PDA

View Full Version : Assertiveness

Galaxy
25-02-12, 15:32
I'm not quite sure what category this comes under but it is causing me a lot of anxiety and worry.

I have a lot of trouble standing up for myself even when I know I am in the right. I am terrified that people are going to 'gang up' on me. This has happened in the past and it is a horrible feeling.

A situation occurred at work recently where I was asked to do something which wasn't in my job description and I did it but kept quiet but I am very angry with myself for letting myself be walked all over.

It is not just at work where I find it difficult to be assertive but in other areas of my life and it is really getting me down. I hate the feeling of being put upon and pushed around but at the same time I am terrified of being ganged up on.

Are there others out there who know how I feel and have had similar experiences?

Thanks for any replies.

---------- Post added at 15:32 ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 ----------

I would also like to add to my previous post that I think being unassertive is making me ill. I hate confrontations and try and please people so that they will like me. I don't have many friends and I think bad experiences in the past with not standing up for myself has put me off making any more. This is really getting me down. I have been on an Assertiveness Course in the past but it putting it into practice scares the hell out of me so I would really like to hear from others who have been or are going through the same thing.