PDA

View Full Version : My Story-Please Read..

chl_hobbs
25-02-12, 09:42
Hi all, I just wanted to share my story as Im looking for some advice and help from people who 'understand' how i feel etc... It's been so hard lately.

In August 2011 i was due to have a routine day operation to diagnose endometriosis and perhaps cut it out if it was present.

When i came around, i was in a lot of pain and complained to the nurse who was by my side. My whole upper abdomen was in severe pain and i could tell something was wrong as the nurse got the anaesthestist and the surgeon. Apparently my blood pressure dropped dangerously low and my pulse went sky high. The surgeon's face looked so anxious and i remember the anaesthetist literally hanging off the fluids to get them into me quickly.

I was rushed by a blue light ambulance to the main local hospital. I cant remember a lot of what happened apart from the paramedics telling me i was probably ok as my bp and pulse was ok.... The next thing i remember is being in a room with a lot of people around me (including my partner) and them telling me i was bleeding internally and needed a second life saving operation. I clearly remember a man getting me to sign a consent form and him telling me that id lost a lot of blood and that there was a good chance i might not make it through the op. At that point i asked my partner for my mobile phone and to dial my house phone. I rang and left a message saying goodbye to my 2 year old daughter and telling her how much i love her. There were loads of people around me and they were telling me i'd be in intensive care when i woke up and might have a tube down my throat etc etc. I remember being wheeled into the theatre and telling my partner i love him. The last thing i recall is begging the anaesthetist not to let me die as i had a little girl.

It turned out that somehow the original surgeon had cut my spleen. Id lost half my blood and had a 4hour operation. I was in intensive care for a week, then in a surgical ward. when i was released from hospital i began having severe panic. I would pace the house, convinced i was dying and that i was bleeding inside again. I would shake all the time and phoned 999 countless amounts of time and kept being readmitted.

Im now on escitalopram, and more recently pregabalin to help the panic. I still have flashbacks and nightmares.I had a bit of cbt but the lady kept cancelling and im now awaiting a new counsellor. My surgeon has referred me to a psychiatrist.

I constantly think something is wrong with me. I have a massive scar from the middle of my ribs down to my pubic bone. Im in pain a lot of the time. At the moment i am obsessed with thinking i have a blood clot (even though the drs have told me that the likelihood of this 6months later is that of a normal person...) I keep on taking myself to a+e or urgent care, and i get admitted to hospital constantly. Medically my surgeon says im ok, but i dont ever believe anyone.

Im so depressed. Im a teacher and i cant go back to work yet which financially is putting so much pressure on my family.

Please, any help or advice would be so much appreciated.

Charlotte xxxx

Jamesk
25-02-12, 09:48
No advice I can give Charlotte, but my best wishes and thoughts are with you.

All I can say is it sounds terrible, and in some ways it is no surprise you are anxious and panic.

I hope things improve for you.

eternally optimistic
26-02-12, 18:33
Hi Charlotte

Your experience has, no doubt, left you with many scars to your mind and I am sure with time and the right sort of "therapy", you will be able to regain the trust that your body and mind is alright.

I cant give advice either, other than that I am sure there is a counsellor of some description who you can talk your experiences through with.

The phsychiatrist is probably a very useful professional to visit and I would recommend taking any options given to you, until it helps.

Although, our experiences very very different, I hope you get all the best opportunities to turn your situation around and that you do not fester, like I have for so many years!!!

Best wishes and I hope your health continues to get better.

J

committeddoxy
18-03-12, 10:11
I was very sad to read your story. And wish you all the wonderful things in life. I don't have the same experience to compare but I have been in situations where I believed I was about to die. As a PTSD sufferer may I say that I find some youtube meditations very helpful when my brain insists on replaying anxious moments. There's one where there's an image of leaves in water and you 'write' your intrusive thought onto the leaf and watch it float away downstream. It's part of a therapy drawing on Buddhism and Mindfulness. Raised on a farm I find it similar to walking in the spring and making yourself notice the 'here and now', the catkins and daffodils.
I also find working with clay very helpful, there's the bashing about of clay to prepare it then shaping, and your mind can wander but somehow it's not in the harmful way that it can be sometimes: there's something healing about busying your hands in repetive creative actions.
All the best to you and your family,
Doxy

---------- Post added at 10:11 ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 ----------

I have been thinking about this, and there is something about this happening at the hands of the NHS. I also have endometriosis (level 3) and was booked in for a hysterectomy, but the whole structure around the event was so disempowering.

I already had PTSD but there was something very powerful about people who are supposed to help you letting you down.

Please contact your solicitor and make sure you have all your financial losses covered by the hospital. It's only fair. I made the choice that I could cope without making a claim and consequences have meant I have raised my son in the continual stress of poverty when before my main PTSD incident I was a successful consultant in the higher earning tax bracket. Looking back this was me prioriting the wider community over my child, something I will always regret. So I would urge you to take legal advice early.

In my experience if you let the hospital know this you will immediately receive better service, sad but true.

All the best.
Doxy