I def didn't have it.

I am also worried that I might miss something if I just put everything down to anxiety. What if I am really ill, and just ignore it??

Sorry the post has been long, just need some encouragement that I am ok, and not going to have to go to hospital on my own.

Thanks,

Love Di x

ruthb1
21-06-06, 10:38
hi di,

i too suffer from health anxiety and i know how you feel when you say that you are terrified of being hospitilised. but by thinking about that you are making the pains worse. if you had appendicitis it would have happened by now. I too am like you and dont believe what the doctors say, and what if they have missed something and i am putting everything down to anxiety. But I am still here two years later and i havent been admitted to hospital with anything life threatening( i think i would pass out at the very mention of it ha ha )

Anyway take care and come on chat sometime and we will all try and help you in which ever way we can

take care

Ruthb1

chucklehound
21-06-06, 12:13
Hi DiBear and welcome to NMP:D

Take care

Chuckle

xxxx

polly daydream
21-06-06, 13:22
Hi Dibear, and welcome.

Polly

PUGLETMUM
21-06-06, 16:20
hello, i am also new, and i love it here nowhere else do people know what i'm feeling. i have panic disorder/ agoraphobia/ monophobia aaarrrggghhh (but i am normal, honest!!) and i also have a tendancy to worry about my health as underlying am frightened of dying before i'm ready(who is'nt), so going to hospital would be major trauma for me so i know exactly how you feel. at the end of the day though you cannot control evertything and neither can i so you just have to go with the flow. also can you keep reminding yourself of your last experiences of hospital and if you had to go again you would be okay again? plus also to reassure yourself could your mum or somebody else come to be with you if you were to go into hospital while your husband is away, i know that these are all safety seeking measures, but sometimes you can't move forward from your anxiety until you have put your mind at rest, hope you feel better soon physical and mental emmas