PDA

View Full Version : New here

car_scared
22-02-12, 11:08
So...I guess this is how you find out about me. I am a bit of a mess right now. I am currently sitting in my room in a mental hospital. It all started because I had 3 phobias, Spiders, being a passanger in a car, and moths. I was working with my psychologist to get through those, but I also had a concussion in July. Ever since the concussion I have had dizziness and memory problems and was trying to get that figured out. My doctor kept trying any treatment possible besides scans and sending me to a neurologist. Finally he told me that it was probably just anxiety and stress causing it so he prescribed Sertraline. I took it for 1 week, but it was AWEFUL! It turned me into a completely different person and had me thinking suicidal thoughts, so he agreed I should stop the medication. The first day not having taken the medicine the suicidal thoughts went haywire and I was literally scared of myself! I felt like someone or something was getting in my head and messing with it. In addition the medicine made me restless which made me feel like I couldn't control my body. This made me fear myself even more because I couldn't control my mind or my body! I went in the next day and was admitted to a mental hospital. I have been here 1 week and they put me on a different medication. They said since I had an adverse reaction to an SSRI they would put me on an SNRI instead. I have been gradually feeling better and better and having less and less suicidal thoughts. I had my first dose of that medication yesterday and actually have had no thoughts of suicide since lunch time yesterday! :yesyes:

Cassandra

nomorepanic
22-02-12, 11:09
Hi car_scared

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

mistymoo
22-02-12, 11:30
hi cassandra, welcome to the site, you are in the best place where they can moniter you and your meds, I know how powerful the mind can be, you will improve just try to persevere through these dark days, good luck

car_scared
22-02-12, 11:56
Thanks. One of my concerns is that if the suicidal thoughts came from the SSRI and withdrawl from it, then how likely is the SNRI to do the same thing? I have always avoided taking medicines anyways, but now I'm actually scared to take the medicine, I'm scared it will make me worse again.

Pipkin
22-02-12, 15:19
Hi Cassandra and :welcome:

I too had a bad reaction to sertraline and it pushed my anxiety to new levels. I only took it for a week and it may have worked if I'd given it time but I couldn't tolerate it for one more day. It was truly awful.

About a week later I started venlafaxine (an SNRI) and have had no real problems with it at all, apart from the usual side effects which get better with time. I just think that different meds suit different people and it's often a matter of trial and error. At least you're safely in the care of experts who will have encountered these situations before and will know exactly what to do. Often, GPs are a little out of their depth when in comes to these complexities.

I wish you all the best. I've had great results with an SNRI and I'm sure you will too.

Take care

Pip x

pinkdove
22-02-12, 17:52
:welcome: cassandra, you are very brave, and it is ofter just a case of finding the right meds, it looks like you are winning now.

hope you are back to your old self soon, you are in the right place to make a full recovery....good luck sending you :hugs:

anx mum
22-02-12, 19:26
Hi hun hope u r feeling a little better? Hospital will get your meds right they did with mine and i was bk to my old self again in a few weeks i know it dosent feel like it but u r in the right place.:hugs:

Day-V Anne
25-02-12, 03:03
Hello doll! :)
I just had a horrid experience with Valium. I take Xanax but my anxiety was getting worse, so I was switched to Valium and took it one day and went to the hospital. I am scared of new pills too, and that didn't make it any better. I am always afraid of the side effects. I ended up having withdrawl from the Xanax not taking it one single dy. I felt like I was crawling out of my skin. I have fears driving a car. I do it, but I feel as though I will fly off the road or something. You will get better. You haven't always been like this. You won't always be this way either. Take care!! :)

Xoxoxo
D

car_scared
03-03-12, 09:25
Hey all! Out of the hospital now, still on Cybalta (trying to convince the doctors to take me off of it). I really don't want to be taking medication, but we'll see. I also just realized (with the help of my psychologist and the internet) that all of this that I'm going through could actually be a result of things that happened to me when I was a kid. Now I have to start to face that! Wish me luck!

little wren
03-03-12, 09:56
Hi Cassandra and welcome...I am so pleased to hear that things have improved for you, it sounds like you've had a tough time of it ...just to say 'good luck' :flowers: