PDA

View Full Version : A FRIEND

Laurie28
06-05-04, 10:36
Hiya,

i am actually writing this about a friend

here is a bit of the story

He was out one night and got into a fight and ended up getting hit across the head with a bat/bottle (not sure which) anyway he ended up very ill in hospital (fractured skull and such like)

he is now having panic/anxiety, anger

I don't know the full details as we only talked about it on sunday (crowded pub)

He is scared of going out alone, his confidence has gone, he is very tearful and angry, I think my talking to him and understanding a bit about anxiety etc. Anyway I am very bad at 'talking' and was hoping you guys could give him a bit of support and advice and maybe (with nic's permission) I could print this topic about and give it to him and it would be easier for us to 'talk'

he is seeing a phychiatrist etc but I know that he thinks they haven't a clue as they haven't been through it all

Anyway any responses would be very helpful

Thanks
lucky

Jules31
06-05-04, 12:22
Poor Guy

A similiar thing happened to my friend's boyfriend. He was attacked by six people and had problems for years afterwards. He is fine now which shows you can get over such dreadful things. i don't know exactly what he did but will try and find out.

I would suspect your friend is suffering from PTSD and who wouldn't.

Psychiatrists, I don't think are always the best people to talk to as they are so rushed and in my opinion are usually more interested in giving you meds. Has your friend tried any counselling, if not maybe that would help. Perhaps even coming here and talking to us would help, it's often easier when there is no face to face contact.

Lucky let him know I'm willing to help in any way I can.

Hugs
Jules

Meg
06-05-04, 16:39
Lucky,

Whatever you think we can do to help - we will.

I agree with Jules - PTSD . Hypnosis is good for this.

Don't much see the point of a psychiatrist for him. A psychologist maybe.

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

benoo5
06-05-04, 22:13
hi lucky,hope your feeling well,

ive just had a look at the smilies,to see if they included a star,so i could put one against your name,cos your definately one of the stars of this site.

i think it was last year that i posted about having PTSD,and having terrible flash backs,and i was unable to talk about it.
it was only when i chatted to a chinese doctor,during a coffee break,that i started to find relief....he told me to get an A4 pad,and write down my memories of that awful train crash....then he said relax in a chair,close my eyes,and relive the experience,when the feelings got to bad,he said ..now start writing again,put in as much detail as you can bear...do this daily,and i did.

lucky,this type of mental exposure treatment,really helped me...who knows,a similar exercise,might help your friend,i hope so.

best wishes,hope the families well.......bryan.

Laurie28
07-05-04, 12:08
Thanks guys - i think i will have a talk to him and get more info.

Bryan - you are so kind!! i've missed you - family is great

Love
Lucky

uryjm
07-05-04, 21:33
Lucky
As far as I know, repressed or unfocused anger and anxiety are very closely linked. Perhaps if he addressed this aspect, and spoke to someone about his rage and how to manage it, then his anxiety would diminish too.

Jim

stimpy
11-05-04, 09:27
Oh lucky, poor lad.

A similar thing happened to a friend of mine 2 years ago, he was in a night club and was glassed in the face. He was a victim of mistaken identity.
As far as I know he had no ill effects, other than losing his sense of smell.

I had some mad bloke yelling at me as I was taking my kids to school and became scared of going out alone, lost my confidence, and was tearful and angry.
I felt bad enough then. I can only imagine how horrible and devestating it must be to be beaten up with a baseball bat or bottle.

After a quick chat with my Cuz Ann - the counsellor, she tells me that,
"Some people who have suffered a traumatic, stressful experience may suffer from symptoms of Panic or Post-traumatic stress disorder in days, weeks or even years after the event. Headaches, tummy complaints, immune system problems, dizziness, chest pain, and discomfort in other parts of the body are common in people suffering Panic or PTSD (as if we don't know that already!)It is a normal reaction to an abormal situation."

She suggests cognitive-behavioral therapy, group therapy, and exposure therapy.
She also advices medical advice - for a formal diagnosis and counselling in order to help him recover.

Words of wisdom, there from the great Ann.
I hope they help.

Good luck, and send your friend our love and support.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

Laurie28
11-05-04, 14:43
I am going to try and talk to my friend sometime this week.

His injuries were very serious and the doctors told him if he wasn't so physically fit he would be dead (he used to be a commando).

I will find out from him exactly what help he is getting from doctors therapists etc and pass on some of the advice from above and take it from there

Love
lucky