PDA

View Full Version : weird sensation under my left rib cage

jojo69
22-02-12, 22:00
hi i was wondering if anyone could help i suffer from health anxiety and ive been to the docs with what i can only describe as something trapped under my left rib. if ur a woman reading this post its like when your pregnant and the babys foot or arm is pushing up under the ribcage, the doc says it was a pulled muscle but its been like that a while now i was just wondering if it was a symptom of anxiety. i will look forward to a reply x

cattttt
23-02-12, 05:59
Doc is right, it's probably a pulled muscle. If you're tense,that will make it worse and harder for it to heal.

lelespears
23-02-12, 07:43
I'm having the exact same thing!!!!

Feels like a baby's foot or a big bubble of air that never moves its awful. I went to the dr and she thinks mines is constipation. Mines is defo not a pulled muscle.

Lele x

countrygirl
23-02-12, 16:53
Your bowel runs up and under your left rib so any gas there can feel like something big stuck under rib or a pulled muscle as mentioned. I have had both and when it was my bowel I would get a feeling like bubbles popping under the rib as well its was the air in bowel popping! I had it for days at a time.

Jo1981
23-02-12, 17:58
Hey i have the same sort of thing but the sensation is in my lower abdomen,but i cant describe what it feels like i would say its like a throb and it comes on then goes straight away some days i dont even feel it..but i was thinking it could be a pulled muscle from picking my one year old up all the time..

Sazziesaz
23-02-12, 19:01
Hi I have had exactly the same thing.... blushes......trapped wind....... So don't worry! xx

lelespears
24-02-12, 13:44
Does it feel trapped for ages? Mines has been feeling stuck for weeks!!!

Help!

Lele x

Tinas
09-05-12, 22:37
Bump. Has anyone had this?

lelespears
19-05-12, 09:37
Bump.

AnnOBrien
19-05-12, 13:01
Hey, I made a post about this recently under "Left Abdomen Pain". Still have it, both to the left of my naval and under my left rib cage, towards the middle of the chest where the rib cage curves. I think its all muscular from being so tense over the last week or so, though I have had abdomen pains on and off for months. Sometimes it feels like its radiating from my back too, which of course is in bits like most people with anxiety. Its a horrible feeling, I wish my body could get a break from it so it may have a chance of getting back to normal

lelespears
19-05-12, 17:40
Yeah I'm not sure about mine either.. Does your feel worse when u have wind? My stomach muscles left side ache too! No idea why

Lele x

AnnOBrien
19-05-12, 18:28
Yeah the just under the rig cage discomfort can feel like trapped wind but the lower pain doesn't, that's just an ache. I'm sure your sore stomach muscles are from tension. I think I end up holding myself weirdly when I'm sitting in work, plagued with worries but trying to look like I'm doing something useful and I end up causing these pains, as well as my back pain.

lelespears
20-05-12, 14:04
Hope so! It's very scary. It's been over a wk! I hold my son on that side so hopefully that's causing the pain. Weird though.

Lele x

hypozak
20-05-12, 14:26
Trapped gas take some tablets ul b fine

mommiemoom
02-10-12, 22:56
Hi, I too am having strange feelings in my chest just below my left ribs. I have (in the last 12 months) had a c-section that has many complications including baby flipping during procedure and tearing my womb badly. I had 3hours of surgery and was very ill. Ever since I had pain for 5months and now a weird sensation (almost like someone is washing up inside me) and very much like a wriggling baby during pregnancy. I had xrays that showed something and my doctor put it down to chest infection....!
PS.... this for me isn't down to constipation as my section has caused me to have IBS an I'm never constipated lol. :blush:

lo89
02-10-12, 23:15
Omg this is exactly what I have got, and have had on and off for literally like 5 years, feels like pressure under my ribs, I was convinced it was an enlarged spleen but seeing how many other people get this has really reassured me!

jack2017
15-10-12, 16:38
I am facing the same problem , i can consulte with my surgeon doctor and he said there is no problem , its just muscle stress sometimes...

He said to me ......plz don't worry , don't do heavy exercises , just jog and run and keep walking every morning ..

this problem will not arise again .

i am doing that , if somebody has diferent opinion , lz share on this

---------- Post added at 21:08 ---------- Previous post was at 21:06 ----------

I am facing the same problem , i consulted with my surgeon doctor and he said there is no problem , its just muscle stress sometimes...

He said to me ......plz don't worry , don't do heavy exercises , just jog and run and keep walking every morning ..

this problem will not arise again .

i am doing that , if somebody has diferent opinion , lz share on this

lo89
15-10-12, 16:51
I have this pain also. When my health anxiety was at its peak a few weeks ago, I was convinced that the pain was caused by an enlarged spleen due to the fact that my body was riddled with cancer ... The pain has eased q lot now but I still get a strange sorta pressure in the area, which I have had on and off for about 5 years at least. I'm guessing if it was something serious it would gave killed me by now!
I would trust your doctor. Give it a few weeks and see how you feel, if it is still bad or gets worse go see your doctor again

katielou80
15-10-12, 17:13
i cant believe all this!! ive been having this for 2 years, it cases my skipped heart beats too!! it feels like something is there, even when i lie on my belly! and it rumbles up there too!! ive been worrying for ages about this. sometimes my left side belly feels bigger too!

