PDA

View Full Version : New on Cipralex..

belle
23-02-12, 09:55
I had ALWAYS refused to go on medication - didn't want to deal with the side effects, too scared and being emetophobic that added to the worries. However, i've been on 5mg for 9 days now. Felt a few sidies but nothing too bad. Extremely exhausted for the first 4 days, to the point of being horizontal, couldn't move and slight heavy breathing (which is still there a little) ... Now it appears that most side effects have gone. I don't feel as depressed, saying that, before i went on the medication i had a breakdown - i don't feel anything really. I AM angered easily and have very little patience .....but that might not be a side effect...that might just be me ;)

I don't know what else to say about it really. I am taking it at night - waking up about 4am starving (can see why people put on weight on this drug) and i am actually sleeping BETTER than i have done in years, so that IS a bonus. I read the side effects and i was so bad before going on it, that NOTHING in the world would have been any worse than what i was going through and it has worked out not too bad at the moment.

Lets hope it continues...

smb25
23-02-12, 21:22
Well done on starting on the recovery road. You seem to be very positive and that can only be a good thing so keep it up! Take each day as it comes, just think that nothing can be worse that what you have already been through!

Cipralex has never made me put on weight, other AD's have but not this one. Maybe i am just lucky there??? I take mine in the morning.

You may find that you are put up to 10mgs in a week or so as thats the recommended dose for anxiety, I have been on that dose for a year now and doing well.

Still have the blips now and again but in general a lot better.

Best Wishes x

stomper1999
13-03-12, 23:16
Good to hear you on on the path !

I have been on Cipralex (10mg) for almost two years now. I experimented taking it at different times, initially starting off first thing in the morning, but finding had real problems with drowsiness mid-afternoon. Learned from the doctor that the drug peaks in the bloodstream after about 7 hrs, which corresponded with the drowsiness. I changed to taking it at 4 pm which meant the drowsiness peaked at bedtime which was perfect and I started getting good sleep, as you noted also.

Now I am taking it at about 2 pm, as I find I start feeling anxious sometimes if I leave it to 4 pm, and so far, it is working quite well and still getting the benefit of decent sleep.

Experiment with the time when you take it, after you get stablized on it for a while.

Take care.

Stomper

englishinparis
15-03-12, 00:15
Hi belle

Making the first step towards taking a drug such as Cipralex is a real achievement. So well done! Ive just started on it too. I have also had emetophobia for as long as I remember - so naturally, reading about all the possible side effects of Cipralex really worried me.

But I've been on it for 2 weeks now. And although I have been feeling nauseas - it is fairly mild. I recommend mint tea, or just hot water. It gets you to burp and soothes your stomach. Also, after eating, I find Rennie's tablets really useful if food makes you feel grotty at all.

Anyway, its great news to hear you are doing well already. I'm sure it will only get better and better from here. Once the Cipralex starts to kick in after a while, I'm sure you and I both will reap the rewards!

Keep on trucking + good luck

Englishinparis

grotbags
23-04-12, 19:26
How are you getting on with the Cipralex? I found that I slept well on it too. I have heard it commonly causes insomnia, but with me it seemed to stop my insomnia. I didn't gain weight on it either, but I only took it for about 9 months.