PDA

View Full Version : poundings in head?

lindajane1971
23-02-12, 17:16
Hello everyone,

A couple of times lately ive been getting this thing -

if i stand up, say to go to the kitchen i get a pounding in my head, its like a hard pulse in my head/ears/face/nose. It lasts 5-10 seconds then goes just as quick as it started.
I thought maybe it was a blood pressure thing, so when it happend just now i quickly took my bp and it was 119/73 which seems pretty normal to me!

As its happend a few times in the last few weeks the anxiety is starting to creep into my thoughts that of course its some sorta hidden tumor or another catastrophic condition about to rear its head

Should i go to the doctor??

Linda

Carys
23-02-12, 18:47
Can I make a suggestion to you ? I think you should have your bloods taken to check for anaemia. I am not a medical person, but this started happening to me in the months leading up to becoming very anaemic. When you get this pounding, is it kind of quite slow and you feel a bit 'whooshy' in the head and your eyes 'white out' a bit ?

You can get some odd effects also from blood pressure changes, if you have been relaxed and then suddenly become active. Maybe have your blood pressure also taken at the doctor to double check that your results are accurate ?

countrygirl
23-02-12, 20:11
YOur blood pressure is on the low side and given that you took it when you wre anxious then when you are calm it is probably even lower and this would also give you the head sensation when going from sitting to standing due to low blood pressure. Totally harmless but annoying symptom.

It is a good idea to check you are not anaemic if you haven't had a blood test in past few months just in case.

lindajane1971
23-02-12, 22:55
my last bloods were at xmas and my iron levels were fine, i am a veggie so eat lots of greens so i doubt that my iron level has changed that much since xmas
my eyes are ok when it happens carys and i dont have any wooshy feelings either, its just the pounding, another way i could describe it would be like if you were turned upside down a minute and you know when you get up you feel your blood pounding in your head/ears - its exactly like that but ive not been upside down lol

crystal17
23-02-12, 23:03
Not sure what it is, but I get this too in the exact same way you describe.

sherylee xx
24-02-12, 00:51
i get the exact same thing hun but couldnt describe it, can you also hear it like in your ears it sounds like a woosh woosh woosh sound aswell as the poundin feelin cause i can xx

lrforge
24-02-12, 00:52
I get this too, my theory is very tight shoulder muscles. My BP is normal but I have daily sore and very tight muscles...

MidnightCalm
24-02-12, 02:03
I get it a lot, I used to get it when I was younger too. Sometimes when I stand up quick or I get scared I hear my heart iin my head and it actually hurts with each pound

Kelley
24-02-12, 03:55
Hey.
I get this too...sometimes I need to hang on to something cause it makes me dizzy. It's called postural hypotension! But not anything that needs treatment unless ur passing out. It's when your blood pressure drops at the time you get up. Your heart needs to beat a bit faster to to bring your blood pressure back up which is prob what your feeling with the pounding. Somedays I don't get it but then I'll go through a week or so where I get t alot!
Nothing to worry about its very common.

Kel

tnt808
24-02-12, 06:02
I just got this- I have a bit of anxiety right now as well. Seeing as we get symptoms without actually feeling anxious- I feel anxious so I am definitely chalking it up to that.
Not sure what all the talk about getting your bloods checked is- Im pregnant and have had my bloods checked often, and nothing came back about being anemic?

Its just another lovely symptom! :)

lindajane1971
24-02-12, 18:51
thanks for the replies, its a bit of a relief to know that others have felt it too :)

ive noticed im also feeling a slight pressure around my nose and ears too, someone today said it could be sinus probs and to try some sinutab or similar, ive a fear of medication in any form though and am too scrared to try any!!

grrr blooming anxiety!!!!!!!!

Carys
24-02-12, 20:34
ive a fear of medication in any form though

Snap ! Well, kind of snap. Up until the week before last I had not even taken a paracetamol for 13 years....such was my fear. Then I had a chronic toothache and was desperate. I tried a nibble off one :blush: then a bit more, and by the end of the day I was cramming them in LOL (once I was sure that I was not going to have an allergic reaction, and of course within the dosage limits)

During this toothache incident I also managed to surmount my local anaesthetic fear, and have since had 10 local injections. Funny how when pain becomes extreme it becomes a bigger problem than the fear, well that was the case for me anyway. Still have that huge medication fear in the background though, need to conquer it as sometime in the future I will need something no doubt.