Melisssa
21-11-12, 07:44
Yes ive had this. Years ago and that's exactly how I described it.. Like when the babies foot gets under your rib! I've got it again now.. Can last for
Months. It's trapped wind. It's horrible.

cattia
21-11-12, 08:09
OMG I am so glad I read this! I have this exact same thing, I was saying to my husband the other day that it feels exactly like when my son used to stick his foot under my rib when I was pregnant! I was worrying that it must be some sort of tumour or something but reading this has really reassured me.

StarryBlueGal
22-11-12, 01:59
Had this 10 years ago... remember that I decided to go to the doctors with my mum, and the female doctor examined me said it might be ulcer or gallbladder...I was worried that I might have breast cancer - was worried a lot about this and was becoming anxious and depressed. The doctor assured me that it is not breast cancer and it was probably a ulcer. The feeling was horrible, under my left ribcage and I could feel bubbles under it and was blocked all the time, and sometimes my arm would shake a bit. I had to take tablets but they didn't help me very much. But now the trapped wind has gone and it comes back occasionally but I ingore it as I know it is nothing really as I am still here. I was very young and naive 10 years ago and was experiencing anxiety for first time.

But the trapped wind will go away in time if you don't worry too much and it will make it more worse. I hope you all will get this horrible feeling gone soon!

StarryBlueGal xx

Foot in ribs
10-01-14, 17:41
Omg I can't believe what I'm reading,I have been having this same issue for about three months now with the last week being really bad, but I also have another symptom like being pregnant,,I feel tremendous pressure in my lower abdomen like would be in last weeks of pregnancy , not preg, had hysterectomy years ago, the only relief from the pressure is to sit on the toilet not to use it,,just sitting as if to use it,, and some relief is brought to the 'foot in rib' by arching my back as far as I can and doing just as I did when babies foot stuck, by slowing guiding it down out from under the ribs,, I can't feel anything on the 'outside' as far as to touch but if I had to describe the size of what I feel inside,under my left rib I would say it is bout the size of a orange,, gas?? I hope it's that simple,, I hate to go to doctor so I keep putting it off, but this last week it has got more and more uncomfortable so I have been peep talking myself to go,, guess I will see who wins out,my fear of docs or my self peep talks lol, :D

jared
10-01-14, 19:41
Let 'er rip.

bulan
13-04-14, 05:03
I'm dealing with exactly the same thing. It's a pressure under my lower rib cage on my left side, which sometimes gets worse when I inhale.

It began 1-2 months ago, and it comes and goes. But I'm disturbed by the fact that it can stick around for days... even with regular bowel movements. How can this be?

I'm concerned about my spleen, pancreas, colon, and whatever else lives in that general area... :(

Any reassurance would be helpful, I'm sure.

Foot in ribs
13-04-14, 12:34
Went to doc , enlarged spleen, :( set me up for ct and blood work but I have not went yet I'm to scared :sofa: :(

Mrschurchill
13-04-14, 15:42
Sorry to hear that Foot in Ribs! Hoping its nothing too serious and you're on the mend soon. I'm another with this weird sensation! It started under my ribs but that doesn't bother me too much now and it's mainly my back and side, like right under the ribcage! Panic central... Enlarged spleen, multiple myeloma etc! Fun times! :(

bulan
13-04-14, 17:25
I'm sorry to hear that too, Foot in Ribs. Please keep us updated on your progress.

Meanwhile, I realized I should clarify... some people describe this pressure as being at the front on the left side.

Mine, though, is located where my elbow would be when my arm hangs down. And it stretches just a little bit into my back, as well.

Does anyone else have their pressure in this spot? Or is everyone else's at the front?

I've also had occasional shooting pains in the same spot, as well as a general achiness.

I'm feeling more and more worried about this, and wonder if I should see a doctor today? :(

cloudbusting
13-04-14, 17:44
Hi bulan
Yep, mine is in the exact spot that you have described, right around the side. I get it for a couple of days and then it just goes. When I first felt it, like a 'foot' I jumped out of my skin as I thought I was about to have a baby and had been unknowingly pregnant ! Cue massive panic attack ! My Dr examined it and wasn't unduly concerned so I just put up with it now and don't notice it much. It makes my heart 'skip' too which just makes me think that the vagus nerve is irritated.
It took me *ages* to feel reasonably ok with it but I am now and just let it do its thing. You know that being anxious slows down your digestion so wind, food can get trapped there ? It's very common.
Lisa x

bulan
13-04-14, 17:46
Thank you, Lisa! :flowers:

