PDA

View Full Version : sleep or lack of

Tessie28
06-05-04, 00:18
hi,
i did introduce myself earlier but am now up trying to divert my thoughts. i get off to sleep for about 30 mins then wake up with a start and pounding heart.:(
trouble is i am soooo tired and don't want to take a valium as seem to feel more out of control then. how to get some zzzzzzzzzzs without the rest any ideas?
cheers,
tess

sarah
06-05-04, 00:35
Hiya Tess

The only few ways I can get myself off to sleep is....
Have a nice warm/hot bath
Have a milky drink
Read a book till I pass out...lol
Make sure ive tired myself out in the day by doing some exercise or gardening etc

theres loads of other ideas which im sure others will come up with but these are mine :)

love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

Tessie28
06-05-04, 01:02
thanks sarah,
i've just had a mug of peppermint tea to calm my tummy and am going to try again. [|)]
love tess

stimpy
06-05-04, 09:01
Not sleeping due to panic is horrible isn't it.

Have you tried relaxation exercises or a mediation tape or CD?
I find they help me a great deal.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

Tessie28
06-05-04, 13:11
hi liz,

as i am new to this i haven't tried anything yet but will take your advice. i must admit i'm so hopeful that after i've seen the wrist doctor[B)] tomorrow these feelings will begin to ease [my gp thinks so].
love tessxx

Meg
06-05-04, 16:42
Chamomile tea is preferable at night time . Peppermint is good for tummy but is also energising ..

Lavender on pillow and in bath .

Stay up till really tired the bed with relaxation CD.

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

Tessie28
06-05-04, 17:41
thanks again meg. you know it helps to know i'm not going mad,
tess

silentcalligraph
06-05-04, 22:54
You're not going mad - but sleep depravation can make you feel a lot worse. Another vicious circle. I'm struggling a bit as well right now though I have developed a couple of tricks to deal with the worst.

Meditation can be helpful but it needs some practice until you'll able to experience its soothing effects. When things are really tough I get my deck of cards and start laying out patience games - one after the other until I finally keel over. This distracts my mind from the actual panic as well as from all the fussing about not being able to sleep, or not being able to sleep for a long while until the next attack hits. Sleep is an essential function of your body and your body will take what it needs sooner or later - no need to worry about it. I know it's easier said than done - right now I'm not getting enough sleep for similar reasons.

Something else that has helped me - do not lie on your bed until you go to bed. (Taking a nap during daytime is a different story). But no reading, watching tv, phoning etc. - I used to do all that stuff on the bed and it was very hard to stop doing it but it made a huge difference to my sleeping problems.

Tessie28
07-05-04, 07:53
thanks for that,
you guys have really helped me already:D
now to face the arm doctor,
cheers tess

uryjm
07-05-04, 21:14
Tess
Learning to relax and breathe properly can be a tonic, espescially when you wake up to find yourself on the verge, or in the midst of, major panic. Breathing and relaxation, while trying to think calming and positive thoughts is pretty hard, so you have to work at it. I used to set aside fifteen minutes a day to practice. I'm glad I did. Often, at 3am, you can do this routine and the next thing you know the alarm is going off and it's morning.

Jim

Tessie28
08-05-04, 04:49
thanks jim,
i prefer it when the dark has gone but was in a good sleep when my husband's alarm went off at 4 [:0][he is a postman]. now distracting myself and going to look at the jokes,:D
cheers,
tess

Meg
08-05-04, 11:25
So what did the arm doctor say ?

Meg

Dr.David Livingstone

Tessie28
08-05-04, 14:11
hi meg,
the arm doctor was pleased with the x ray and i explained about this problem. i go back again next friday for more x rays. i felt great yesterday and even watched a whole film in the evening. but night was bad again and horrible today. i thought i was getting better - could this just be a blimp caused by lack of sleep? is this thing ever going to let up [sorry, i'm crying now and i haven't all week.
tess :(

nomorepanic
08-05-04, 18:04
Tess

I definitely feel worse if I don't get a good night's sleep. I also feel light-headed/dizzy the next day if I sleep particularly badly.

