PDA

View Full Version : Really bummed

SleeplessFog
23-02-12, 02:07
So last month I had one of the least anxious and depressing months in a long time and I have been doing really well.

But this month is a lot different. I found out today at my annual OB/GYN check up that I may be somewhat infertile.

I am sorry if this is TMI but I am sort of upset. I went off bc almost a year ago and I have been irregular ever since. I have never been irregular...ever. I have been waiting to try to have kids until my cycles get regular. But it doesn't seem like its happening and my doctor suggested I try a few times and then they want to put me on Clomid.

I feel like crying a lot. I am more worried about taking any fertility treatments than anything else. I have seen several people I know do IVF and end up with breast cancer.

Secondly, why is this happening? Did I wait too long to have kids? What if it is in my pituitary gland (they think that's where it is). Now my HA is starting to come back and I feel like I am on the edge of an episode of being really depressed.

I can't even tell my mom or sister about this. I am trying really hard not to be affected by it or show my spouse that I am upset. Everyone says to stop stressing because it will work out but I get worried that my anxiety has screwed things up for me. :weep:

Thanks for letting me vent.

ElizabethJane
23-02-12, 21:53
I have had successful IVF which resulted in my son (now fourteen) being born. If you were in the UK I would suggest getting a proper diagnosis of your infertility. Tests can be done to check ovulation, ultrasound scans and blood tests. Also your husband needs to be checked out i.e. sperm count and bloods. In the UK this is best done at a teaching hospital with a good IVF unit. I would resist taking clomid as you will need to be monitored closely to prevent a multiple birth. If you have PCOS clomid will not help as it will increase the chance of you producing multiple follicles. Any type of medical treatment involves risk and with IVF there might be greater chance of some cancers developing.The problem at the moment is that the cancer risk is not fully proven. It is getting the facts and then making a decision about treatment. IVF clinics in the UK have counsellors attached to them and it might be a good idea to arrange to see someone with your husband to talk about your fears around the treatment? I wish you well. EJ.