PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me calm down :-(

Hayley1982
20-02-12, 21:22
I'm feeling really panicky and keep feeling like I can't catch my breath. Someone please help x

Rach29
20-02-12, 21:25
Hi ive been like that on off all day its horrible i just try to stay calm and breath through my stomach and tell myself i can breath tho i think i cant try to distract yourself ive been playin games on here to take my mind off it its the worst symptom for me x

anx mum
20-02-12, 21:27
Hi hun i too suffer with panic attacks so know how your feeling firstly try taking some slow deep breaths breath into a paper bag if you have one this will pass hun i used to go outside and just feel the air as i felt i couldnt breath tell yourself u r breathing just a little 2 fast. Have u got anyone with u?

bottleblond
20-02-12, 21:27
Hayley

Try to distract yourself from it. It's just the anxiety making you feel this way. Remember it can't and won't harm you but you need to take the bull by the horns and kick ass hun. Show it who's boss. :winks: xxx

Hayley1982
20-02-12, 21:31
I've got a cold to so think that's making me worse as can't breathe properly out my nose :-( it's like I'm gasping for my breath it just keeps freaking me out x

Mindful
20-02-12, 21:32
Its a horrible feeling when you feel like you cant catch your breath :(

Truth is though that you can, your body will breath whether you like it or not, thing is when we become aware of our breathing we interfere in the natural progress, if we leave it alone it will work perfectly well. Thing is it isnt easy to take your mind off something that frightens the life out of you such as feeling we cant breath.

You can try to distract yourself with games online or the tv or whatever.. or you can challenge it and hold your breath for as long as you can... you wont be able to stop yourself from breathing no matter how hard you try.

As Clare Weekes says, '' dont be bluffed by a physical feeling'' x

bignik
20-02-12, 21:33
yeah Ive got a cold too and same problem , go get a hankie and have a good ole blow and breathe in nice and slow , and out , pop the kettle on

Sarahj8079
20-02-12, 21:35
Hi

I have been the same this evening, I have had a really heavy cold which has moved onto my chest making it harder but I know a panic attack will not hurt me!! Its because your concentrating on your breathing that it's making it seem more difficult as 90% of the time you breath without thinking about it.

My attacks usually occur in my car (I work 1 hour away from home) sometimes my own advice works sometimes it doesn't do I do understand what your going through x

kittikat
20-02-12, 21:48
Breathe slowly and deeply from you stomach, put your hand there so you can feel it going in and out as you breathe. Think positive thoughts. Hope you feel better soon :)

Pipkin
20-02-12, 22:42
Hi H,

Just remember all the times you've felt like this before. You always came through and were fine on the other side.

Try to distract yourself and relax your muscles.

Take care - you'll be ok

Pip x