Good news about the arm.

Have a good cry - I have been doing that a lot too recently and it helps to let all the tension out doesn't it.

Chin up Tess - we are all here for you.

Nicola

Meg
08-05-04, 18:13
Crying is natures emergency pressure valve. Let it do its thing ..

Yes, it will let up .

A vigourous walk followed by a relaxation CD in a warm lavendered bath may just do the trick.

When I got really desperate for sleep after about 3 weeks of 1 hour a night - I found a masseuse who would come out to my home in evening and she used vetiver - knock out oil . It worked .

This will pass.

Meg

Dr.David Livingstone

seh1980
08-05-04, 19:00
Hi Tess,

My answer to not being able to sleep well is Horlicks. It works every time for me!!
Good luck!

Sarah (seh1980)

Tessie28
08-05-04, 19:48
thanks so much you guys, i'm having a cry now but at your kindness:)
it really helps. i'm going to start a diary now. i guess i thought crying [which i do do normally] was a sign of giving up - as oppose to thinking positive thoughts.
i hope you don't mind if i tell you a little more about myself here.
i have had depression on and off since i had my son [20 years now] but never felt as terrible as this makes me. i take 20 mg of prozac which keeps me in check :)
four and a half years ago i lost my dad to bowel cancer [69 years old]. then a year later mum got a brain tumour and died just 18 months after my dad. my mum was my best mate really and i think i coped well considering [just 4 days off school - i'm a teacher]. one thing my older brother and i have been talking about this week is the liklihood of a relationship between the past and this new problem [ie the blood pressure, my wrist and the shock]. what does anyone think?[?]

love and best wishes,
tess

Meg
08-05-04, 21:46
Did you grieve for your parents and give yourself time and space to get over that shock...It doesn't always pay to 'cope well'.

When my Dad died I just had the funeral day off and none others and I never cried.
3 days later I had the first of these but had no idea what it was, it passed and I put it behind me as a shock reaction. I then had 3 months clear and everyone thought I was doing great then when another man I also called Daddy was diagnosed terminal and 3 days later these started in earnest .

Without a doubt bereavement was the contributor as several other neighbours and friends had died too as well as working 15 hour days .

Pint pot too full. Emotional Overload .

Yor may be that this is the first trauma you've had without your Mum, your son is away and you're feeling extra vunerable.

Meg

Dr.David Livingstone

Tessie28
08-05-04, 22:12
hi meg,
yes i did greave [sp] and still do really. it is the first big thing though and my first reaction was i wanted to talk to mum. unless you have lost a parent is is hard to imagine that i expect. my husband is fantastic but such a different personality - laid back, relaxed etc.

anyway i think i'm going to try to sleep now, after a much better evening than i had day and lots of reassurance from you guys.[^]

take care,
tess

diana
10-05-04, 15:32
Tess,

So glad to meet you :).

I am sorry to hear you have`nt been sleeping well due to the panic monster.

I think most of us here can relate to what you are going through.

I too have suffered the disturbance in getting a good nights sleep because of this disorder.

It does pass though dear, so not to worry about that.

Though I know it is so incredibly hard to cope with whilst in the midst of it.

With the thigs you have been dealing with, I can see why you would be suffering now.

I do hope you are feeling a bit better today dear.

I hope you have been able to get some much needed sleep.

Keep us posted on how you are getting on with things.

There are some great suggestions and advice already posted here. I hope you find something that works for you. :)

If I can, I would just like to add what works for me. I like to drink a cup of warm milk. Which really does usually knock me out. ;)

Let us know how you get on dear.

Take care,

Diana xxxx

HB
10-05-04, 19:25
yeah i went through a phase where i didnt sleep for almost a year, then one night i got so seriously tired that i just dropped off naturally, and never had sleepless nights since. Just try gritting your teeth and getting though it. Good thoughts, xx

H