Mrschurchill
13-04-14, 18:46
OMG BULAN YES!!! That's EXACTLY where it is. It's sore to press on and everything! It's like the bones hurt but not on the right side at all! Do you have the pain when you press to? X

bulan
13-04-14, 19:11
Yes, I do find it's sore when I press on those ribs. But (and this is a big but), given that I have fibromyalgia, it hurts pretty much everywhere I press, so this spot on my ribs isn't different from any other spot. Which may be good news or bad news, I'm not sure. :blush:

Mrschurchill
13-04-14, 19:21
Hmm I'm unsure. I didn't even know what Fibromyalgia was and it makes SO much sense to me. I have pain like everywhere it seems. My knees, hips, back, shoulders... Everywhere. I might make a wee trip to the docs and see as all blood work always comes back normal and everything I'm told is 'muscular'. Bulan you might have answered my problems! Lol sorry for high jacking your post though and I'm sure it's all connected. I'm glad we aren't alone tho! :flowers:

bulan
13-04-14, 20:21
Hmm I'm unsure. I didn't even know what Fibromyalgia was and it makes SO much sense to me. I have pain like everywhere it seems. My knees, hips, back, shoulders... Everywhere. I might make a wee trip to the docs and see as all blood work always comes back normal and everything I'm told is 'muscular'. Bulan you might have answered my problems! Lol sorry for high jacking your post though and I'm sure it's all connected. I'm glad we aren't alone tho! :flowers:

It took 1.5 years for doctors to diagnose me. As one doctor recently put it, it's a diagnosis of elimination--in other words, everything else needs to be ruled out first. Meanwhile, not all doctors believe it even exists. So it can take a while for people to get their answers and, in the meantime, those of us with health anxiety feel lost and confused. So if you can find answers through all this, that would be good. :)

Mrschurchill
13-04-14, 20:24
I'm lucky as I am offered the BUPA advanced health assessment once every two years through my work which I believe is worth over £500! I had it before I got pregnant and everything came back normal, they check for pretty much EVERYTHING! But I am scared to go this time. :(

bulan
17-04-14, 03:00
What's involved with that assessment, Mrschurchill?

---------- Post added at 22:00 ---------- Previous post was at 21:51 ----------

I couldn't wait another two weeks to see my family doctor, so I saw a walk-in clinic doctor tonight.

He wants to check for kidney stones, and he wants to check to make sure my spine is okay too, so he's sending me for an ultrasound and an x-ray.

As most of you can imagine, the anxiety kicks up a notch while waiting for tests and test results. :(

And of course, the pressure and pain in that area seems worse since having seen the doctor.

It's like the time I went to the ER with chest pains. The nurse told me that some women experience pain similar to a toothache when they have a heart attack. I'd had no tooth pain before that moment, but in the minutes and days that followed, I suddenly had toothaches. :(

So now the pain and pressure are worse under my ribs, and I'm fighting anxiety. Again. I'm afraid the doctor didn't tell me the extent of his concerns, and that he's also checking for cancer.

I can't stand health anxiety. And boy, I hate cancer phobia!!

bulan
17-04-14, 15:42
Ack! I'm worried again. :(

I'm scheduled for an ultrasound and x-ray today, which I'm thankful for. But I have to fast for the ultrasound (except water), so when I drank a glass of water this morning I immediately felt a sharp pain in my upper left abdomen.

I know what my doctor's testing me for, but but he's examining my kidney, and not anything else in the abdomen at this point.

Does anyone have any idea what could cause a sharp pain like mine, after just drinking a glass of water?

Mrschurchill
17-04-14, 21:31
http://www.bupa.co.uk/individuals/health-assessments/compare-health-assessments/advanced-health

Pretty invasive and had one before but HA is worse this time so not quite ready for it xx

violetflame
10-07-17, 10:40
I've experienced a fluttering pressure under my right ribs for over 6 months now. It feels like a chakra but there is no chakra that I know of in this area.
Recently I heard of a possible explanation, I'm not saying this is what you are all experiencing here as some people say is a pain rather than a pressure.
If you have other symptoms you could be going through the ascension process.
The new "pockets" under the ribs/breast bone are known as a cystalline duaphram. They fill with blood to accommodate integration of higher light frequencies.

carrieannejarman
20-12-23, 19:29
Hiya, just seen ur post n i know it was awhile ago but was wondering if u ever found out wot was causing it or if it went away, I am suffering exactly the same thing, its getting very uncomfortable n the doctors have no answers

carrieannejarman
20-12-23, 19:31
Did u ever find out wot it was?

jackieann3
21-12-23, 05:40
I can't believe how common this is I've had this symptom for about 7 months, I thought if I didn't know better I would say I was pregnant when the baby moves around and don't have much room to move and pushes up in my ribs and also when I sneeze sometimes it feels like a rib is getting stuck over another rib then and has to go back into place its very strange.

Carnation
21-12-23, 09:45
I've had this several times.
Jackieann, that's a very good description, spot on.