PDA

View Full Version : Diazepam etc (can be life changing-for the better)

unknowngirl44
23-02-12, 11:22
Hi guys, I'm new to this and have chronic GAD and OCD. Just noticed a lot of negative posts about benzos on here, and thought I should just add my perspective. I listened to all the potential negatives of them and decided not to take them-due to that choice I had 15 years of anxiety-hell. Now I take both diazepam and lorazepam (Lorazepam when I go into a situation where I may panic, and diazepam if the generalized anxiety is too much). I have been taking them for years now do not abuse them and have got some v important parts of my life back (social, work, ability to go practice religion). I wish I had not listened to the fear-mongers. Yes, some people get side effects. But worse than vommiting from your own fear on a daily basis? Worse than your body developing physical damage (in my case oesophagus and bladder) from the masses of adrenalin constantly coursing through your body when you are severely anxious? Worse than not having a life? If so, don't take them. If not, and your doctor thinks it's right for you, then take them (as prescribed-best as and when needed to not develop tolerance). They've given me my life back and I thank God every day for the people who took the time to develop them :).

Rain
23-02-12, 11:29
Hello and welcome to No More Panic.

It's good to see a post that shows the positive side of medication. I too believe medication can be a saviour once you get the right one. I was in a bad way until I discovered Abilify which was used to treat my psychosis. Thanks to my medication I am able to be free of all that now.

I think all medication has some side effects. There's no such thing as a free lunch. But the positives can outweight the negatives once you find what's right for you. It's so encouraging to hear that medication has been able to give you your life back.

london
23-02-12, 11:32
your 100% right

pinkdove
23-02-12, 11:32
:welcome: to nmp, i'm really glad you have found something that works for you, always nice to read positive stories xx

haz
23-02-12, 21:18
Hi guys, I'm new to this and have chronic GAD and OCD. Just noticed a lot of negative posts about benzos on here, and thought I should just add my perspective. I listened to all the potential negatives of them and decided not to take them-due to that choice I had 15 years of anxiety-hell. Now I take both diazepam and lorazepam (Lorazepam when I go into a situation where I may panic, and diazepam if the generalized anxiety is too much). I have been taking them for years now do not abuse them and have got some v important parts of my life back (social, work, ability to go practice religion). I wish I had not listened to the fear-mongers. Yes, some people get side effects. But worse than vommiting from your own fear on a daily basis? Worse than your body developing physical damage (in my case oesophagus and bladder) from the masses of adrenalin constantly coursing through your body when you are severely anxious? Worse than not having a life? If so, don't take them. If not, and your doctor thinks it's right for you, then take them (as prescribed-best as and when needed to not develop tolerance). They've given me my life back and I thank God every day for the people who took the time to develop them :).

I agree. As long as you don't abuse them.

I have taken diazepam for about 10 years now, although I am reducing my dose gradually but my psychiastrist would happily prescribe me 15mg a day. I'm on 11mg now.

Your body does develop a tolerance to them though and they have less of an effect, but like I said, as long you don't increase the dose to achieve this, they can keep you on an even keel.

Both my current and previous psychiastrists were both adamant that they are an important part of my treatment.

Regards.
Haz. :)

cathycrumble
23-02-12, 21:21
Do you drink on them Hazel?

Cathy xx

haz
24-02-12, 00:29
No I don't Cathy and I personally wouldn't advise it. :)