PDA

View Full Version : thoughts of going schizo

blazer79
21-06-06, 18:09
hi guys, im new 2 this site..i have had chronic ocd & anxiety for about 2yrs. for the last 6mths things have been alot better but now it is back worse than ever. my main problem at the moment is that i have the obssesion that i am going 2 go schizophrenic & be devoid of relality, i have the insight to realise this is unlikely but my thougts tend to trick me. its like im so acutley aware of my inner voice(thinking) it has always been with me even since a child but since i had my fisrt panic attack i seemed to notice it sooo much more. its like i can hear myself thinking( is this normal 4 everyone?) i continually think i am going to start hearing a foreign voice ,ie not my own thoughts...is it normal to talk inside your head ie. ask yourself q's , answer them etc, like i should do this or that, what am i going 2 cook 4 dinner, things like that? its like i continually need reassure that im not going schizo.. i have been to see 2 shrinks & they say its just anxiety & im not schizo, they say most schizo's wont question that they are crazy as they are delusional.. they also said that hearing voices is like hearing someone speak to you from outside your head, that with voices its hard 2 distingiush between thoughts & sumone talking to you..
i guess i just want to know if you guys are so aware of your inner voice(thoughts) do so called non anxious ppl notice their inner voice & just not react to it in an anxious way. sorry if this post if going on but just had 2 let it out...some reassuring responses or similar experiences would be appreciated....by teh way i am not on any meds at all only vitamins & fish oil... i have a partner & 2 yr old daughter take care & thanks 4 listening

existential crisis
21-06-06, 21:31
Hey,

A lot of people who suffer from anxiety have the fear of 'going mad' or developing a severe mental illness. I for one certainly had this fear - in fact, it was the thing that bothered me most. Let me reassure you that you are not schizophrenic and the shrink is right - there is a massive difference between hearing foreign voices that do not come from within yourself and what I call 'loud' thoughts. Having an inner voice, like a running dialogue inside your head is just you thinking. It's just at the moment the thoughts are about nasty things. Plus, I know what its like to feel so anxious and so sensitised to every sensation in your body/mind that thoughts seem unusually loud and strong. I'm more or less recovered from anxiety now and I still have an 'inner voice'. It's what helps me make decisions, it's my conscience and to some extent, my guide. It's you talking with you - if that makes sense. Trouble is if the content of it isnt very nice then it's gonna provoke some pretty horrid feelings. That's where something like CBT comes in - trying to change how you think about things in order to change how you feel.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">is it normal to talk inside your head ie. ask yourself q's , answer them etc, like i should do this or that, what am i going 2 cook 4 dinner, things like that? its like i continually need reassure that im not going schizo.. </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

All that is is you reasoning with yourself, everyone does it. You wouldnt be able to function if you didnt think like this thousands of times a day, its just most the time in your non-anxious state you dont really pay them any attention, and you dont think that it is a sign of something serious developing. Dont attach any significance to those thoughts, they just seem a bit louder than normal because your anxious. But I do know what you mean because at one point I was also like you - thinking that every thought and behaviour meant that something might be amiss in my mind. But it wasn't. It was just anxiety and fear.

Clare. xxx

*I think, therefore I am.*

polly daydream
22-06-06, 21:29
Hi, I think most anxious people suffer with this, you are defo not alone!!!

Best wishes

Polly