PDA

View Full Version : Pain to Power

W.I.F.T.S.
21-06-06, 11:50
In 'Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway' Susan Jeffers talks about a pain to power chart. Feeling depressed, anxious and paralysed are obviously painful and feeling confident, happy and free are powerful. We are all somewhere in between the two poles.

I think before I became ill with depression, anxiety and panic attacks I was very close to the pain side anyway. There were moments and even spells where I was quite happy, but I was still quite passive in that. the first 6 months with my previous girlfriend for example were very happy times because I finally felt accepted and I was seeing and doing so many new things. I was still very passive though because the only thing that I did was accept her seduction. She led the way in everything that we did.

I suppose I could have gone on feeling miserable and dissatisfied forever if I hadn't become ill. The positive side of this illness is that it has made me realise all the things that I was doing that weren't working for me. I was paralysed by fear, I was anti-social, I had a bad attitude. I'm now working on doing positive things, meeting new people.

I'm definitely one of those people who says 'I'll be happy when this happens' or 'I'll be happy when I do that'. I have endured most of my life rather than enjoyed it. I don't know if I know how to be happy. I know that relaxation is the key, but i do find it so difficult.

Here's a good quote: "An anxious mind cannot exist within a relaxed body".

I always used to look to drugs or alcohol to relax or stimulate me. I know now that I have been looking in the wrong places.

Ships in harbour are safe..but that's not what ships were built for.