PDA

View Full Version : Do you think I should take more time off work?

AngelHeart
23-02-12, 02:19
I only went back last Thursday after 6 weeks off due to anxiety and panic, I've taken no meds but thought I had pulled myself through it so decided to go back but I've gone downhill again and am really contemplating taking meds this time to help me cope. I work 4 evenings and they have been really supportive, esp as I've hardly had any time off in the 8 years I've been there. Do you think I should take longer off? I broke down last night in work and my colleagues where fab telling me if I need it to take it. Just worried I'm going to get into trouble xxx

nomorepanic
23-02-12, 02:23
I think you should stick with and not take any meds to be honest.

AngelHeart
23-02-12, 02:40
Why do you think this hun? My hubby doesn't want me to go on meds either, he says he knows I'm strong enough to get through this! What about work, should I take more time off? xx

Adrian Hart
23-02-12, 03:43
if you were to go on the med then later at some point when you were comfortable and fine with your life the doctors decide that its time for you to come off you are deppendent on the doctors to get it right rarther the you knowing when the time is right which ends in anxiety and deppression / or back to square one

trust in your friends . they wont see anything bad happen to you -remember this - they love you .they will keep you from harm and belive it.

Kendra
23-02-12, 08:06
Hi Pauline,

I'm am having the exact same problem as you the minute. Was off 5 weeks with anxiety and panic. Tried Prozac felt ill came off. After a few weeks off them I felt more like myself again. Decided to go back to work. First day believe it or not was fine. 2nd day back to normal and haven't felt normal again since.

I HATE the mornings they are terrible for my last 2 days at work I have managed to stay there the full 11 hours. Don't know how but I have done it.

I am not on any meds and I am trying so hard not to take any. Had a bad day yesterday but if I am honest I did think about why this was happening all day and how I could stop it etc etc. I think I make myself bad.

Woke up this morning sweating again and feeling sick didn't feel the urge to empty me bowls like which is a change. I also was really dizzy last night. I think I am just constantly thinking about how I am feeling and its just going round in circles all the time.

So anyway, my advise which other people have told me on here stick with it. It is really really hard but we can do it!

I might go today and get some Kalms or something it might just take the edge off a bit?

Take care hun x

cathycrumble
23-02-12, 10:44
Me to I couldn't cope with the prozac SE or the cit. I have ok days then because I lost my job I have too much time to think I worry about silly things I so don't want to take meds I was shaking this mornign and retching as was awake at 5am and I cant stop the mind chatter its awful but when I go to see my bloke for the weekend I am ok. I come home on the monday and I start again worry worry. panic panic.

Has anybody tryed valeriam think that is what it is called it's like calms but bit stronger I think.

Cathyxx

---------- Post added at 10:44 ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 ----------

if you were to go on the med then later at some point when you were comfortable and fine with your life the doctors decide that its time for you to come off you are deppendent on the doctors to get it right rarther the you knowing when the time is right which ends in anxiety and deppression / or back to square one

trust in your friends . they wont see anything bad happen to you -remember this - they love you .they will keep you from harm and belive it.

Adrian have you ever took antidepressents? And how do you cope? That's if you do suffer from anxiety/depression.

Cathy xx

AngelHeart
25-02-12, 22:35
Thank you all, decided to stick with going back to work, went in to see my manager and she was very supportive and told me her door was always open, I'm having a phone consultation from a works clinician (sp) next week, was told that they may offer me private councelling all for free :) they want to also ask if theres anything they can do to make my life easier at work , shorter hours e.t.c The company on a whole has been utterly fantastic and I couldn't want for more. My supervisor said if I feel bad and need to go home early just let her know or to say if i'm having a bad night e.t.c. I have Labyrinthitis too (inner ear infec) which causes panic disorder and my eyes and balance go off at times. I'm trying to fight it the best I can :) xxx

kittikat
26-02-12, 00:11
Hi Pauline, your story is very similar to mine. I was off work 12 weeks severe anx/panic but I am on diazepam which I can tolerate (very few side effects) had a bad time on citalopram. I went back to work on a phased return, shorter hours and less days and I am returning full time from this monday :wacko:

My employer/colleagues/manager have also been really supportive and I recently had my telephone consultation with the occupational health people. The report they sent back was very good and suggested quite a few things to be put into place to help me as I am still quite vulnerable at this time. Also had a few bad days at work and basically had the same support as you regarding this. I really did consider going off sick again but have stuck with it and TBH I think it's the best thing for my recovery. I know I can go home if I feel bad and I don't have to travel in too early as I am not at my best in the mornings.

