PDA

View Full Version : The Recession and Anxiety

Rain
24-02-12, 16:47
I was in the chat room today and we started talking about the recession and how badly it is hitting everyone and adding to their anxiety.

Personally I feel that my partner and I are just one crisis away from disaster. If the big end went on the car, a pet needed an expensive operation or one of us got physically ill (you have to pay here in Ireland) we would simply be unable to cope.

My partner works full time and yet in the past 18 months we have had our phone cut off numerous times, had our electricity cut off for 3 days (everything in the freezer had to be binned), and went without heating oil for 8 months, during which time our bedroom developed mildew. She has what would be regarded as a ‘good job’ yet many of her colleagues are in a similar position.

There is no joy when she is paid except to decide which particular wolf to keep from the door this week. I am not entitled to any benefits because it is all means tested here and if your partner works you basically get nothing. We are unable to replace worn out shoes or but a new set of pillowcases when we need them. Tyres must be left to go balder than is safe. We eat a lot of toast. We will have to find around 100 euro for my dentist appointment on Monday.

We are keeping our heads above water- JUST- but dread something happening that we can’t cope with. It makes life pretty miserable at times. It is down right scary. Our parents are long gone and we have no one to whom we could say, ‘Lend us twenty euro until pay day, will you?’

The depressing news is this is set to continue for years and years. I wonder how much worse it can get because I’m not sure how much more we can stand before we go under. I will be an old lady by the time the recession ends.

I know vast numbers of us are in the same boat. How do you cope and how do you stop getting depressed and panicking about the uncertain future?

macc noodle
24-02-12, 17:10
Hmmm Rain I am sure your post will resonate with many people.

I must admit to suffering wobbles from time to time wondering what shape old age is going to look like in this current climate.

I do wonder how much more expensive food will become, fuel and utilities too - these are indeed worrying times.

I guess that the answer is to try and find some sunshine through the dark clouds and not to dwell on that which cannot be changed by us.

:hugs:

swgrl09
24-02-12, 17:17
These are frightening times, definitely. I am sorry that you are struggling so much, and wish there was a way to offer some comfort.

It is rough over here too. If it weren't for the new health care law, I would not have health insurance as I am only working part-time and not offered it through work. Luckily because of the new law I can be on my dad's through his teaching job until I am 26 years old. If it wasn't for that, I don't know what I'd do! And I know a lot of people who are not as lucky as I am.

I graduated from my undergraduate studies right in the midst of the recession over here in 2009. So many of my friends have not found jobs even still. Lots of them (myself included) originally had to take unpaid work just to get our foot in the door at a company and hope that one day they would pay us. It's scary, it truly is.

I feel so lucky that my boyfriend and I work, as so many people cannot. I work with senior citizens in low-income housing, and it is so hard to see them not be able to afford the healthcare and home care services that they need to survive.

The recession is definitely a cause of anxiety for many people. I hope things begin to turn around for you soon.

Lost_L
24-02-12, 23:00
Rain,
You make a good point, money and the recession has a big impact on people's anxiety.
Personally, I am currently a student and therefore get a loan, however I never have any of this left by the next installment and also have a hefty overdraft! Luckily I have a boyfriend who works a good amount of hours aswell as studying so If I'm struggling I can turn to him (not that I enjoy this!!) My big problems will start when I graduate in a few months, jobs are few and far between for graduates and I don't currently have a part time job (I have earlier in my studies but my current anxiety/agorophobia situation means that I can't manage at the moment).
I worry about the impact that this will have on me in the future as no job means no money which will increase my anxiety and then impact on my ability to get a job - vicious circle!
x

haz
24-02-12, 23:07
It's hard! I say I refuse to worry about money cos it's only bits of paper with the Queen's head on it, well, over here in the UK. But it's not! My Gas, Electricity and phone direct debits have gone up, I'm struggling to pay credit card bills, had to get my fence/shed fixed (£200) after two really bad storms and the car is making a rattling noise under the driver's seat now. Food seems to be going up in price by the day! It seems to be one thing after another!

I think there are few people who aren't feeling the recession right now and I don't think it's going to get any better in the immediate future either.

flossie
25-02-12, 09:17
It's OK to cut back but there comes a time when there's nothing to cut back on. My sister and I live month to month. We scrape by - just. I get really annoyed at people who call it 'the affluent south.' Not for us. Higher food prices, (a family friend had a grocery store in Lanashire and she cannot believe the costs of foodstuffs here) more expensive housing etc. Even insurance premiums are more expensive because of the postcode. The basic wage is the basic wage wherever in the UK you are. Our higher expenses on basics possibly means we are actually less well off than in other areas.
My review for change from IB to the new ESA is in place. If I lose that I have no idea how we will keep our heads above water. It is the difference between just holding it together to getting into financial trouble.

If anyone has any financial difficulties and worries the TV man Martin Lewis has an excellent website 'moneysavingexpert.com'
There is lots of information such as changing your credit balance to a zero percent card to pay of debts. The forum is a great place to ask for advice too. Anything from negotiating the best deal from your TV/phone/BB provider, benefits help, banking, where to find the best bargain, making meals stretch further. You name it it's probably on there.

Goldfinch
13-08-14, 10:46
I know this is an old thread but I came across it and I just wondered how people are coping now - is there any sense that the recession is over in terms of how people live from day to day? Most people I know have not really felt any benefit yet.