PDA

View Full Version : Duloxetine and Pregnancy?

missy_c
20-02-12, 21:27
Hi there,

I'm currently taking Cymbalta (duloxetine 30mg/day) for depression and anxiety, but am thinking of starting a family perhaps next year and am worried about whether you can take this during pregnancy, whether I would have to come off full stop, or whether I could be switched to another antidepressant when I do decide to start?

Even thinking about it is making me worried :(

dan1234
20-02-12, 21:37
Not a good idea to take at all.
Duloxetine is present in breast milk - manufacturer advises avoid.

loreen
20-02-12, 22:34
Hello

Duloxetine has not been tested or passed as safe for pregnancy or breastfeeding.

There are some ssris that are safer to take in pregnancy (I think sertraline is one),but you really need to get expert advice frome your doctor.

Good luck!

Loreen x

dan1234
21-02-12, 09:33
Hello

Duloxetine has not been tested or passed as safe for pregnancy or breastfeeding.

There are some ssris that are safer to take in pregnancy (I think sertraline is one),but you really need to get expert advice frome your doctor.

Good luck!

Loreen x

From the BNF

Manufacturers advise that SSRIs should not be used during pregnancy unless the potential benefit outweighs the risk. There is a small increased risk of congenital heart defects when SSRIs are taken during early pregnancy. If SSRIs are used during the third trimester there is a risk of neonatal withdrawal symptoms, and persistent pulmonary hypertension in the newborn has been reported; see also individual monographs.