PDA

View Full Version : Iron tablets (ferrous fumarate) (asking about allergic reactions)

xJust_Sarahx
23-02-12, 11:58
Hi
i took my first iron tablet ferrous fumarate about an hour ago now, and i was wondering if i was going to have an "breathing" allergic reaction would i have had one by now? and what are the chances of having a breathing allergic reaction to an iron tablet? i have to take one 3 times a day, and i really dont want to but i hate feeling the way i do and plus im pregnant and need to make sure baby is safe so not just me to think about.

I will be taking another at about 2:30 but i really am scared to incase i stop breathing :(

some people seem to think it just affects you stomach wise if u do have side affects, i know thats unpleasant but i would be able to handle this more than i would with breathing side affects.

i also am on aspirin to help with blood flow to cord or something like that because last pregnancy i was abit small for dates at times, and i asked at chemist if iron tablets were safe to take with the aspirin and they said yes.

so what do people think?
thanks

xfilme
23-02-12, 15:00
you can not have an allergic reaction to ferrous fumerate as its not as medication its a supplement. i presume you were prescribed it for iron deficiency. these tablets are water soluble, meaning any excess your body doesnt need is excreted in your urine. The most you will experience as a side effect, is possibly a bit of an upset tummy, which can be solved by eating food when you take it, and your urine may change to a darker colour. Your stools will also be a lot darker. Do not fret. you cannot have an allergic reaction because iron is already present in your body. For the same reason you couldnt be allergic to vitamin C. Its part of your body chemistry x

Savannah
23-02-12, 15:10
I take these, much gentler on the stomach than other iron preparations I've been prescribed.

You'd have an allergic reaction within the first half an hour. I had one years ago to an anti d and my breathing went bad, and a feeling of being on fire in my chest and head, within 30 minutes.

Rachel W
23-02-12, 19:31
talking of vitamin C. Take the tablet with Orange Juice if you can. It helps the absorption of iron and will actually reduce any side-effects such as dark stools/constipation. It really works.