PDA

View Full Version : Flu

koalalou
21-02-12, 13:03
Hi,I'm new and not sure where to post but here goes...I've been ill in bed since sunday (I never am ill enough to go to bed) with a bad head,temp,terrible pains in my body and dont want to eat or drink.Yesterday my temp was lower and i made myself eat some toast,then all night i have been up with pain in my back,legs and neck.I tried a cup of tea this morning and felt sick,my main thing is i have a phobia of vomit so I went online to look up flu symptoms...panic now as some say flu does make you sick.I am waiting for my gp to phone me back,i havnt met him as i dont like going to the doctor.My grown up daughter has my 5 year old as i feel so ill but this is making me cry as i'm alone scared that i will get a secondary infection.I havn't been out of my house for 3 days and i know that going out again will cause me anxiety.

Abarth
21-02-12, 13:14
Hi there, don't be scared. Flu and it variants are pretty horrible, but if you stay warm, take lots of fluids and sweat it out, you should be fine. Honestly, don't google. I've done this myself and sent my head into a spin. Dr Google will tell you horror stories that are mostly just not likely at all. Sure, you are going to feel pretty rubbish for a short while, but it will pass. Secondary infections are pretty rare and even then only strike vulnerable groups (elderly etc) and even then are fixable!
Worrying is the thing most likely to make you feel nauseous. So, warm tea, toast when you can and rest. I'm sure you will be okay and that your Dr will also reassure you.
Positive thoughts going out to you.
Take care and update how you are.

countrygirl
21-02-12, 15:31
True flu is horrible but most people recover without any nasty secondary infections. They say the difference between flu and a bad cold is if someone tells you there is a £10 note on your front door step with flu you say it can stay there with a bad cold you leap out of the door and grab it:). So sounds like you are in the " it can stay there camp"?
As previous poster says keep warm, loads of fluids ( I know I have proper flu when I cannot eat!) and of course if you don't get any better or worse then get a Dr to visit but proper flu can take you up to 2 weeks to feel you can even go out of the house again.

Poor you:bighug1:

paula lynne
21-02-12, 15:44
Agree with pervious posters, what you need now is complete rest, this will take time. Rely on family and friends to help with housework. xGet well soon x

koalalou
21-02-12, 19:18
Thankyou for the replies.My 5 yr old has her first parents evening at her gym squad tomorrow,it's on for 2 hours and it's very important to her so I'm praying i feel a bit better by the evening to sit and watch.