PDA

View Full Version : I need to go home now!!!

MissSunshine
24-02-12, 01:20
Does anyone have a sudden rush to get home when there out?
I'd be in my supermarket shopping then all of a sudden become weak, feel sick and panicky for no reason just want to head home.
homes my safe place.

trouble is it stops me from having days out! :(

Tommya77
24-02-12, 01:25
Happens to me all the time. I feel like I am going to pass out, and everything feels spacey.

You aren't alone. Try to go when it isn't busy, and build up to a crowd.

MidnightCalm
24-02-12, 02:01
I get this all the time, I could just stay in forever and that's not healthy. As soon as I'm out I'm out of my comfort zone, I've spent so long sitting in and trying to make myself feel better and doing things that make me comfortable that when I'm out it makes me really spacey and scared. I have nowhere to lay down in peace or to think or to calm down, no dvd's/games to shove on to occupy my mind, people looking at me, just generally no quick escape, it's overpowering and I hate it :C

macc noodle
24-02-12, 07:09
Yes and Yes - used to happen to me all the time - but I used to make a deal with myself ! I would start off by going in for just a couple of items - just to prove to myself that I could go in and actually do the "shop".

Then once I had made my small purchases and put them in the car, I would then go back into the shop for the rest of my shopping - I know it sounds silly but it did work simply because all the fear I had about the shopping was reduced by having a small walk around and buying a few items.

If the fear overcame me again once I was in there - I simply used to say, OK just get butter, cheese and milk and then you can go if you still feel grotty....... Usually did the trick and I was able bit by bit to get it done.

The sense of achievement once the boot is full of groceries and you are on your way home again is immeasureable :D and plus the fact each time you do it you are training your brain to believe that the urges to flee the shops have no place in your thoughts.

Macc N
xx

Rach29
24-02-12, 09:05
yeah i have that ill be in a que and feel panicky and start over breathing i tell myself its fine your ok nothings going to happen it will pass in a bit just stay calm thats how i cope with it its such a pain isnt it

Jaco45er
24-02-12, 09:22
Good advice from Macc there :)

With anxiety, you relate to your safe zone (usually your house) as a place that is safe and anxiety free. When you are away from home, and anxiety strikes, you want to get back to your "safe" place and the anxiety will go away.

What is actually happening is, anticipation anxiety, you think you are going to pass out, make a fool of yourself or people will see you are "not right" (in a distressed kind of way).

Macc's way of dealing with it was exactly like mine, and where if I did have to leave, I didn't see it as a failure, but a practice, and I would practice again, small steps.

It's worth mentioning though, supermarkets are a particular issue for an anxiety sufferer. When you have a big bright open space, and usually busy and loud, all that information being received by your eyes to be processed by your brain can overwhelm a sensitive mind, and that manifests itself with that weak, panicky, spacy, surreal feeling and to stop it, you think you need to rush home.

Check out Claire Weekes books if you haven't done so already, she explains it perfectly.

TC

Jaco

Lost_L
24-02-12, 11:32
Yup, I suffer in this way. Barely go out now because of it, this is how I started feeling panicky/sick/dizzy when I was out and it escalated to not daring to go places at all. On meds now so hopefully will get back out and live my life properly soon.

Take care and remember, being out is a good thing. Don't let these feelings take over!

Carys
24-02-12, 11:39
Great advice from Jaco and MaccN !

This is a common feeling in anxiety sufferers, needing to 'get out' of places and get back to the safety of home. For example - I used to position myself near doors/exits when at school events, so that I could get away if I wanted to. I believe it is a fairly classic route to agoraphobia. You've been given some good tips above so don't think I can add to them with anything more useful.

MissSunshine
24-02-12, 12:50
Thank you all so much for your advise.
I am heading out now and every single comment has given me the confidence, just the thought of i'm not alone has helped me!
When I need to go to the shops for a couple of things im perfectly fine, but when it is a huge list I freak out panicking, Macc what you said is very good advise, just wish i had a car :weep:

I have to position myself near exits so i know i can escape fast for fresh air, esp in trains and cinemas!

angel wings
24-02-12, 14:04
I also have this problem i work myself up to go out get half way down the road and have to turn back and come home
i sometimes wont go out unless i have someone else with me as i feel to dizzy and am afraid of passing out.
but managed to go out on my own to the shops yesterday and praised myself for it sounds silly but little things like that help and build you confidence for the next time :)

paula lynne
24-02-12, 14:17
Bp usually goes up when we panic, so the chances of fainting are really low.....
I get this everyday, but I force myself out, I even make hubby leave me alone in the supermarket....its not pleasant, but Im damded if Im letting this flipping feeling ruin the rest of my life. Take a breather, stand still, use an ipod, or just go in for a few items......whatever works...just dont run....dont let it win. Go for it! :D

(well done angel wings for going to the shop yesterday, a great achievement!) :flowers:

angel wings
24-02-12, 20:43
I Have to admit i do my big shop online now cause i cant face the queues...it so annoying when you want to do things but feel that you cant face it
i used to love going shopping before i had anxiety but am determind not to let it stop me and do have to force myself out at times will get there i hope...