PDA

View Full Version : Antibiotics...Now Oral Thrush!

Trish
21-02-12, 11:45
After a 5 day course of antibiotics for a kidney/water infection my mouth & throat has broken out with oral thrush. It is so sore and making me feel so low and poorly...again! My glands in my neck are up I think, or it could be the thrush in my throat. My gp has given me Nystan to use 3 times a day.

Has anyone else had this so bad, and is there anything I should avoid eating (not like I feel like eating:huh:) ?

I spose I should be grateful it's 'upstairs' and not 'downstairs' if you know what i mean ladies:blush:?

Trish x

austinali66
21-02-12, 11:55
yes had exactly the same happen in the autumn. I had same med for thrush it tastes Vile! It does work but you should definitely eat lots of plain yoghurt as it builds up the good bacteria again and is quite soothing. Some people say to avoid too much sugary food when you have thrush but thats up to you. Stick with the nystatin and get some yoghurt.

Ddcoo
21-02-12, 11:58
Hi Trish, I get regular water infections; take antibiotics and then need thrush treatment. Has the doctor given you a tablet to take for the thrush as that is the best way to clear it out from the whole system (top to bottom) if you get my meaning. When you say you have been given Nystan to use 3 times a day is it for use for the upper region or lower region?

Hope you get relief soon as I know what its like.:blush:

Trish
21-02-12, 12:06
Thank you for your reply. Yes my GP mentioned Yoghurt, not my fav but i'll give it a go.

Did it make you feel poorly, and did you have it in your throat as well?

Thanks again

Trish x

---------- Post added at 12:06 ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 ----------

Hiya, It's for my mouth. No my GP didn't give me a tablet, so I think I'll give her a call and ask about it.

I very rarely get it 'downstairs' so I have to be grateful for that:blush:

Thanks for your reply.

Trish x

Ddcoo
21-02-12, 12:15
Hi again Trish, the tablet I mentioned is by Canestan and you can buy it from the chemists if you don't want to bother going to the doctors.:)

Trish
21-02-12, 12:31
Hi Ddcoo

Isn't Canestan for 'downstairs'? :huh: Or does it treat both?

Trish x

austinali66
21-02-12, 14:32
hi Trish, yes the thrush did make me feel poorly but then I had just had a urine infection, an allergic reaction to the first antibiotic then the second antibiotic cleared up up the urine infection but I got oral thrush and generally run down all spiralling into a return to depression and anxiety. I, like a lot of us on here are not very good at being poorly, always think the worst.

I think although the antibiotics are great for clearing up infection but they can leave you feeling a bit low and oral thrush is horrid. I became completely obsessed with looking at my tongue and convincing myself it had spread through my body (oh yes, I can really panic!) Looking back I just needed to stay off health sites on the internet, take the meds and eat yoghurt! I did also buy a probiotic vitamin tablet from the health food shop and drink lots of water. You just need to look after yourself as well and build up that good bacteria. I had plain yoghurt with some honey. Hope this helps.

Trish
21-02-12, 22:41
Ahhh thank you austinali. Yes it's very true antibiotics do make you feel low, and maybe I need to give myself more time to recover fully.

I really don't like Yoghurt so i'm struggling to have the yoghurt drink Actamil (sp) I don't like that either but it goes down quicker and has to be done:huh:

Thank you for you're input, it's much appreciated.

Trish x

StressCase
21-02-12, 23:11
I had terrible oral thrush when taking a course of antibiotics when I was a teenager. It covered my tongue and my throat. I remember there was such a thick coating I was spitting it out! Yuk! I can't remember what I took to clear it up but I know it didn't last too long. Natural yoghurt is supposed to be really good though so if you can manage it, it should help.