PDA

View Full Version : Probiotics not helping

Jonquil
20-02-12, 19:57
Hi,

I know lots of people here have found probiotics helpful with IBS and indeed I thought I was one of them. I was having an actimel yogurt drink each evening in bed and was a real fan. However, recently I started getting stomach cramps at night- have had this problem before but this was worse than previously and I was trying everything to try and get a good night's sleep. Finally last thing to try was leaving out the actimel. And it has helped- cramps better. Now has anyone else had this problem and do you think it is the "good bacteria" or something else- have heard that actimel has a lot of sugar and also alot of lactose- could it be either of these?

Thanks Jx

vicky23
20-02-12, 20:24
hi, it could definitley be the lactose and/or sugar. It's very unlikely to be the good bacteria I think just because so many others with ibs find it helpful and it's not like you're getting too much if you're only having one of those drinks a day.
Try leaving them out for a few more days and see how you go. You could switch to probiotics in tablet form instead which work out cheaper than the actemal anyway which is a bonus :)

Zee
20-02-12, 20:54
I had a similar problem but with Activia..It creased me up.I switched to Actimel 0% fat and perfect.

LowrieT
20-02-12, 22:14
I have never tried Actimel but I started taking Lactoluse around 10pm each night and was having terrible bloating/stomach cramps and bowel movements for about an hour in the early hours of the morning. This was happening at least once a week. I stopped taking the lactoluse about a month ago and problem has gone. Actimel could be working the same as me with lactoluse. stop it and see.

katielou80
21-02-12, 19:13
try yacult

PinkRoxy
22-02-12, 05:05
probiotics never work for me. I dont even notice any difference when taking them.

valleybear
22-02-12, 14:54
LowrieT,
I am a bit confused.... Lactulose is a laxative is it not. I take it if very constipated by the IBS and my painkillers, but it certainly works as a laxative the next day. Is that why you take it? Maybe you don't need as much? Sorry if I have misunderstood.

Jonquil
22-02-12, 21:18
Dear All,

Thanks for comments. I have stayed off the actimel and cramps are better- I think it might be the lactose in the actimel that is the problem rather than the good bacteria as I have had diaorrhea since stopping them and this is what the probiotics have helped with in the past. I will try the probiotics in tablet form and see if that works.

Thanks again
Jx