Sorry you are having a bit of a rough time but I think you have done really well so far especially without meds. Keep up the good work :) You will have ups and downs and it wont be easy but just remember how far you have come...you should be really proud of yourself. Keep positive :hugs: Kitti xx

Pipkin
26-02-12, 00:23
Pauline,

I think you're right to keep working - I find it essential to keep me distracted and active.

See how it goes managing without meds. If you can do it without, that's excellent. If you feel you're struggling, go and have a chat with your GP. Meds can help but there are other ways too.

Take care

Pp x

AngelHeart
26-02-12, 00:25
Hi Pauline, your story is very similar to mine. I was off work 12 weeks severe anx/panic but I am on diazepam which I can tolerate (very few side effects) had a bad time on citalopram. I went back to work on a phased return, shorter hours and less days and I am returning full time from this monday :wacko:

My employer/colleagues/manager have also been really supportive and I recently had my telephone consultation with the occupational health people. The report they sent back was very good and suggested quite a few things to be put into place to help me as I am still quite vulnerable at this time. Also had a few bad days at work and basically had the same support as you regarding this. I really did consider going off sick again but have stuck with it and TBH I think it's the best thing for my recovery. I know I can go home if I feel bad and I don't have to travel in too early as I am not at my best in the mornings.

Sorry you are having a bit of a rough time but I think you have done really well so far especially without meds. Keep up the good work :) You will have ups and downs and it wont be easy but just remember how far you have come...you should be really proud of yourself. Keep positive :hugs: Kitti xx

Awww, thank you so much, thats a lovely post. No one can understand what you go through unless they've been there themselves. I was put on prozac but they were awful and I ended up having hallucinations on them, made me feel so much worse! I do have the odd really bad anxious days ( and nights ) but I know for me they only last a couple of days. I really have tried to fight my way through this, I go the gym , I walk everyday even if I feel worse after. The thing is with having Labs too has made my anxiety and panic so much worse :( The Dr wont give me dizepam, I did ask but he said it was addictive so just had to fight this myself with nothing.

I'm glad I went back to work though as I knew it was a hurdle I would have to overcome, wether it be now or later. I had to do it anyway.

I'm glad you've got everything in work sorted for you too and I hope eveything goes well for you on Monday :) You sound like a very strong person and you should be proud of yourself also. We know how hard it can be and by taking little steps we are getting stronger every day xxx

kittikat
26-02-12, 00:36
Thank you Pauline, you too sound very strong...I think we have to be or this anxiety just takes over. I know lots of docs won't give diaz, but it is rather helpful I have been lucky and have used it on an as and when basis for some time now. It's become part of my survival kit lol, not sure how strong I would be without it though. Please let me know how you get on, as you say, little steps....:unsure:

Keep me posted..feel free to PM me if you need someone to offload to anytime xx

AngelHeart
26-02-12, 00:43
Pauline,

I think you're right to keep working - I find it essential to keep me distracted and active.

See how it goes managing without meds. If you can do it without, that's excellent. If you feel you're struggling, go and have a chat with your GP. Meds can help but there are other ways too.

Take care

Pp x

I'm trying really hard but I hve labyrinhitis too which leaves me off balance and eyes out of focus so its really hard to work like this. Trying to do it without meds as so many people say it will be easier in the long run as your mind gets stronger because your not masking it . Thank you for you're reply xxx

---------- Post added at 00:43 ---------- Previous post was at 00:42 ----------

Thank you Pauline, you too sound very strong...I think we have to be or this anxiety just takes over. I know lots of docs won't give diaz, but it is rather helpful I have been lucky and have used it on an as and when basis for some time now. It's become part of my survival kit lol, not sure how strong I would be without it though. Please let me know how you get on, as you say, little steps....:unsure:

Keep me posted..feel free to PM me if you need someone to offload to anytime xx

Thank you hun, keep in touch as I would like to know how your doing too :) xxx

Pipkin
26-02-12, 00:47
Pauline,

It shows how strong you are to keep working especially feeling dizzy and off balance, without meds too - much admiration from me!

Take care

Pip x

AngelHeart
26-02-12, 01:03
Pauline,

It shows how strong you are to keep working especially feeling dizzy and off balance, without meds too - much admiration from me!

Take care

Pip x

Aww hunni, thank you, that brought a tear to my eye , I really dont think i'm strong even though my hubby tells me every day. Been through a lot of things in my life I could write a book on it so I suppose I accept and carry on the best I can and hope in my next lifetime I'm rewarded for the hardships I've had to endure in this one. But I have a very supportive hubby and lovely children and some good friends and of course my friends on here to keep me going , we all need someone and this site has really helped me along, we all truely understand each other and what we are going though, hope ur ok xx