PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram Side effect...strange

mummyruth
23-02-12, 11:24
Hi

Just wanted to see if anyone has had this side effect of the medication. I'm on day 4 of 20mg so I have had a fair few unpleasant side effects but for the past 2 days I have had around 2 hours of feeling absolutely great...elated even. I take my medication in the morning and this has happened both times between 5 and 7pm. Then I have a massive slump where I just want to sleep. I'm guessing it's just my body trying to sort the levels of serotonin out but I wasn't expecting to feel any positive effects for at least a couple of weeks.

Anyone else had this?

Thanks
Ruth

mr.mister
23-02-12, 11:32
The first week I started on 20mg and within 2-3 hours I just wanted to sleep, and apart from the odd headache for a couple of weeks those are the only symptons I had. It will pass. Don't be afraid of the symptons it's just signs the tablets are getting to work. I slowly upped to 30mg and then 40mg and feel a lot better. You can still feel down about things that is only natural but you will be able to cope with all sorts of things you couldn't previously.

You will get moments of extreme happiness (I did anyway) and you will see glimpses of your old self, once they have fully taken effect and you are on the correct dose you will find things a lot easier.

pinkdove
23-02-12, 11:35
hi i always feel better around that time of night too, don't know if it's the meds or not, but i'm just glad to feel more normal even for a while, i know that cit, has side effects, and it could well be that, i used to take mine at night, and still felt better in the evening...hope you start to feel the benefits soon xx

mummyruth
23-02-12, 11:43
Thanks for the replys.

It is the extreme happiness I feel strange with, or maybe that's just my normal self coming back slowly. Think maybe you get so used to being low and anxious that happiness does feel strange?! Fingers crossed the brief spells of good feelings will get longer. I didn't expect to get any benefits this soon anyway so that's a bonus x

mr.mister
23-02-12, 11:49
Happiness can feel very odd, I almsot found it scary when I started to feel better. I was so used to being down and miserable I thought that's how I should feel, but once you start to feel better it can be life changing.

pinkdove
23-02-12, 11:49
yes it is a really good sign you are seeing improvements this soon :D

i think you are right it can feel strange when we feel normal, but hopefully the good feelings will last longer, till you finally feel yourself xx